The what did you do to your toyhome today thread

got new bunk done today replaced 44 inches of the front sidewall underlay both sides all the new wood for front cap framing. then start on new roof skin for new rubber roof .when that's done .start on rear cap framing and 44 inches of rear sidewall under layment. then put rubber roof on.close to 90% of the wood will be new in whole mini. pretty much building whole new mini. when that's done new carpet light cabinets. then going camping

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 603
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Took on a new project the other day. We wanted a cabinet above the refrigerator. I also have been toying with putting a couple of fans above the refrigerator cooling fins. So I cut a hole in the wall above the refrigerator and installed two 24volt computer fans with a on-off rocker switch. They are very quiet since the are now running on 12volt. The cabinet is installed but haven't made the door yet, company arrived. I am now concerned with the fan locating. It seems that they may be drawing air up the combustion chamber and cooling down too much, therefor not allowing the ammonia mixture to mist properly and maybe defeating what I was trying to achieve. The air temp outside is 79 and inside the refrigerator exhaust passage it varies from 102 to 114 degrees with the fans off. With fans on it drops to a fairly steady 93 degrees. That means 10 to 15 degree drop with fan on. Does anyone have a comment on this or suggestions.

post-1172-0-43129200-1403493602_thumb.jp

post-1172-0-08395100-1403493617_thumb.jp

post-1172-0-65359700-1403493631_thumb.jp

post-1172-0-91643500-1403493646_thumb.jp

post-1172-0-49199200-1403493664_thumb.jp

post-1172-0-83319600-1403493682_thumb.jp

post-1172-0-53870400-1403493731_thumb.jp

post-1172-0-09655600-1403493755_thumb.jp

post-1172-0-66395200-1403493772_thumb.jp

That sounds like a good setup did not think of that. I'm going to give what I did a try for awhile. I did put a on-off switch so there isn't a constant power draw.

WME, thanks, I have not see those before. Seem perfect for the situation as they come in different temperature activations.

I've use one before. I clamped it to the pipe coming out of the boiler so that when the thermostat kicked the flame up on the refer the heat would trip the switch and the fan would run. When the thermostat kicked off the pipe would cool off and the switch would stop the fan.

Adding a second switch near the exhaust vent could control the second fan easily.

No idea of the temp of the switch needed, but it shouldnt be to hard to figure it out.

Wow. I'll have to look tomorrow but I think my new refer has one of those switches mounted on the boiler. The refer is one year old never thought about that switch. Just went out and looked, yes there is a switch that looks similar. Will have to check it out tomorrow.

Fibreglassed the holes left by removal of cycle rack and external ladder. resealed the hole left by removal of roof top air con unit. Dolphin feels so much better without all that weight on roof.

Not much but I did install some new compartment locks. Gee, that's so easy even I could do it. I think the old ones were OE, they barely moved and the key was about ready to break.

I checked out the thermal switch that is mounted on my refer boiler. It doesn't make any difference on temperature - on or off. Maybe it is bad. I did get the cabinet installed. We like it. Gives some color in the place. SORRY that's some raspberries that I just picked -- MMM.

post-1172-0-35260100-1403919488_thumb.jp

post-1172-0-57772700-1403919598_thumb.jp

down to the last 21 inches of new roof skin. already replaced all front cap and bunk wood both sides and 40 inches of both sides of sidewall skin then start on replacing rear cap wood framing and rear cap skin.then 40 inches of new sidewall skin on both sides. only wood that is from factory is the center of mini. the rest was water damage mostly from marker lights that was left unchecked then be ready for new rubber roof. pretty much building a whole new mini toy. new ceiling. new lights. all new carpet from truck cab back. new cabinets. counter tops. lucky i work in a rv plant lol. sure easier than building a forty footer

worked for georgie boy witch was owned by coachman for 23 years building class a and rear engine pushers then went to forest river building class c and b rvs . just for note NEVER buy any class c or b rv by forest river. as for the toy sence i ,m close to were all the wood and parts come from i can get the right wood witch rv factories use metric plywood for the under skin. it just makes rebuilding go quicker. $1700 to replace everything inside and out. if anyone needs parts i can point them in the right places

been taking photos of every step just in case i sell it witch is doughtful. half to be on death bed .then i would probly just give it to a real toyota lover. it should last another 30 + years

Topped up auto box fluid as box was a little snatchy on up changes. feels so much better.

