Are There Any Decent Ones Left ?

OFDPOS

Well in my case I bought local; and the dealer didn't mind. My Texas and Florida car purchases were eBay and auto trader, they didn't mind. If you are willing to pay $7500 for a good rig they shouldn't mind. If we are arguing over a $1800 rats nest they will mind; but the context of the gentlemen's requirement was a good rig. Calling an independent mech has never cost me more than $100. I simply look them up, ask them if they would be willing to inspect for 100 bucks for 1 hour of time and they always usually do. I had one guy steer me clear of a ford class c that way and later watched it for sale all over the country as each buyer got it unseen and pitched it. I can't really believe I am the only one that does this...

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well people are going to take pictures of what they want you to see nothing more iPod or $1000 camera. If I had one for sale I'm afraid I would tell them to come have a look I would take a few and email them but beyond that they are either interested or wasting my time. It is all was best to buy local. I would go 300 miles or more just to look at some thing pictures are only 2D and nothing beats hands on any one can talk a good story been listening to TV ads recently? If you really want it bad enough the trip if nothing else is an adventure.

I have sold quite a number of toyhomes just listed on CL emailed a few pictures if they are interested they will come. I have always been honest may have lost some by being too honest but I must sleep at night. These little units we have are not perfect but most things are repairable. If people do not understand this maybe they should buy a gas hog or quit complaining.

Rich

http://sacramento.cr...3353438914.html

What's your first impressions on this one ?

This one was on ebay not too long ago. Didn't probably because of the lilage. The general conensus on the v6 seems to be that they don't last when in a heavy motorhome. This one seems well cared for though and the price can't be beat. I see no drooping along the underside of the overhead bed which is good. Unlikely that there is any major water damage. If it's still there definately worth a look. Sometimes they forget to delete tham

Linda S

Well I called the guy on it , he seemed pretty cool at first , then when I started asking questions : is there any dry rot , how old are the tires etc...

His demeanor started to change a bit.. I had mentioned that I had been looking at a lot of them and his comment was oh your a looky lou , kinda hit me wrong , I said no it was that what the people were saying and not showing in the photos was not adding up...

He said he still had it , so I'll call him this weekend and possibly go up and look at it..

LINDA S

Do you recall what the asking price was for it on e-bay ?

we bought this one local in our town a year ago my son found it 87 dolphon 22re auto 66000 miles

Well I called the guy on it , he seemed pretty cool at first , then when I started asking questions : is there any dry rot , how old are the tires etc...

His demeanor started to change a bit.. I had mentioned that I had been looking at a lot of them and his comment was oh your a looky lou , kinda hit me wrong , I said no it was that what the people were saying and not showing in the photos was not adding up...

He said he still had it , so I'll call him this weekend and possibly go up and look at it..

LINDA S

Do you recall what the asking price was for it on e-bay ?

I don't remember exactly but it was around the current price. I remember thinking it was cheap but I don't think it hit the reserve.

Linda S

I like that winnie layout. Not quite full size, not quite a shorty. If the valve job documentation looks legit, I would not be scared away by the miles. It likely does have some dry rot issues. If you can address those yourself, it is definitely worth considering.

Selling locally no, I wouldn't expect a movie. but if someone is selling nationally you betcha. National sales have higher prices and inspections should not be a problem.

I guess it all boils down to expectations. If you are expecting a mint rig, you should be prepared to buy an inspection or drive, fly or trane across country for the right one. And if you are selling on nationally and asking a high price (imho over $7000) you should be happy to make a video. I honestly just don't understand the resistance to this other than wanting to hide the truth or severe laziness. Besides, once the video is made you have it for future inquiries it will only underscore the quality and could be uploaded easily to youtube for everyone but Derek to see.

My vote would still be for 1.) rear dinette layout (no kids) or 2.) rear kitchen layout (kids).

The galley wall corner area by the range looks funky. What could've caused that?

The galley wall corner area by the range looks funky. What could've caused that?

Could have been heat. Boiling up big pots of water for a lobster feast? A bit silly to install the burners right up against a wall! But if it's only cosmetic, it could easily be 'cured' by installing a stainless steel backsplash.

If I'm interested in something on CL, I'll usually request more and higher resolution pictures by email. Unfortunately CL reduces the resolution for their postings.

I like it when people post links to photo albums for the higher res photos. Saves asking for them. But as mentioned earlier not everyone has the skills for that stuff. Free photo album? Wuz dat?

Hmm I don't see how that could happen to easily behind the stove on a Sunrader with that layer of foam insulation. But the steam would warp the wood paneling. I am planning on adding some stainless steel behind my stove and sink to prevent troubles. There is a place in my neighborhood that sells it. They are one of the best online sources for getting small metal pieces cut to size and shipped to you. Luckily I can save on shipping by picking it up in person at the will call desk.

