Any opinions on Nissan motorhomes versus Toyota motorhomes?

I've owned Nissan and Toyota cars and found both to be extremely reliable but none of those cars were carrying a house on their backs. I've read where some people say the Nissan motorhomes had head gasket problems but don't know if that was the 4 or 6's, but then I've also read the Toyota 6's had head gasket problems too. I also read where someone said the Nissans felt more solid and the front cab was roomier. So I was wondering if anyone has opinions about Nissan motorhomes verses Toyota motorhomes? I'd like to hear everything regarding the 4 and 6 cylinders and the manual and auto trannys too.

Thank you. :)

Steve

I've owned Nissan and Toyota cars and found both to be extremely reliable but none of those cars were carrying a house on their backs. I've read where some people say the Nissan motorhomes had head gasket problems but don't know if that was the 4 or 6's, but then I've also read the Toyota 6's had head gasket problems too. I also read where someone said the Nissans felt more solid and the front cab was roomier. So I was wondering if anyone has opinions about Nissan motorhomes verses Toyota motorhomes? I'd like to hear everything regarding the 4 and 6 cylinders and the manual and auto trannys too.

Thank you. :)

Steve

I own both. A Toyota Sunrader and a Nissan Sunrader. My Nissan is a v6 though and there are very few of them. Your more likely to find the older 720 Nissan motorhomes and according to my favorite Nissan mechanic they are considerably more under powered than the Toyota. He owned one and spent a ton of money upgrading to a newer more powerful Nissan engine to handle the roads in Colorado. I read your other comments about looking for a rig to hit Baja. Are you in Southern Cal. I found this on San Diego craigslist on cars and truck section. Has the hard to find 4 speed which really bumps up your mileage and the correct axle. Way cheap

http://sandiego.crai...3336361518.html

Linda S

Ya there's a big change in nissan these years like in 86 it becomes the hardbody.

Ok here's it in a nutshell though.

There is no nissan 22re. There's no 4 cyinder mpfi engine in a nissan truck til 93

What there is is a z24I, or a tbi. Injected engine from 86 to 92 better in some sense than a 22r. But not too much.

So that's it the 22re is better. The 720 looks just like a old toyota truck to me, the hardbody update is larger in the cab.

Barely any motorhomes are on the hardbody.

Before this my camper was a nissan truck with cabover. It was very reliable.

In its day the 22re was pretty ahead of its time.

If you're in old school market a z24 and a 22r are very similar. But pay less and realize that you have less resale potential. At times the parts are more expensive. And there's also the vapor technology with the dual plugs crap

Oh ya the vg engine is much more reliable as its also in the maxima and a version is in the 300zx.

Manual transmissions are bulletproof, autos are similar. I prefer toyota aisin auto.

Timing chains don't stretch. That's actually what happens on the next nissan truck engine the ka

2.4 Nissan's beat the plastic chain guides to death with age and chain slop (yes chains do get longer) and the plastic plugged up the oil pickup and trashed the bearings fairly common. I would think you would have a hard time selling a Nissan MH parked next to a Toyota in the same respect you could buy one a lot cheaper. The 20R through 22RE were probably the toughest 4 cylinder engines ever made.

MAINEAH you are right on could not agree with you more. i still miss having a good old 20r double wide roller chain still have two 22res though. all my 7 toyotas four in a row way to go .

I feel certain that hardbody trucks rust less than toyota trucks in these years.

If those are the ones you are comparing.

Hardbody motorhomes are pretty rare. I've seen sunraders and mirages.

I.ve seen a few Mirages on a 720 body but never one on a Hardbody. I know there is 1 pop top hardbody Bandit. There are 9 or 10 Hardbody Sunrader 18 footers. They were never made with the larger 21 foot coach. I have seen 3 Hardbody Odyssey's and I think 4 hardbody Four Seasons. Pretty slim pickings. All of these are V6's. That Nissan engine is crazy durable. No valve adjustments ever to worry about. Only thing is the timing belt is supposed to be changed every 60,000 miles because it is an interference engine. That said mine wasn't changed ever until I had it done at about 117,000 miles. Still don't understand why no one ever made a 4x4 Hardbody motorhome. Fix the problem of the puny Toyota engine and have much heavier duty rear differential. 9.25 ring gear. 16mm wheel nuts and studs. Deeper dish duallies that will take up to a 205 tire with no chance of rubbing. Would have been nice

Linda S

Oh and one other thing. The Nissan has a much larger cab. I can put my Toyota seat all the way back and still drive. I'm only 5'4. Seat all the way back on the Nissan and I can't touch the pedals. Much more comfortable for a tall man

I take it that the duallie rear axle Nissan rims are different from the front rims. Correct? So 2 spares needed (like the '86 Toyota)?

