The what did you do to your toyhome today thread

Have I told you guys how much I hate this thread lately. Darrel that's is a beautiful table and sounds like it's a project that most people could manage but after a couple of days no one will ever see it again. This thread will come up on a search for tables but who is going to search through 23 pages and growing to eventually be able to find your great table. No one. If you post a separate thread people can find it. All cool projects need to be on their own thread

Linda S

• Replies 603
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So lock the thread and start a new one

That would simply lead to 2 massive threads with good stuff lost in them. :)

I'd just like to encourage people to group all their 'fluff' here (oil changes, beer drinking, etc) but start a separate thread for more 'meaningful' (hard to define) accomplishments.

An example that comes to mind would be Karen's Sunrader 'build'. :)

On 2/7/2016 at 1:25 PM, Derek up North said:

That would simply lead to 2 massive threads with good stuff lost in them. :)

I'd just like to encourage people to group all their 'fluff' here (oil changes, beer drinking, etc) but start a separate thread for more 'meaningful' (hard to define) accomplishments.

An example that comes to mind would be Karen's Sunrader 'build'. :)

One of these days I will put together a web page about "Karin's Sunrader build" ....oh wait I already have a posting about most of that on my own blog and it is likely I will keep adding to that same posting for a while yet as I don't want that blog to get over run with motorhome yak yak :) .

I have not done any significant work on my Sunrader since August of 2015 due to health issues. Had 5 surgeries and a couple of other procedures between September and the second week of December. Significant vision issues which had me half blind from July through December plus surgery to get rid of cancer. As a result I was on restriction for bending, lifting, blah blah blah until last week. So the only thing I have been doing recently for my project is collecting a few supplies.

Today I went to Rockler and found some plastic touch latches that are not supposed to pop open from bumps in the road. They are likely the very same ones as many RV stores sell and easy to find on Amazon as well. But I was in the neighborhood of Rockler, dropped in mostly for amusement and found they did had two sizes of them. I want touch activated latches to avoid having a lot of knobs and handles as in such a small space those can catch on clothes and leave bruises too.

The other day I bought some of the plumbing fittings. Soon I will go and buy some PEX. So basically this section of the forum is a pretty good place to post my minor forays of shopping because they are  certainly not worthy of a page of their own. 

So sorry to hear about your health issues. Hope you  make a complete recovery. Your a very smart and creative lady and have made tons of interesting and useful posts here that certainly have helped others on this site. We are all looking forward to see the completion of your Sunrader.  

Linda S

On 2/14/2016 at 10:35 PM, linda s said:

So sorry to hear about your health issues. Hope you  make a complete recovery. Your a very smart and creative lady and have made tons of interesting and useful posts here that certainly have helped others on this site. We are all looking forward to see the completion of your Sunrader.  

Linda S

Thanks Linda.  Fortunately I was very lucky and the cancer is completely gone with only surgical treatment and no chemo or radiation required. It is not a type of cancer likely to ever recur, so this year two 6 months checkups and after that just an annual one.  I ended up with only a very minor amount of damage to my vision from the retinal issue I experienced. Cataract surgeries were also a success. Just a bit of lack of energy left but that will resolve itself quickly once the weather dries out and warms up and I come out of Seattle's hibernation phase.

Edited by snail powered

On 2/7/2016 at 11:32 AM, RVdaytrader said:

The wallpaper on the bathroom sliding door cover was boogered up. So instead of removing the paper and painting the cover, I made up a valance shaped piece of 1/4 inch ply and covered it with left over upholstery fabric that I had used on the window valances.

post-4473-0-89512200-1454862624_thumb.jp

post-4473-0-60607700-1454862673_thumb.jp

post-4473-0-29092400-1454862713_thumb.jp

Thanks for the photos, good idea and nice job.  What does interest me is the seat, is that a standard toy seat or an add on?  I am at the beginning of changing seating in mine and would appreciate a picure or two.    I was going to use a couple RV captains seats, but am leaning towards euro recliners with ottoman Jim

36 minutes ago, jjrbus said:

Thanks for the photos, good idea and nice job.  What does interest me is the seat, is that a standard toy seat or an add on?  I am at the beginning of changing seating in mine and would appreciate a picure or two.    I was going to use a couple RV captains seats, but am leaning towards euro recliners with ottoman Jim

Jim...The "seat" you see is where I pulled the flip sofa out cause it was uncomfortable as a sofa and too narrow to sit on sideways with the sofa backrest in place.