Here is the stainless back splash section, they also offer strips to trim it out. I will put this in the links section as well.

http://www.onlinemet...=2&top_cat=1225

love this site but wow... I clicked on the copper tab just to see what that guy that was selling the Americana had into it in copper sheeting cost... Yowzers. Did anyone ever find out what that Americana went for? (the one with the skylight and the awesome cedar table)?

With patience, you will find it. Expand your search in Southern Calif. also. For some reasons, they are usually like $1k cheaper than Northern Calif.

http://sacramento.cr...3353438914.html

What's your first impressions on this one ?

I would want to poke the wall behind the stove. 180K is a lot of miles for any camper that's close to 8K a year. The price reflects the mileage. If it was lower like 45K or so and super clean they could fetch 10 grand.

You could contact me next year. I'm in the midst of deciding whether to let Annie go or not.

I've got a 1984 Dolphin "700" which puts the emphasis on sleeping space with a 2nd rear bed. Very rare model.

I looked for months and travelled to 4 states before I found this one. What sold me was the condition. It lived most of it's life in Oregon where there was no salt. Nonetheless it was rustproofed one year after it was purchased new and then spent a few years of its later years in Michigan.

It has no rust underneath which as most of you know is extremely rare. The 2 major owners took excellent care of it. I've put about $3,500 into it mostly in new, custom built springs, tires and an awning.

I still don't know if I'm going to let her go. I've found my wife is not that big on camping out so I mostly go alone which is a bit lonely and boring. I think I'm going to try to go one more early season before I make up my mind.

Price would be around 12k if I do decide to go with a sale. I attended a Toyhome rally in Shipshewana last year where there were 17 other Toys and I heard from at least 3 people that they thought mine was the nicest one.

post-5274-0-61184100-1351688873_thumb.jp

post-5274-0-77766600-1351688899_thumb.jp

Very nice looking Toyhome for someone who needs a bed on the lower level. The rear bed style is quite rare. I enjoy sleeping in my loft, for as long as I can navigate up there. So far, so good! ;)

I was at that rally and never got a chance to see inside your rig. VERY nice. do you still live in Michigan?

man you should hunt deer with us. We use our toys as deer camps up north in Wexford. November 15 approacheth; this year I pray for at least an 8 point.

I am going into business in a few months.

I'm in the research mode. It makes it tough that I'm actually living in a toyhome but I'm going tp bbuy two more and then sell one or two a month.

Stamar, we have a joke in the aviation business, hope it dosn't apply here;

"You know how to make a little money in aviation? You start out with a whole lot of money"

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

it looks really clean with lots of toys added on. they probably set the reserve to get all they put into it out. they may have taken the attitude that if it sells for what we want so be it, if not we'll keep it. might show up later with lower reserve too. me personally i would take 10,000 and buy a full sized class c, good deals out there, and spend the 7,500 on gas. :o)

I made 8k buying and selling cars this summer. Legally other than taxes you can sell six.

Id buy anything that's cheap and sell it though.

As opposed to japanese cars the low to high in a toyhome is much higher.

I don't think the average person has the skills to do it but they could learn.

I have worked on used car lots.

There's a lot of things going for them. If I had invested over the summer in actually flying out and buying not some but all of the toyhomes I looked at when I bought this one....

Id have tripled my money easily. Its true though with a serious business id neeed to invest at least partly in a lot to park them. I anticipate buying a few and being able to sit on them for months.

There are pitfalls but that's where the lot comes in, because even a loser toyhome turns a huge profit parting it out. That's where the business becomes complete.

One thing I know is that the country is filled with pockets of little towns where nobody has 2k cash so they are all around.

I came close to going into it this summer I could have sold this one for 5k and then just kept going but I wanted to keep it.

A dream of mine is to have a sheet metal shop fabricate a stove cover than when closed doubles as a dish drainer with the outlet directed into the sink and it will have the option of dropping in a wood cutting board.

THIS IS GREAT IDEA!

And I think I know the guy that can do the job. Unfortunately, I won't see him until spring. I could use something like this anyway, since my range cover is missing (don't ask me: it is like the only thing that was missing on the rig when I bought her).

A 1988 Sunrader just showed up in the Spokane that has been posted on the Seattle craiglist this afternoon. No photos with the ad but they say they have over 100 pics of it. Has generator on back, awning, etc. Included a phone number no less. Does not appear to be a scammer...

http://seattle.craig...3386871196.html

I emailed the guy and finally got an email back from him

He sent out a blanket email because there was a list of other emails along with mine ..

Says he's asking $11K for it ...