The what did you do to your toyhome today thread

Not too bad. Les Schwab did everything except the valves, gas filter, small coolant hose on top front of motor, for 1,911.42 $. CME Auto is doing the rest for 616.35 $ That total is a lot less than the dealer charged us for a lot less work, much of which wasn't done right. I called the dealer, just for grins and got the part #'s and prices. OH WHAT A FEELING !!, $ 501.00 each for the front calipers.

The new shocks are KYB gas filled, they tell me this is an huge upgrade from the stock shocks, which were gone. Almost forgot also a bunch of bushings in the front end and new ball joints. Hoping to pick her up Friday morning, depends on availability of the shims, it needs many. Plan on using Dolphin for long trips and do not want unpleasant surprises, only good times.

Delayed by shims, needed all exahust and several intake shims replaced. Sure glad I did it now, some were almost to no clearence.

vanman

• Replies 603
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i love les schwaub.

I never related this story but i go to les schwaub for free service all the time. they set my tires air and they balance my air bags.

but i took my bmw there once with a flat tire, and they patched it, and they found a nail in the one behind it.

ALL FOR FREE. and i didnt buy my tires there at all they dont even carry the brand. falken.

its not too often you walk into a tire shop and they charge you nothing....

I wish I liked any of their tires. my toyhome has nakangs from them but id never buy those tires.

i'm trying something to deal with the little black lines on the corrugated fiber glass siding on my dolphin. i'm rubbing softly with steel wool and the marks disappear easily leaving the surface very smooth. i'm then putting on a polish, an no buffing product, to protect. did a small area yesterday, looks really nice, no more lines and a nice soft shine. the product is supposed to bead water for a year, sort of doubt that. i did use the polish on the painted cab and it has held up for about six months already, makes washing off dirt easy and still beads water. if it works as well on the fiber glass i'll be very happy. it does say on it for fiber glass boats as well as paint. it'll take a while to do, but plan on doing it to small areas at a time so i don't burn out before done. some areas are real bad so when i get to them i'll post some before and after pictures.

i'm trying something to deal with the little black lines on the corrugated fiber glass siding on my dolphin. i'm rubbing softly with steel wool and the marks disappear easily leaving the surface very smooth. i'm then putting on a polish, an no buffing product, to protect. did a small area yesterday, looks really nice, no more lines and a nice soft shine. the product is supposed to bead water for a year, sort of doubt that. i did use the polish on the painted cab and it has held up for about six months already, makes washing off dirt easy and still beads water. if it works as well on the fiber glass i'll be very happy. it does say on it for fiber glass boats as well as paint. it'll take a while to do, but plan on doing it to small areas at a time so i don't burn out before done. some areas are real bad so when i get to them i'll post some before and after pictures.

I recall a thread not too long ago where someone was using barkeepers friend followed by some kind of Mop n glow floor polish or something on their RV fiberglass that was simply amazing. is this similar?

the product is sold to polish cars etc. i actually don't know what barkeepers friend is other than a heavy tipper :o). i liked that the steel wool smoothed the surface with very little elbow grease. hoping the polish, witch claims to contain no wax, keeps it smooth and lets the dust wash away easily not leaving lots of little black lines. now i have to google barkeepers friend.

now i see what it is. probably has something similar to rubbing compound in it. imagine it would work to smooth the surface. hadn't really thought of mop and glow for the finish, just need to get the MH to roll over on it's side.

rear bath dolphin. removed the side inner bath wall because of leak. found that only the very top horizontal board to be rotted, the insulation and verticals are still good. so fixing that isn't a big deal. however the outside fiberglass sheets have come unglued from the insulation. anyone fine a way to reglue without removing the sheeting from the outside? i thought of dripping some sort of adhesive between the siding and insulation and pushing them together from the outside. anyone here do something similar with success? type of glue to use? i'm thinking liquid nails would be too thick to run down and spread out. thanks.

rear bath dolphin. removed the side inner bath wall because of leak. found that only the very top horizontal board to be rotted, the insulation and verticals are still good. so fixing that isn't a big deal. however the outside fiberglass sheets have come unglued from the insulation. anyone fine a way to reglue without removing the sheeting from the outside? i thought of dripping some sort of adhesive between the siding and insulation and pushing them together from the outside. anyone here do something similar with success? type of glue to use? i'm thinking liquid nails would be too thick to run down and spread out. thanks.

