Toyhome vs BMW Vixen, pictures.

stamar

Im on a road trip in san jose.

I must say, this is my favorite spot. Last time I was here I was camping out of a car, and taking showers in the 24 hour fitnesses.

There is a truly awesome huge 24 hour fitness near the airport. When I was here last, I saw a bmw vixen across the street in an industrial complex and noted, wow it would be cool to stock up a motorhome and never leave this area. For a while at least.

So a month later I return with my new 85 toyota dolphin and lo and behold the vixen is out on the street for sale now.

So I took pictures of it inside and out, even could see into the rear engine hood.

As many motorhome nerds know the vixen is not only the best mpg motorhome ever made, 30 mpg proven, but I believe its the fastest at over 90 mph easily.

That beats out toyhomes by at least 10 mpg and also beats the other contenders of the renaault leshara, vw rialta or even the modern mercedes sprinters.

better mpg, and better speed than any of them. So you say, this is the ultimate motorhome? Not so fast....

anyhow heres some pics

313542_420422244660423_1976796993_n.jpg552468_420421824660465_165895215_n.jpg

i tried to get my toyhome close to it to compare the size. but this should give you the first comparison. Believe it or not the vixen is longer. not much its probably 22 feet.

its WAY smaller in all other dimensions. The cab itself is wider that the toy truck cab, but other than that its small.

What the Vixen is really, in all reality, is a VW vanagon, Limoed out. Thats exactly what the thing is, rwd rear engine, diesel.

Very effecient use of space but come on, do you rv on all 4s? The only rv amenities are a ( large) microwave, and a porta pottie. This does not qualify as a self contained rv in california although it could be upgraded.

It is not actually what I though it was, which was a renault lesharo with a pimping bmw motor. No, it is WAY smaller than a lesharo.

It is what it is. its beautiful. Lots of seating all in silver and tables. It is a long minivan.

I would trade yes. But hes asking 27k obo.

In short I have to say that its right at the line between what a westfalia camper van is, and a micr motorhome.

Closer to a chinook in overall interior.

There were many models, this one is one of the later ones that is trying to be an executive not a camper. I like this one better, in fact this is the nicest one ive ever seen even in pictures.

21 ft. Not sure which version you were looking in, but AFAIK the 'Limo' version was only available as a 'hi-top'.

A few currently for sale. One that'll even go fast (at the expense of fuel economy).

http://spokane.craigslist.org/rvs/3113215189.html

http://sfbay.craigsl...3169441184.html

http://sfbay.craigsl...3177729433.html

post-3557-0-94671900-1344082707_thumb.jp

Im on a road trip in san jose.

I must say, this is my favorite spot. Last time I was here I was camping out of a car, and taking showers in the 24 hour fitnesses.

There is a truly awesome huge 24 hour fitness near the airport. When I was here last, I saw a bmw vixen across the street in an industrial complex and noted, wow it would be cool to stock up a motorhome and never leave this area. For a while at least.

So a month later I return with my new 85 toyota dolphin and lo and behold the vixen is out on the street for sale now.

So I took pictures of it inside and out, even could see into the rear engine hood.

As many motorhome nerds know the vixen is not only the best mpg motorhome ever made, 30 mpg proven, but I believe its the fastest at over 90 mph easily.

That beats out toyhomes by at least 10 mpg and also beats the other contenders of the renaault leshara, vw rialta or even the modern mercedes sprinters.

better mpg, and better speed than any of them. So you say, this is the ultimate motorhome? Not so fast....

anyhow heres some pics

313542_420422244660423_1976796993_n.jpg552468_420421824660465_165895215_n.jpg

i tried to get my toyhome close to it to compare the size. but this should give you the first comparison. Believe it or not the vixen is longer. not much its probably 22 feet.

its WAY smaller in all other dimensions. The cab itself is wider that the toy truck cab, but other than that its small.

What the Vixen is really, in all reality, is a VW vanagon, Limoed out. Thats exactly what the thing is, rwd rear engine, diesel.

Very effecient use of space but come on, do you rv on all 4s? The only rv amenities are a ( large) microwave, and a porta pottie. This does not qualify as a self contained rv in california although it could be upgraded.

It is not actually what I though it was, which was a renault lesharo with a pimping bmw motor. No, it is WAY smaller than a lesharo.

It is what it is. its beautiful. Lots of seating all in silver and tables. It is a long minivan.

I would trade yes. But hes asking 27k obo.

Found the location. Will try to go check it out this afternoon just to see it. it has been there a very long time. Google street view shows it parked in the same place from pics inside the commercial center but not there from Zanker rd views. They don't go on side streets often so it could have been a long time since they took that picture

Linda S

Just checked the date on the street view image. Vixen has been there since 2007. I'm betting he's take less than 27,000

i liked the pictures with the roof popped up, its all window.

definitely like the pop up roof better than the camper roof.

yes actually this one looks exactly like those on the inside. The stove just looks like a counter top to me.

you know what though linda as far as your google maps info goes.

