Pet & Odor Issues

GrantD

I don't own and RV yet but have enjoyed reading on this forum and have learned quite a bit from the posts here. For work I own a small local carpet cleaning business here in northwest WA. So I just thought I'd offer my thoughts up to anybody that might have questions about dealing with odors, pet issues, how to remove stains etc.

Helpful tips:

Whatever you do, do NOT put a cat box on top of carpet!

Another tip, hydrogen peroxide (over the counter 3%) is a very good stain and odor remover for some tough stains like grass, coffee, and pet vomit.

Cheers!

-Grant

And to think that we have used vinegar. It definitely helped but didn't always get all the odor. Thanks for the tips.

A dash of vinegar added to water is good for mopping linoleum. Actually adding ammonia to the hydrogen peroxide increases the reaction, but is usually speeds it up rather than makes it work better so if you like to keep is uncomplicated then just the peroxide is a good start.

As for getting "all the odor": if your dealing with something like a puddle of animal pee, you want to pour at least as much on as the animal went, otherwise what your treating it with won't touch all of the contamination. You want what your are pouring on to overwhelm what you are treating. Peroxide will work with most things, cat urine is much tougher when you have a situation like with a cat box in a corner and the animal was going over the side over and over... In cases like that there's often little choice than to replace carpet, pad, seal subfloor.

first thing I did was gut my vehicle of all carpet. The champs at Monterey Leisure had apparently used self tapping sheet metal screws to put in that stylish 70's sculpted shag in the cab and went berserk with a compressor stapler in the camper area. 5000 stapled and 200 screws later i was down to bare fiberglass covered wood (which I bleach water mopped) and the animal excrement laden carpet was gone. I honestly don't think any amount of anything could have saved it. Boy oh boy those tiger bamboo hardwoods look nice now and the vehicle carpet kit for the base pickup fit the cab perfect while also giving new car smell.

• 3 weeks later...

I would like to recommend Biozyme from http://www.cleaners-r-us.com/.

I was having serious issues with one of my cats who was being ridiculously territorial and peeing on my sofa everytime another of my cats walked on it. Usually I would catch her after the fact. As mentioned, cat pee is awful strong and hard to get rid of. I tried so many things it was driving me nuts. Finally, someone on a pet forum recommended this product and while a bit pricey, it is so worth it. It has been the only thing that neutralized the smell and left a nice odor in its place. I don't sell it, just a very satisfied customer :)