Got a 24x24x10 foam wedge, used the foam from the  sofaback to make lower back and knee wedges and cover them all with fleece. Here is a better pic.

GEDC2016.JPG

• 1 month later...

another project progress not worthy of its own thread...

It finally stopped raining and the sun came out so I went for a drive up north to a pick-n-pull. Last year I had mistakenly tossed out the graphic front insert from my heat/air climate control panel. It took a while for a 1980 Datsun to show up in a yard within driving distance. It had to be that year as the climate control is slightly different from other years.  I wandered up and down the aisle and could not see a familiar looking truck. It was wearing a disguise, someone had monster trucked it with big high wheels and a strange paint job. When I looked in the cab all the dash components were gone. But fortunately I thought to look back in the rear bed and there was the part I needed :)   Hooray, now I can get more of the cab interior put back together!

Nice drive in the country but the deciduous trees have not yet gotten leaves so it was not as pretty as it will be in another month.

So this weekend I got my 86 TravelMaster Savanah back from the garage...I asked them to check everything mechanical out and provide an estimate of ALL the repairs that need to be done in order to make the Toyota road worthy for this summer. (I bought it last year with the understanding that it needed to be fixed up before heading out this year).....Well, I was quite surprised....all that was wrong ----front brakes, change the differential fluid & transmission fluid, that was all, plus I had them replace the shocks with Bilsteins that I had already purchased. Very, very surprised & happy. Now for the interior renovations... Am beginning to think this might be a good & fun purchase!! We are completely psyched to hit the road this summer.

BTW - the Toyota, when purchased had only 42k miles on it, so am thinking this was a contributing factor.

got moving on the old crock again this weekend after being stalled for a bit.  installed the rear Bilsteins, and stripped and cleaned the rear brake assy on one side .  but our wind is supposed to be gusting to 55-60 mph for next few days, so that may bring outdoor work to a screeching halt. 

I think I heard an audible sigh of thanks from it when I scraped off the cheesy faux-krome laurel wreaths the IPO had glued around the keyholes in doors.  :rolleyes:

• 5 weeks later...

Here is the new trouble I have gotten myself into.

My Sunrader has a new baby sister! I adopted her yesterday. Have not brought her home yet, had to leave her down in Oregon until I get a hitch put on my Honda Element. It is light enough to be towed by a 4 cyclinder! Not to worry I will also be keeping the Sunrader.

Vintage 1971, needs a new interior but having worked with the shell of the Sunrader I will be using much of that knowledge. These Trails West Campsters never had any insulation in them so I will be gutting it and put some in. Nothing of the interior was worth keeping anyway and the price reflected that. But the shell is in good condition and the trailer is serviceable. It will be a much simpler interior to put together versus the Sunrader. Going to use aluminum framing for the cabinets again as that really keeps the weight down versus building from wood. I will redesign the layout to get in a dedicated potty room.

There is a pop top over the kitchen area that gives full standing head room. It is not much different in the height than my Honda which will help reduce drag when towing. The dinette/bed  can be made into 6'5" x 6'5" or left as two narrow bunks with an aisle between them and of course a table.

sidewiew.jpg

2016-04-21 16.24.36.jpg

20160421_134629.jpg

Edited by snail powered

that is too cool.....post a pic of it next to the sunrader when you can......paint it to match and folks will think you ordered as a custom combo from factory!

My Sunrader would really struggle to tow it. I have a 2.0 liter 4 cylinder from Nissan. Made in 1979.5 which is the first 6 months of the 720 truck production. It has enough strain on it just to tote around its own turtle shell.

rv hookups.jpg

Edited by snail powered

• 2 months later...

Working and procrastinating at the same time. I really need to replace the original rear vent on my dolphin. The hinge is broken and it doesn't want to close properly. So instead I got one of those MaxAir covers for 30 bucks. I put that on and now I don't care if the vent doesn't close right. The rain can't get in!

3 hours ago, jjrbus said:

Looks nice, the riser in the stairwell has me confused, what is the material?   Jim

Just whatever was under the carpet.  Some kind of metal.