Google headquarters is within 2 miles of this vixen, its like 1 exit down the 101.

Probably gets the more coverage than average.

There's one of these that has been sitting for a couple years off the freeway by an RV sales place. Two tone red and silver, and it's cool to finally know what it is I have been looking at. Maybe I will stop off and get some pics the next time my job takes me by there. Cool looking thing it is.

as im listing other motorhomes that get good gas mileage

I didnt list the nissan motorhomes made by dolphin and sunrader

using the z24 I think they get better gas mileage than the 22r my some small amount.

and theres also dolphins based on the 4 cylinder and v6 version of the chevy astro also by dolphin and maybe some other

I remember being kind of excited when i saw those because they had a bit better space usage than a toyhome.

however at this point I think theyre all in the junkyard. I havent seen one in a looooong time. those astros were really unreliable.

Anyhow to try to compare the two we have to really get into what each is.

the truth is a vixen is a class B motorhome. it is a VAn, although completely custom and fiberglass lengthened and equipped with rv equipment.

So is a rialta and a lesharo, they are just also widened and the roof is raised. A vixen is more like a lesharo than any other thing. Its just much lighter and uses a turbodiesel.

So are most mercedes sprinter motorhomes, they are the class B motorhome. The trek type.

Ok so now follow this.... So is a toyota chinook. A toyota chinook is made from a fiberglass body for a dodge type class b motorhome. Just has a truck instead of a american van.

Now our dolphins and sunraders are not a class b, they are a class C motorhome. They use the bodies that are put on american van frames, but the very smallest ones.

Now in head to head space a class B can indeed be larger than the smallest class C ( what most of us have)

The largest class Bs are now those mercedes 3500 sprinter vans that with a fiberglass top can have an 8 foot ceiling and be 24 feet long.

So the vixen is a class B in a small but long shape with a 5 speed and a diesel. As far as toyhomes it doesnt have a cabover, in fact it just has 1 bed. It is most like a chinook or a mirage.

I admired the vixen, but right at this moment I wouldnt trade. The extra space for actually living in and the huge windows to let the air in make a big difference.

Now on the other hand once you hit the actual road, Id rather have the vixen all day long. and the two things together arent even Id still rather have the vixen.

id feel like I was abusing it camping in it.

I think thats why they went out of business

Heres a bit of info about the Vixen:

http://stannerair.hypermart.net/Vixenhome.htm

Here's the many this place has for sale:

http://stannerair.hypermart.net/

They are really cool, more pricey than a Toy, but I think they sold for more originally as well.

OK as far as the google pic showing a 2007 date. When you get close on those street views it shows the actual date the street was scanned. Yes from Zanker rd it didn't show the Vixen but from inside the commercial complex it did and that pic said 2007. I never got over there to look but I was in Santa Cruz searching for a Sunrader a friend told me was for sale. Didn't find the Sunrader but on the same street I found a Vixen back in some overgrown bushes and half covered by a tarp. Filthy, doesn't look like it's been moved in years. Google street view on tht one was 2009 and it was in exactly the same spot in the same condition. Pretty sure you couldn't even get it out without cutting back the bushes. BMW pop top. Got a Tiger Provan to sell and then I'm going back and make them an offer

Linda

for a vixen in santa cruz?

I think a vixen is a real smart buy. I do not think they will ever fall in value. There will never be anything like it made again.

Add to it it was the last turbo diesel engine we were allowed to use in the us until the last 2 years.

So basically, nothing was introduced in america that had more power and effeciency for 20 years afterwards. Big oil conspiracy, they only let us use the vw 2 valve tdi, and then the ohv diesel truck engines based on designs from the 50s.

This was a fantastic post; I had seen the interior pics and had a hunch this was like a VW. The motor and speed are alluring however the lack of available parts and other issues would be detrimental. My favorite part about the toys are the parts; dirt cheap and ridiculously easy to work on. I just changed my AC and alternator belts in under 10 minutes yesterday and just couldn't believe how simple it was; not the swearing and cursing adventure changing them in my old TDI beetle had been.

Here's an interesting oldie called an Ultravan. It was rear engine, and powered by a Corvair drivetrain, and states 16 MPG. Kinda neato.

post-5603-0-56886500-1344673322_thumb.jp

Here's one for sale, shows the interior layout. Alot of room inside to customize how you would want it, but pricey it seems for such an old RV. The vintage Vixen in a way, kinda neato though!

http://www.corvair.o...ed/used462.html

Heres another that needs work, not as pricey. It seems they are all aluminum shell like an Airstream.

http://www.corvair.o...ed/used420.html

Hey, here's the entire site that has tons for sale!

http://www.corvair.org/chapters/ultravan/used.html

This was a fantastic post; I had seen the interior pics and had a hunch this was like a VW. The motor and speed are alluring however the lack of available parts and other issues would be detrimental. My favorite part about the toys are the parts; dirt cheap and ridiculously easy to work on. I just changed my AC and alternator belts in under 10 minutes yesterday and just couldn't believe how simple it was; not the swearing and cursing adventure changing them in my old TDI beetle had been.

definitely depends on how much you save in gas whether or not you can afford the transmission shop rebuilding a french made transmission.

