Spare Tire

Donkey

Gday Folks

The 85 Sunrader I just purchased does not have a spare tire. It has the rusty anchoring system which I remember being a pain in the behind on my old toyota 4x4, but no spare. What is the best spare to carry? A front or rear spare? The owners manual states: at no time shall the rv be driven with one of the rear tires flat. I am guessing there would be bearing issues in this circumstance. With that said, you would need two different spares to keep you covered. What are other folks carrying for spares? Anyone know the bolt pattern spacing so I can try and find one from a recker?

Thanks

post-871-1178595174_thumb.jpg

I would carry the front as a spare. If you get one flat on the rear you can still remove it and run slow with the still good of the dual. But you have not mentioned what rear axle you have. So speak up and fill in all the details, full floating rear axle or the old welded together dual setup? An 85 if it has the new full floating axle, I would definitely carry the spare for the front. If you have the newer full floating rear you can always remove the flat and run slow on the good one. Hmmm did I say that already? The option of course is to get a spare for the rear full floating rear axle and carry a spare for the front and rear.

• 2 weeks later...

Full floating??? The gentleman that I purchased it from had a bunch of photocopies of the recalls of this year of motorhome, and he showed me how this motorhome had the 6 lug axle, but I don't know how to tell if it is full floating or not. It is a leaf and strut system if that helps at all.

Thanks

Full floating??? The gentleman that I purchased it from had a bunch of photocopies of the recalls of this year of motorhome, and he showed me how this motorhome had the 6 lug axle, but I don't know how to tell if it is full floating or not. It is a leaf and strut system if that helps at all.

Full floating means that there are both inner and outer wheel bearings. If you have 6 lug rims on the rear you have a full floating axle. You will see the bearing housing protruding through the center of the rims.

Here is an article showing 3/4 floating, semi floating, and full floating axles

http://www.tpub.com/content/construction/1...s/14050_275.htm