I cant find a pilot light. Where is that located? I just picked up a new propane tank and this is my first time trying to start it. Also, since the heater hasn't been used in some time what kind of maintenance should I perform? Thanks!

Hi--don't think your heater has a pilot light as they were done away with in RVs in the late seventies. Your ignition should be by spark igniter which is automatic after about a minute of the fan running. You should hear it clicking as it tries to light the burner. This assumes that there is gas in the line to ignite. Strongly suggest you have a qualified tech service your heater if it hasn't been used for a while as propane appliances require a certain degree of knowledge and skill to operate safely and properly. Good luck!

As others mentioned, there is no pilot light.

Light the stove and let it run for 15- 30 seconds. This makes sure that the plumbing is purged and has propane in it. ( I do this if I havn't used the MH in a while, or whenever I change tanks.)

Your furnace makes one attempt to light when it gets the call for heat (thermostat tells furnace to turn on).

heres the sequence:

1) Call for heat from thermostat. ( Turn the thermostat up so you can get warm)

2) Blower comes on to do a combustion chamber purge. This purge cycle lasts for about 30 seconds. A "Sail Switch" detects airflow to confirm that the blower is running.

3) The gas valve will open with a distinct "Click" sound.

4) The igniter will turn on for about 5 seconds.

5) If no flame is detected, the gas valve closes

6) the blower continues to run to do a combustion chamber purge.

7) the blower continues to run until the call for heat is removed (turn down the thermostat)

The problem with this sequence, if the furnace fails to light on the first attempt, the blower continues to run, forever, until the call for heat is removed.

MAINTENANCE

Remove the outside vent and clean it out as best you can with a vacuum cleaner (This is both the intake and exhaust)

Two common problems,

Sail switch gets sticky or intermittent and doesn't think the blower is running. so you never get past Step #2.

Blower squeals on startup and shutdown. replace blower. Drives you, and everyone in a 2 mile radius nuts.

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

No fan there probably is no power to the unit you may try twisting the thermostat wires together and see what happens. The heater fan must run first (prepurge) then if all is good it should open the gas valves and light.

It is unfortunate but every coach maker had their own ideals about fuses and where to put them. The first spot is inside of the converter/charger just about every one has fuses and beyond that they some times are very creative, another spot is in the battery compartment. This is where a cheap test light comes in if it lights on one side and not the other you need a new fuse or a good cleaning often the contacts get dirty enough not to allow current flow another reason every one went to stab in fuses.

• 6 months later...

Where's the best place to purchase a new blower for a super squealy 87 conquest? Almost better to freeze...

If you have it out you can try to repair it your self usually a good cleaning and a dab of grease on the shaft will cure your ills or take the motor to some one like NAPA and see if they can match it up.

Motor runs about $100 if you buy the exact replacement. If your adventuresome and want to save money, Do what MAineah says. You will probably not get an exact match, but close will work and will probably be about 1/3 the cost.

Here are some things to consider,

Physical diameter and length of the motor,
Mount bolt location

Shaft length isn't critical, you can cut the shafts on the new blower.

RPM A little slower is OK (maybe 10%) , faster is OK
Speed, Odds are good you'll get a multi speed blower motor (four wires), you will wire it permanently for high speed.

Keep us posted on this as this is a verfy common problem with these units.

See BLOWER REPLACEMENT

John MC

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

Where's the best place to purchase a new blower for a super squealy 87 conquest? Almost better to freeze...

I've done fine pulling them apart and re-lubing the Oillite bushings in the motors (porous bronze). If you want a new motor and don't want to buy OEM, you can buy generic. Here's a link to one of many catalogs that give specs and replacement motor numbers. You can also upgrade and install a better motor with ball bearings instead of bronze bushings.

http://www.truckair.com/catalog/2008PDFs/003-BlowerMotors08.pdf

thanks for all the tips! ill keep you posted...truth be told this is far from #1 on my list and the weather is warming...although i dont have to think about it too much and its pretty straightforward so thats a plus.