Are there 205 tires available in Load Range C or D in 14"? I assume it's just as hard to find 15" rims for the Nissan.

What's the published GVWR on the various Nissans?

I take it that the duallie rear axle Nissan rims are different from the front rims. Correct? So 2 spares needed (like the '86 Toyota)?

Are there 205 tires available in Load Range C or D in 14"? I assume it's just as hard to find 15" rims for the Nissan.

What's the published GVWR on the various Nissans?

Yes there are tires

http://www.onlinetires.com/products/vehicle/tires/maxxis/205%252F00-14+maxxis+ue-168+%28n%29+bravo+series+109%252F107q.html

Yes the fronts are different but if I was running 205's I wouldn't have any problem driving quite a ways on one tire in the back. 2271 lbs weight rating per tire. GVWR of the 4x4 is 20lbs more than the Toyota. Strange but the cab and chassis is only 100 lbs more than the 4x4. 5200lbs. Considering almost all of the Toyota's are overweight I choose to disreguard it. If you look at the Nissan everything is stronger. Axles, frame, bigger brakes. 3 inch higher clearance on my 2wd than the Toyota. Yes I know your a stickler for weight ratings but I trust my instincts. 2 years of the 2 of them sitting in my driveway and me going over every inch, I know that Nissan truck is stronger in every way. So I will disreguard you too

Linda S

Oh about the wheels. Custom and Commercial Wheel makes duallies for Nissans too not just the Toyota. You would have to order them but 15 inch wheels can be made. Toyota 4x4 owners have to do the same. Of course there aren't any 4x4 Nissan Sunraders so that point is moot. Maybe I will convert mine someday

Linda S

Yes I know your a stickler for weight ratings ... So I will disregard you too

Linda S

Not so much a 'stickler', more interested in pointing out to people (newcomers especially) that the GVWR should be thought about and not blindly ignored. Most owners seem to be proud that they 1000lbs overweight. :)

FWIW, I often disregard the opinions of faceless people on the internet, especially if they're on the 'wrong' side of the 'caution' line.

Not so much a 'stickler', more interested in pointing out to people (newcomers especially) that the GVWR should be thought about and not blindly ignored. Most owners seem to be proud that they 1000lbs overweight. :)

FWIW, I often disregard the opinions of faceless people on the internet, especially if they're on the 'wrong' side of the 'caution' line.

Neither of my campers are overweight but if I was loading up for some serious travel I would feel safer in the Nissan even with it's lower GVWR. At some point experience and common sense have to come first. I did see the post here where you said I stole the Nissan from you. Not nice and way not true

Linda S

"I nearly bought one but had it 'stolen' from me."

Hardly a damning condemnation and totally anonymous. :)

Not anonymous to me! You are the one who baiiled on the sale and I had to fly to New York from California cause my friend had already paid for it. I promised him he wouldn't get stuck with it. I obviously love it so no regrets here. You lose.

Linda S

In its day the 22re was pretty ahead of its time.

If you're in old school market a z24 and a 22r are very similar. But pay less and realize that you have less resale potential. At times the parts are more expensive. And there's also the vapor technology with the dual plugs crap

Just to clarify...

Are you saying that Nissan motorhomes have a lower resale value than Toyota motorhomes? And are you also saying Nissan parts tend to be more expensive than Toyota parts?

2.4 Nissan's beat the plastic chain guides to death with age and chain slop (yes chains do get longer) and the plastic plugged up the oil pickup and trashed the bearings fairly common. I would think you would have a hard time selling a Nissan MH parked next to a Toyota in the same respect you could buy one a lot cheaper. The 20R through 22RE were probably the toughest 4 cylinder engines ever made.

If the timing chain breaks on the Nissan 4 cylinder Z2400 engine does it destroy everything around it?

Oh and one other thing. The Nissan has a much larger cab. I can put my Toyota seat all the way back and still drive. I'm only 5'4. Seat all the way back on the Nissan and I can't touch the pedals. Much more comfortable for a tall man

Your comment about the front cab being roomier confirms what someone else said.

Yes nissan motorhomes are worth less and the parts are more expensive.

I want to reiterate that almost all nissan motorhomes are based on the 720 which doesn't have anything going for it in my opinion over a toyota truck.

Then the advantage of the hardbody being a little bigger... isn't really an advantage, as so far as I know every hardbody home is 18 foot and smaller. Except I think there's a rare hardbody dolphin.

But more important it just doesn't exist. There are a handfull total. They are not collectors items...