I would use the product "Great Stuff" sold at Home depot. has a long straw that sprays an expanding expoy curing foam that cures from the moisture in the air, is waterproof and very similar to Gorilla glue chemically. "Great Stuff" is not so great stuff to get on your hands; wear gloves. It will expand to meet the corrugation.

Added having starter replaced, they agree with the dealer that the water pump looks good, soooo we pick her up tomorrow !!! WOO W00 can't wait. No 49ers game this weekend so we will be on the road testing and enjoying...

vanman

i removed my starter somewhere along the line. it turned out to be good.

I must say It was harder than it looked.

The starter itself is very accessible but removing it takes dragging it back to front and pulling it out the front.

This surprised me because I once did the starter on a celica, with a 22re and it was so easy i decided i wanted one someday. no such luck with the truck the a arms prevent the starter from coming down and a crossbar prevents it coming up. nowhere to go but forward.

I put my poor Toyhouse into storage. We will probably have snow on the ground soon. The lady that I bought it from stored it indoors every year and I plan on doing the same. The snow can get pretty heavy and the repeated freeze thaw cycles can really play havoc on the roofs and seams. It was snowing when I delivered it to the county fairgrounds to put it into a horse barn until March or April. It only cost $140 for the winter for my 20 ft Escaper.

I have been putting Bounce dryer sheets in things that I store for the winter. I have not had any mice in the RV or pop-up camper since I started doing it. The RV is in a horse barn that is visible from the road and I look to see if there are any foot prints leading to the barn every time that I drive by. We are a very low crime rate community and they have never had any vandalism or theft from vehicles/ boats/ trailers/ etc parked there. The place is very well lit and most of the storage is large open sided buildings. My RV is on the end (10 ft back from edge of the roof) because I get it out over a month before anyone else.

• 2 weeks later...

Got some of my cabinet doors refinished and rehung. Just put them up to get them out of the way for the next batch of doors to lacquer. I will have to take them all back down when I paint the walls and cabinet faces. Not sure when I will get to that part of the project, not for a couple of months anyway.

I have been out of town for about a month so I did a leak check now that it is raining in Seattle again. Found a small leak from the front window. Will add some more seal this week to the outside and if that does not fix it I will get Captain Tolley's creeping crack sealant and try that. My coach door is leaking too. I did not get around to removing it and putting on new putty tape and door gaskets before I left town. At least the water is accumulating in a completely fiberglassed area and not doing any damage to things.

Have a very minor drip leak over the coach door to track down. Probably from where the previous owner screwed in a coat hook through the shag carpeting over the door and it went right out through the fiberglass roof. I thought I got it sealed up but I guess not. Not doing any damage as I have that carpet removed and there is no paneling in that area.

Battery too low to start the engine today after sitting for a couple of months so it is slow charging tonight.

I had a flat tire on my regular car today, big nail from the garbage shed tear down project in the parking lot. At least I was not out somewhere when it went flat. Could have used the MH running today to take the tire to the shop. Won't get my tire back from the shop until Monday. Gives me a good reason to get the Sunrader up and moving again after working on projects on it from August through now.

Pictures, sounds like you are having fun with the Sunrader.

• 3 weeks later...

Installed a piece of plastic screen between round tube into air filter box and air scoop behind left side headlight. Suprised how easy it was. No mouses there, but I've been trapping 'em more often in the garage lately thou.

vanman

i forgot about this thread

I havent done maintenance on mine in a long time at all i sort of stopped when i got to portland.

but i replaced most of the interior and exterior lights with leds. ive even got the cab map light now and 6 different interiors in 3 different colors, and the front parking lights and the rear parking lights. in fact i think other than waiter i have themost completely led toyhome out there. I linked the main ones to change in my signature. I ended up gettting a few leds that were kind of dumb also but the interior lights are the right ones.

the only incadescent lights i have left are one in the cabover and the headlights and the back up lights, and the front turn signals.

i felt bad throwing out so many 1141 bulbs but i still have a car that uses them so they are back ups.

