Trying to post photo of

post-891-1179381514_thumb.jpg post-891-1179381640_thumb.jpg

HI!

This is my recent purchase, a 1984 Toyota Gran Sport.

Hoping to find out ideas to upgrade, improve this unit, tent top needs replaced, unsure of axle situation, should I go double just to be safe?

When figuring the length, do you measure bumper to bumper? or just the 'camper part' ?

Thanks all!

VaLayna =)

This is my recent purchase, a 1984 Toyota Gran Sport.

Hoping to find out ideas to upgrade, improve this unit, tent top needs replaced, unsure of axle situation, should I go double just to be safe?

When figuring the length, do you measure bumper to bumper? or just the 'camper part' ?

VaLayna =)

Measure bumper to bumper to determine length of the coach.

Your unit "should" be much lighter than a full motor home and "may" not require a heavy duty rear end but putting one in would be a good idea anyway if you can find one in a salvage yard. You will find that you will end up with miss matched rims if you install a rear axle with dual rims (fronts will be 5 bolt rears 6 bolt).

I was lucky when I found the HD axle for my 81 diesel as the truck in the salvage yard had two 5 to 6 bolt front wheel adapters which I also purchased (along with seven 6 lug rims).

You may be able to clean the canvas by using a rented upholstery or rug steam cleaner and letting it dry totally before closing the top down. I would try to clean it before I talked to someone about replacing the canvas. The key to keeping these in good condition is to make sure that they are not wet when you close down the top.

You will have far less wind resistance with your "pop top" than you will with a full cab over motor home and if you can live with the pop top feature you will find that it might be more fun in the long run as it is shorter and more maneuverable than a larger full coach.

Moose,

Thank you for the note!

Your info on the rear end is great, I hope I can have some of your luck! I'll start contacting the salvage yards, see what I can come up with, the improvement would sure be worth the piece of mind! =)

The steam cleaning is a good idea, but I am afraid much of the canvas is too thin & worn, as it has many tiny 'moth holes'(?)

it would be tough to patch all them up, course,... maybe I could get creative with those little, circle patch kits and the canvas could look like its a leopard skin or something.. I wonder if wild animal prints are coming back into style? haha!

I love the uniquness of this little thing, I'm just too tall (5'8") to be hunching down around in it if you are just pulled over for a few minutes, but maybe I'll just update this little thing as I go and try to live with the top for now.

It is a cool effect, when you unhook the two inside roof anchors (?) and pop it up, kind of like being a kid in clubhouse. ;)

Thanks again for the info, this site & it's members are awesome!

~ VaLayna