The z24 timing chain never breaks. The ka has the plastic guides that make noise its not in any motorhome its in frontiers later hardbodies xterra.

I'm serious I don't believe the z24 timing chain ever goes bad. I have had several nissans and between all of them, all with chains, there's never been someone with a broken timing chain I've heard of. Sentras maximas and trucks.

The v6 hardbody motorhome might be nice because of the ease you can put the 300Zx motor in it. Twin turbo too.

I can't really say which is easier to work on. they are both easy to work on, I just feel the toyota truck is a bit easier to work on.

I found out this 1984 Nissan 720 motorhome has a 5 speed manual transmission and the 4 cylinder Z2400 engine. It has a 1 ton chassis with the 6 lug nut rear wheels. Its NOT the hardbody either. What are your thoughts on the Nissan Z2400 engine with a 5 speed manual transmission?

Edited by Stevo

i have experience with an 89 nissan hardbody.

never had the 720. I think its even called a datsun still, like they still had leftover datsun tailgates.

Back in the good old days when they painted the name brand on the tailgate.

this is a direct competitor to a 5 speed 22r toyota often making it to 300k without problems. Not as legendary but still really good.

I would look to pay under 2k.

I would definitely prefer a toyota home over a nissan 720 z24 home.

They are very similar. The z24 has kind of a bogus thing added with an extra plug and coil to burn ignition gas.

I havent seen a 720 in a junkyard in a long time either. toyota trucks always have their own row.

is it a sunrader? or a dolphin huntsman type?

that makes a difference too.

So the biggest and heaviest of the mini motorhomes with the smallest and lowest HP of any of the engines. I think you should be able to add up the end equation. Putt Putt

Linda S

So to make sure I'm understanding you correctly because I'm new to this...

The Odyssey is the heaviest of the mini motorhomes and the Nissan Z2400 engine has the lowest HP of all the engines used in mini motorhomes?

Thanks

no theres the 20r with less hp/

oddysseys are nice though.

theyre all slow.

when i upgraded from a 20r to a 22re i felt like i was in an indy car. but its still painfully slow.

no theres the 20r with less hp/

oddysseys are nice though.

theyre all slow.

when i upgraded from a 20r to a 22re i felt like i was in an indy car. but its still painfully slow.

Early Odyssey's that would have a 20r engine were actually made by a different company and were much smaller and lighter than the one he's talking about. 82 and earlier were made by General RV after that they were made by Leisure Odyssey.

Linda S

Yes nissan motorhomes are worth less and the parts are more expensive.

I want to reiterate that almost all nissan motorhomes are based on the 720 which doesn't have anything going for it in my opinion over a toyota truck.

Then the advantage of the hardbody being a little bigger... isn't really an advantage, as so far as I know every hardbody home is 18 foot and smaller. Except I think there's a rare hardbody dolphin.

But more important it just doesn't exist. There are a handfull total. They are not collectors items...

The z24 timing chain never breaks. The ka has the plastic guides that make noise its not in any motorhome its in frontiers later hardbodies xterra.

I'm serious I don't believe the z24 timing chain ever goes bad. I have had several nissans and between all of them, all with chains, there's never been someone with a broken timing chain I've heard of. Sentras maximas and trucks.

Never seen them brake one, they skip beat case's up and trash guides. The 2.4 Nissan's ground the plastic off the guides it ended up in the sump and plugged the oil pickup seen dozens of them. Don't feel bad Toyota 22R's and 22RE's beat the cases to death and filled the sump with antifreeze and aluminum. Generally this all happens at 150K or more if you hear chains rattling you had better do some thing about it.

MAINEAH you are right on could not agree with you more. i still miss having a good old 20r double wide roller chain still have two 22res though. all my 7 toyotas four in a row way to go .

Yes I had a 1980 SR5 gave it to my neighbor with 385K on it. Rusted like you would not believe I really thought it was going to break in half but the engine was as strong as the day I got it.

well on the other hand, the bmw m42 timing chain does break with disasterous results.

I know the ka eats up the chain guide, that is a 2.4 liter related to the z24. it makes noise.

sort of the upgrade, went in the frontier and the 240sx

I would have to mention one other strong and very small little rocker arm four under the hood of my datsun b 210 wich i bought new and drove daily for 24 years easly got 36mpg 240000miles on the clock killed by a dump truck.

well on the other hand, the bmw m42 timing chain does break with disasterous results.

I know the ka eats up the chain guide, that is a 2.4 liter related to the z24. it makes noise.

sort of the upgrade, went in the frontier and the 240sx

Thought we were talking about Toyota and Nissan.