• 1 month later...

I removed the vent to my furnace and suprise, theres junk everywhere. the reason its so unreliable is theres something called a sail switch which is like a napkin thing pulling a paperclip.

• 3 weeks later...

The weather suddenly turned warm, in the sixties. Looking at the Warrior, the bumper was looking more rusty than I remembered. So, decided to paint it anew. However, it would be hard to paint it in place. Too many areas not to overspray, but masking would hide too much of the bumper and result in an incompleted paint job.

How hard to remove the bumper. Four main bolts under and two smaller ones in the wheel wells. Two screws for the wheelwell liner. May as well take out the turn signal lamps and clean them.

Rusty bumper and skirt Bolts under bumper - Four to remove Primed Bumper

med_gallery_2450_368_598141.jpg med_gallery_2450_368_1175369.jpg med_gallery_2450_368_2348722.jpg

Nice time to clean those hard to reach places.

med_gallery_2450_368_1280750.jpg

Bumper remounted and the old girl looks like she's smiling again.

gallery_2450_368_1670124.jpg

• 1 month later...

Got about a foot of heavy wet snow last night and today. I know this is bad for the Toy so I head over to my Dad's house where it is parked to get the snow pushed off the roof. While doing so I noticed the cap over my vent pipe is missing. I'm hoping I can just buy a cap to snap on there so I don't have to replace the whole thing. Anyhow besides the weight of the wet snow being a bad thing having all of that weight with all the moisture in the snow can help push water into places it might otherwise run off without getting to. so get that snow off your roofs folks!

8" of new snow 2 days ago. Rain and snow forecast for 2 days from today. Perfect time to dream about nice weather and camping. My wife (who is usually right) said to don't even think about getting the Toyhouse out of storage for another 3 weeks. I want SPRING tp get here. I did order some LED's for the coach aqnd marker lights.

Why not just buy a reel of vacuum hose and replace all there is under there, based on the assumption that it's all the original hose and prone to leaks. Chances are that it's hooked up right, but just leaking somewhere.

I came across these that should help. Hope they're accurate!

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/toyota-truck-4runner/579557-22r-22re-22rte-vacuum-diagrams.html

AND USE THE BEST BAR NONE VACUM HOSE THAT GERMAN MADE . WOVEN ON THE OUTSIDE STUFF I HAVE BEEN USING IT SINCE THE 1970s STILL FAR BETTER THEN ANYTHING ELSE WILL OUTLAST THREE TIMES ANYTHING ELSE. NEARLY GAS PRUF UNLIKE MOST VAC HOSE.

I removed the battery, cleaned the area with wire brush, and sprayed with Oleum Rust protector. This area is prone to rust due to its proximity to the acidic battery and the tendency to collect water.

• 2 weeks later...

I installed a new CSF 3 row radiator. All new heater hoses. upper and lower Rad hoses. A new alternator. replaced some trans cooler lines. next i'll be installing my new shocks and the exhaust pipe from the manifold to the cat. The worst part of todays work were the damn trans cooler lines. Ugh.

I installed a new CSF 3 row radiator. All new heater hoses. upper and lower Rad hoses. A new alternator. replaced some trans cooler lines. next i'll be installing my new shocks and the exhaust pipe from the manifold to the cat. The worst part of todays work were the damn trans cooler lines. Ugh.

Did ya get the hidden hoses. There's one kind of behind your alternator and another one on the other side under the injecter stuff.

Linda S

5Toyota

AND USE THE BEST BAR NONE VACUM HOSE THAT GERMAN MADE . WOVEN ON THE OUTSIDE STUFF I HAVE BEEN USING IT SINCE THE 1970s STILL FAR BETTER THEN ANYTHING ELSE WILL OUTLAST THREE TIMES ANYTHING ELSE. NEARLY GAS PRUF UNLIKE MOST VAC HOSE.

Second that!!! found that type hose way back in the day I had a bunch of Opel GT's , got a lotta those hoses, still using 'em, haven't had any go south yet...