Generator Woes continue. Dometic DMC-45 1985 Coachmen

TheDoverGuppy

So I posted before about my generator cutting out, and we've eliminated everything except a relay that we can't seem to find. Unfortunately, this part isn't available, though I think we can rewire the thing to work with an existing relay.

But... in the meantime, I bought an external, and two things started to happen. One is that the deep cycle battery died, and running the engine won't charge it. It does charge on shore power, but only slightly and dies within an hour.

The second issue is that when it's hooked up to shore power, there's a metallic click around the heater that happens every 45 seconds or so.

So, any ideas on the new issues?

And where's a good source for a operating used generator that will fit in that hole? (any idea what model would work) I really want an onboard generator. Don't want to hassle with gas cans, etc.

Thanks!

i would make sure the onboard generator is totally disconnected, as far as outgoing power is concerned. maybe onboard is somehow pulling juice from the battery? maybe the battery just coincidently died when this other stuff going on?