Kewl new charging outlet for the Dolphin coach. Well the son said it was cool. New cig lighter plug and two USB chargers. With faux diamond plate switch plate. All from amazon.

chargingstation1.jpg

Edited by whyverne14

• 3 weeks later...

Finally made my "Mountain William" awning. It's not "Hill Billy" cause I didn't use a blue tarp. I bought a nice one. I won't use it all the time. I usually just follow the shade around the Dolphin. Should be nice when it's really hot or if there's a bit of rain about.

awning1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/27/2016 at 1:24 PM, whyverne14 said:

Finally made my "Mountain William" awning. It's not "Hill Billy" cause I didn't use a blue tarp. I bought a nice one. I won't use it all the time. I usually just follow the shade around the Dolphin. Should be nice when it's really hot or if there's a bit of rain about.

awning1.jpg

That's awesome! Gotta know how you rigged that up. Been thinking of a way to get a canopy situation going without the huge investment.

On 8/8/2016 at 6:24 PM, DirtyPatches said:

That's awesome! Gotta know how you rigged that up. Been thinking of a way to get a canopy situation going without the huge investment.

Just 3 hooks driven in the top corresponding to the tarp grommets. Leave some slack, the sun will shrink the tarp a bit. The poles are from one of those 10 buck canopies that I had laying around. I stand on my bag of leveling blocks to hook it on, if you're short that could be a problem. I'm tall. Had the first field test last weekend. The wind does tend to kick it off a hook once in a while. I'm going to try those zip ties that you can release next time if it's windy. 

Edited by whyverne14

On 8/9/2016 at 0:15 PM, Totem said:

i believe thats a bag awning. i think waiter or someone in here did a write-up on how to do a bag awning on the cheap.

No, home-made. Just a good silverized tarp with three 2 1/2" wood screw hooks and some poles that I had from the bad old tent camping days. May I never see those days again. 

Have 1986 Sunland Express purchased in Dec. 2009. My original awning looked new because of only 26,000 mile use.  I used a silver tarp for a complete cover-up and an awning on my popup.  SO, when we got the SLE I bought a new silver tarp and 1/4" nylon cord and ran the cord through the grommets on the long side  and tied one end to the ladder and the other end of the cord to the bumper. I now cover up the awning to keep it clean from tree sap, leaves etc. plus I have a greater area of protection from the rain and shade to get under. It has worked out nice. I just used tent poles and parachute cord and tent pegs to fasten the sides, corners and front. I also use 2 ratchet straps (you can see them, fluorescent orange)  to fasten the awning ends to the ground in case of high winds.  We have been using this for some time now and it serves the purpose well at hardly any cost.  I did tie an extra cord  to a grommet about middle ways on the top to pull the slack out and tie it off across the top to a bracket on the driver side bottom (not shown). We have been in very, very strong winds and rain , never had a problem.
This is how we fixed our situation.
Homer

DSC00233.JPG

DSC00240.JPG

DSC00242.JPG

DSC00210.JPG

DSC06141.JPG

8 hours ago, Homer said:

Have 1986 Sunland Express purchased in Dec. 2009. My original awning looked new because of only 26,000 mile use.  I used a silver tarp for a complete cover-up and an awning on my popup.  SO, when we got the SLE I bought a new silver tarp and 1/4" nylon cord and ran the cord through the grommets on the long side  and tied one end to the ladder and the other end of the cord to the bumper. I now cover up the awning to keep it clean from tree sap, leaves etc. plus I have a greater area of protection from the rain and shade to get under. It has worked out nice. I just used tent poles and parachute cord and tent pegs to fasten the sides, corners and front. I also use 2 ratchet straps (you can see them, fluorescent orange)  to fasten the awning ends to the ground in case of high winds.  We have been using this for some time now and it serves the purpose well at hardly any cost.  I did tie an extra cord  to a grommet about middle ways on the top to pull the slack out and tie it off across the top to a bracket on the driver side bottom (not shown). We have been in very, very strong winds and rain , never had a problem.
This is how we fixed our situation.
Homer

DSC00233.JPG

DSC00240.JPG

DSC00242.JPG

DSC00210.JPG

DSC06141.JPG

pretty sweet setup there!

I repainted my side door after one of the local kids spray painted some graffiti on it. Wimbledon White was actually a very close match to the creme white used on camper shell.