but it's interesting--the loss of coolant doesn't seem to be causing the overheating---i.e., it's always been full, as far as I can tell, until this last incident when a bit of it overflowed. It's just that the coolant gets really hot...so are you saying that would be due to the exhaust gasses getting into the coolant, not from the heat of the gas, but just because it makes the coolant less effective, or somehow chemically lessens the amt of heat it can carry?

I really hate to tear into this if the HG is not at fault--it will, I think, be an expensive job.

To answer John's question--this really hot once before, as I said, on my way back from Oregon after buying the RV--but not until a few days of hard driving later. After that, it seemed to be OK; I drove it from FL to NY without an overheating issue. It sat up in NY for a couple months, until I took it out just recently. Once on the freeway, I noticed the temp start to climb, but I pulled over before it got too close to the H; after turning the engine off, then on again, the temp would begin to drop, so I assumed a fan issue. This last incident, I pushed on a little further, to see if the fan would kick in and the temp would begin to drop without my pulling over, stopping the engine, etc Well, the temp kept rising, and when it got just to the line, I pulled over--that's when I saw the reserve tank begin fill up, bubbling and boiling... I just happened to think--could the bubbling and rumbling (I was afraid the reserve tank might actually explode, it was so animate--the tank itself was moving, not just the fluid inside) have been due to gas in the fluid, rather than had Heat? though it was also very hot--steaming when it came out...

when things settled down, I continued on with out incident, but when I got off the freeway and into stop and go traffic, as I say, the temp started to climb, which it had NOT done previously ....

Oh wait, not quite true--when driving about in Tallahassee in traffic, this past winter, before driving up to NY (as mentioned above), it also started to run hot while at idle, though once I started moving, it would cool down. I think this is when I first started to suspect the fan clutch and changed it out. Then I did the White Shepherd gasket seal stuff and drove it back to NY, as I say, without incident, and had no problems on the freeway or in city traffic, until now...

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

well tlava did you ever figure it out, don't leave us hanging, i think i have always had a problem with my 22re running high temp (just below the red line) usually when climbing in mountains, not so bad on level roads, but my last trip a couple of weeks ago from east TN to FL and back seemed to be the worst so far, i had replaced the fan clutch some time back, but something Davidadro had said got me to thinking, i did have a manifold leak i noticed on this last trip and fixed that when i got home but haven't check for over heating yet, still waiting for your fix so i don't just throw money at it trying to figure it out, of course i don't mind you doing it. :greedy: thanks Phil

• 4 years later...

This is the third thread on overheating I've found that ends without any resolution. Just chiming in , cause Im having very similar issues with a new rig I bought. Here is my thread if anyone can chime in, but it seems like this a problem others have faced without ever being able to fix.

10 hours ago, deadflo said:

This is the third thread on overheating I've found that ends without any resolution. Just chiming in , cause Im having very similar issues with a new rig I bought. Here is my thread if anyone can chime in, but it seems like this a problem others have faced without ever being able to fix.

There is a thread on here for a V6 after the lady from Las Vegas spent what must of been a couple thousand dollars it was resolved. Don't remember what the issue was, but couple new radiators, electric fan, thermostat's several flushes and fluid changes, misting system, complete nightmare. 

http://toyotamotorhome.org/forums/index.php?/topic/8460-1991-v6-30-3vz-e-overheating-please-help/

I have read a couple, not sure if it was here or not that blocked passages were the issue. 

Have to remember that thousands of these rigs with millions of miles on them have no overheating issues, so exotic fix's, electric fans and 7 core kryptonite radiators are likely not needed.

Yeah Ive read her thread, and the resolution seems a bit odd. I guess what Im pointing out is that it appears there have been a few people that have had overheating issues that never got resolved, or at least they never posted what the end result is, leading me to believe they never figured it out after trying the normal routes for overheating vehicles.

23 minutes ago, deadflo said:

Yeah Ive read her thread, and the resolution seems a bit odd. I guess what Im pointing out is that it appears there have been a few people that have had overheating issues that never got resolved, or at least they never posted what the end result is, leading me to believe they never figured it out after trying the normal routes for overheating vehicles.

One of the things I find extremely frustrating on the internet is doing a search, finding a similar issue in a  thread loaded with misinformation and then when it seems like they might have found an answer, they disappear never to heard from again!  Have you tried searching Yotatech ?

On 2017-06-11 at 10:11 AM, jjrbus said:

One of the things I find extremely frustrating on the internet is doing a search, finding a similar issue in a  thread loaded with misinformation and then when it seems like they might have found an answer, they disappear never to heard from again!  Have you tried searching Yotatech ?

Yeah, that's for sure! I have been looking at a few similar threads over there as well, thanks! I'm thinking I'm narrowing it down now to two rather expensive issues. It could be rust and corrosion in the water jacket in the engine. I'm having my mechanic pull out a freeze plug this week to take a look inside. Although I have had tests done to check the head gasket, that were negative, the Toyota mechanic from my other shop says that could still be a possibility, and it may be so minor at this point, that the tests are not showing it. It has to be driven for about 15 miles at near hiways speeds before it starts to get real hot.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry to hear the news. 

Hang in there. This can be solved.

As I mentioned in one of my previous posts I'd call the Texas Car Doctor show this Saturday on KSEV Houston, Tx. Or call direct the best mechanic I know & on he's on the show. Robert, owner of AutoTectronics in Katy Tx. He'll talk to you or your mechanic if you call his shop. Just appreciate he's running a business & appreciate his time. He may have to call you back.

I called the radio show a while back for you. They gave some ideas & wanted to know if solved. One that comes to mind is clogged exhaust. Don't recall if you've tried to run the motor with exhaust disconnected.

Call him. It will cost you only your time.