Maiden Voyage - Toilet pipe leaks when I hook up water

gr8white

I am at Sara's campground on Lake Erie PA on my first trip and when I hook up the water the pipe leaks that connects to the toilet. It is leaking right where the elbow is in the pic. I was going to stay here a week and enjoy it. But with no water it sucks. Any advice on how to fix this or turn the water off to that pipe? Thanks!

post-6413-0-99337800-1349595007_thumb.jp

post-6413-0-55300400-1349595311_thumb.jp

how bad is leak?

when you get home go to pluming store and cut and fit new elbow

right now try some duct tape if you have some (make sure pipe is dry) wrap tight and thick

don't use "city water" connection

use your water holding tank

you wont have as much water pressure

None of the coach makers were real big on shut off valves so your pretty much stuck with that. Got to ask did you use a regulator on your camp ground hose? Most camp grounds have far more water pressure then you need so it's pretty important to use a regulator to bring the pressure down to 40 psi or less. Lacking that you could just use your pump and fill your fresh tank.

Why can't you use the fresh water tank and the pump? We rarely hook up to City water. when I flush, I turn the pump on, then when its finished, turn the pump back off and hold the flush or turn on the sink faucet to bleed off any pressure in the lines.

If you can get a small saw in there, cut the elbow off as close to it as you can to the elbow, Goto one of the big box hardware stores, they sell push on PEX fittings.

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

My toilet pipe peaks when it's cold outside. I never hook to city water just use my fresh water tank and turn the pump on when I need it. All your pipes are old so you never know when they could fail. No direct water connection is the safest way to go.

Linda S

i had the identical leak. i was lucky and at home so used the press on pex fittings to fix it. the stretchy tape fix might be a lot easier on the road. i have some now i carry with me. though i have to admit i haven't used yet so not sure how good or easy it works.

the gray pipe is called polybutlen it and those crimp rings made of alumilum were LAWSUITED OUT OF BUSNESS because of all the floods and joint explosions IN MOBLE HOMES. BECAUSE OF THE HIGHER PRESSURE IN Houses they will sudenly and with no warning start spraing water. I HAVE CUT and removed a dozen of them out of my son s and dauters trailers. those new pex push on fittings work great.

the fittings are worse then the tubing but the the tubing gets kind of hard the tubing cutters can crack it somtimes a hack saw is better. the modern pex is a lot better plastic. you can get push on fittings in plastic or brass. you can get crimp rings also made of copper but the crimp tools are very costly and hard to use. pex plastic will take frezing a lot better then the old stuff.

It is the fittings that are leaking. I ended up cutting the trip short and coming home because of this. Alot of you guys suggested that I just fill the tank with water instead of the direct connect which is a great idea but when I turn the water pump on I am sure I would still have the same leak wouldnt I?