Im pretty sure all the parts like brake pads and alternators are a pretty common auto part store purchase based on a bmw l6. I dont know how difficult it is to work on the vixen as far as accesss, it is easier than a vw because tthe access hood opens to outside.

the corvair van, the steel bodied version of this, was definitely famous for fatalities during accidents.

The actual corvair vans in the 60s are really beautiful.

These aluminum ones.... not so much. very interesting though.

seems the next model of this is the gmc motorhome made from 73-78. That in comparison was a big success with like 15,000 made. it shared this 455 oldsmobile fwd v8 with the corvair rv.

somewhere along the line a v8 fwd car rv whatever doesnt seem like such a great idea anymore. In the 70s it was new.

i think the fwd rv concept was liked because the floor can be like 4 inches lower or something.

or the rear engine rwd like the vixen. I could personally live without that concept I think the floor is already too low in my toyhome.

the gmc motorhome was also aluminum fwd like this corvair. it was tag axle, 23-26 ft v8 fwd 10 mpg. very big following. You can tell its the same idea as this corvair, like the next model

My Father dreamed all during the time I was growing up to have a GMC Motorhome. They made close to 13,000 of these, and more that half I would estimate are still on the road today. They first used the Toronado front wheel drive system with a 455 and later on the 403 motors. Still later, versions had the 454 Chevy with Turbo 400 drive train I do believe. Definitely not fuel efficient, but had air ride, and were actually made completely by a GM factory division. These were not a secondary company just using their cabs or chassis, so they were really well made. A very cool product from the 70's, and I wouldn't mind owning a nice one today, but need a trust find to afford the gas!

Here's the full chassis:

post-5603-0-10197000-1344721658_thumb.jp

The brochure for the 23 footer:

post-5603-0-22063300-1344721703_thumb.jp

And a 26 footer I would love to own:

post-5603-0-09299600-1344721736_thumb.jp

Only ever from the Factory with the 455 & 403. Never the 454 (Chevy). Some more recently have upgraded to the Cadillac 500. Lots of support for them.

They also sold some called a 'Transmode' (pretty much an empty shell) that were finished inside by others. I think Avion was probably the best known.

Only ever from the Factory with the 455 & 403. Never the 454 (Chevy). So more recently have upgraded to the Cadillac 500. Lots of support for them.

They also sold some called a 'Transmode' (pretty much an empty shell) that were finished inside by others. I think Avion was probably the best known.

My bad, it was the Revcon Toronado front drive motorhome that went from the Olds to the Chevy 454 in 1979 due to the downsizing of the Toronado.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's something to maybe consider if planning to put a lot of money into ones Toyhome. So much added room, and something ya can't do with a Vixen I dont think, no matter how cool they are! They are cool! I wonder how much weight it would add to put in a slideout...

post-5603-0-64953400-1345584996_thumb.jp

That's a 4-Seasons 'Pioneer'. Factory slide. Not many about.

How cool it is, and back in 1985 too boot. It's interesting to think about though, getting a slide out kit, or maybe a small one from a junked motorhome and putting one in? Alot of work and money, but again.... How cool! Thanks Derek.

Apparently, it sold recently in Casper Wyoming for six grand!

http://www.rvt.com/r...lick=detail_top

Here's a cool mod, taking an old Chinook and putting it atop a Toyota Tacoma 4x4?

post-5603-0-17069200-1345594384_thumb.jp

I have worked on the Vixens They are a right pain. The BMW diesel is a great engine and the ZF trans is pretty tough but there is nothing easy to fix about them and parts are close to non existent. I would stick with the Toyota a lot easier on the checking account. There by the way is a really nice looking GMC motor home sitting in a storage lot in Portland Maine been there for years hasn't moved an inch.

the transaxle is made by renault. Its taking a front engine rwd engine, and putting it rear engine rwd ( turning it sideways yes) nl

Its a part only used in the vixen. Its the reverse of the transmission used in the renault lesharo.

zf might make the trans that goes with the bmw 524d but it has no use too the vixen.

The vixen is more sort of something you buy and garage. It would be too much of a risk to drive it to yellowstone blow a head gasket and have to order it from germany.

Probably more than you ever wanted to read about them:-

http://www.bdub.net/publications/

Thanks Derek, I will enjoy perusing through all the info. My Dad is gone now, but everytime I see a GMC, it makes me think of him. Peace Derek!