Thanks John. We'll be giving everything a trial run this week. Going to be too hot here in GP. Going west to the sea water. The fan cools the refer vent area down 14 to 15 degrees. Darrel

Put wood stripes on the ceiling. Just took out the bracing which held the strips while the glue set. Gives it a little color while eliminating the phony self stick tape that covered the joint.

post-1172-0-46452900-1404496786_thumb.jp

post-1172-0-39336800-1404496810_thumb.jp

post-1172-0-21986700-1404496849_thumb.jp

True we are going to northern CA (Smith River) next weekend (couldn't deal with the traffic over the fourth weekend) I'm toying with the idea of getting away from the "blackwater tank" use and am going to be experimenting with composting and even portable toilets, so never fear she will have her toilet. :)

True we are going to northern CA (Smith River) next weekend (couldn't deal with the traffic over the fourth weekend) I'm toying with the idea of getting away from the "blackwater tank" use and am going to be experimenting with composting and even portable toilets, so never fear she will have her toilet. :)

I have never had a problem with emptying my tanks or using them. Waste goes down into proper sewer lines and I'm not throwing a toilet bag into a garbage can somewhere. Compost stinks

Linda S

Point taken, but as they say "to each his (or her) own" :)

Hundreds of thousands of RV's on the road. If they all decided to use portable waste systems you couldn't stand to stop at a rest stop from the smell. There would be bags of crap everywhere. " To each his own" implies not imposing on the rest of us.

Linda S

I used magnets inside and out side to hold reflextix window covers up. In the summer the shields inside help, but were much better outside.

I'm going to try a product called "kwik-shade", this week. WWW.kwikshade.com Got it at camping world also available on line. Its removable and reusable.

Putting the window in the shade is always than just blocking the sun from the inside. When I used the reflectix inside it would get hot between the window and the reflectix sort of an open sided solar collector

" and they are not useful in windy conditions "

I was not happy about the otherwise quality large awning on ours windwise but a 50' nylon rope cut in half and some nice stakes made a huge difference. Wrap the middle around the awnings top end, stake rope ends at 90 degrees. I did find it helpful to tie some brightly coloured cloth to the ropes just for safety thou.

As we were told, the wind came up real good before we got back to the RV park and all was well. Left it up like that the 2 weeks we were there no problem.:)

When we left there were several other RV's doing the same thing. Love the Ben

Franklin stores, nice rope, stake & hammer kit.

vanman

We recently bought a 1986 4runner to go along with our 84 Sunrader. The 4runner sits very high and the driver's seats in these tend to get a lot of wear due to the high step and sliding under the steering wheel. So... I swapped these somewhat more adjustable cloth seats with the vinyl seats in the Sunrader. I figured with the easier entry, seat covers would work here, where they'd get dislodged quickly in the 4runner. The seats from the Sunrader are slippery and like new, so should work better in the 4runner.

It would be a breeze to swap them, I thought! Well, the driver's seats were easy, all bolts lined up and it didn't take long. I removed the passenger seats and found that the mountings in back were much closer to the front bolt holes. Oddly, the 4runner had one covered hole in the right place, so I only had to drill and bolt with a big washer underneath. The Sunrader wasn't so handy, I had to drill 2 holes in the floor for it. But, it's a done deal!

Steve

Had to swap front drivers side with spare wheel. Idiot who did tracking last year must have used an air gun on max torque. Snapped a 3' breaker bar on first nut. So I improvised got a ratchet socket and a 5' steel tube to slide over ratchet handle then stood on end of tube. Took 2 hours to change wheel. Good job I did this at home. Taking the Dolphin into a different tyre shop for them to remove nuts on other side and torque to correct tightness. Have learned a bitter lesson on this escapade. Don't trust anyone to do a simple job properly. Not rocket science.

Had to swap front drivers side with spare wheel. idiot who did tracking last year must of used air gun on max torque. snapped a 3' breaker bar on first nut. so i improvised got a ratchet socket and a 5' steel tube to slide over ratchet handle then stood on end of tube. took 2 hours to change wheel. good job i did this at home. taking dolphin into a different tyre shop for them to remove nuts on other side and torque to correct tightness. have learned a bitter lesson on this escapade. don't trust anyone to do a simple job properly. not rocket science.

First time I ever removed the wheels I loosened them with my jack under the lug wrench. Every wheel was just as tight. Jack worked good though.

Linda S

My wheels are now torqued to stand on the lug wrench and jump a little tight. Then when I need it off I know I can do the reverse.