TLC Advice Needed on a 1978 Sunrader - New to Owning an RV

digibug5@yahoo.com

Hello! :bye2: I just brought home the 1978 Toyota Sunrader my brother gave me & it needs a TLC. For the most part it looks like just cosmetic work needs to be done... new flooring, recovering the cushions, new cabinet doors, fresh paint on the interior, & a good detailing. The little 4 cylinder engine still runs like a champ... okay, so a slow champ... which makes me think there's nothing wrong with it mechanically. After it warms up it sounds like any new car on the road. Question Part: The exterior seems to have cracked caulking along the seams where the cab & the coach meet. Does anyone have any good advice on how to do that? Should I sand down the old stuff & put new caulking over it? Does anyone have any other good tips a new RV owner should look for to make sure things are sealed up tight?

Background on me: 100% small car owner who has owned 3 VW New Beetles over the past 12 years (2000, 2006, & 2003) & a 1985 Honda CRX before that. The most I've done to my cars was add racing stripe decals, change the oil (just once was enough for me), & wash them. So I'm sure this little RV from 1978 is going to have its challenges & rewards.

con grads on your RV

just work with butter knife

look for leaks

you can hit around roof and walls to see if solid or hollow

their might be a good reason for caulking seams

check roof for leaks soft spots

enjoy your new toy

just a little love in all the right places

Just go over it one thing at a time. And if you are not acquainted with an area - get on the net here - I have found a lot of useful info as I have been going through the same basic experience.

O.K. I have to admit, I am kinda the foster child here - :cold: My 1980 Sunrader is one of the rare Datsuns. (Hope you won't hold that against me) The coach is the same, that is why I appreciate this site, and forum. I just bought it a few weeks ago. Overall it is in great condition, only 52k miles, so just having to do complete clean, wax, tlc. Repair and replace misc time hardened plastic, flooring, etc. And make sure all the appliances and features work correctly.

My advice (and the advice of many others on this forum) is to stay away from silicone caulk. Silicone will attract dirt and, after a few weeks, will look dark and messy. It is very difficult to remove when you have to re-do some of the caulk. Also, absolutely nothing will stick to it unless it is all removed. Every last scrap. The alternatives are many and easy to find. DAP, from both Lowe's and Home Depot, makes an alkyd-based caulk that comes in several colors and works just fine.

John

dicor RV sealer is a good rv product comes in caulk tubes stays flexable comes in white way better then silcone.