1986 Sunrader

John H

Recently purchased a 1986 Sunrader RKB (21'). It drives very smoothly, more smoothly than my previous Jamboree (26') and Midas (21'). Miles per gallon for approximately 1650 miles at elevations of 8,000' to 800' ranged from a low of 15mpg to 18mpg (two trips). The motorhome interior is quite well built and reminds me of an Airstream I used to own. Very little sway when trucks pass and the air bags are really useful. I pressurize the duals to 40 psi and the fronts to 30 psi. The max for the 185R14 tires is 65 psi. I suspect that if I increased the pressures the mpg would increase but the ride would be more strident. I've found the "sweet spot" is between 55 and 60 mph. It has the 22RE engine with four speed automatic. Also has the after market 26 gallon tank which increases the range by more than 100 miles.

Have the couch with two swivel chairs and cab over bed. Will modify the swivel chairs so they can be removed to produce a single bed. Also will add an addition to the couch so the back rest won't have to be used (takes up lots of aisle space) and the width will be increased by about six inches.

Now I can understand the loyalty of Toyota motorhome owners. Especially the Sunraders which have a solid roof and fewer places for leaks to occur.

Any useful tips would be appreciated. Everything appears to work OK. Had cab AC converted to 134b freon and it works very well.

John H (SW Ohio)