Toyhome vs BMW Vixen, pictures.

stamar

All of this talk about Vixen, 455 GMCs and Revcons reminds me of one of my favorite old school motorhomes, the FMC with a MOPAR 440 in the rear. Granted, it won't challenge the 30 MPG of the Vixen but it just might overtake its 90-100 MPH top speed. I've seen one in person but didn't get any pics. Here's a few thanks to Google:

1975-735x405.jpg

4523558_3.jpg

100_0230.jpg

73rv50017-3.jpg

Edited by MontereyDave

I have always loved the FMC, and was a standard for many years. The predecessor to many of the same design for pushers to this day. Thanks for the share!

This one was my favorite all time FMC for sale. If I had the bucks, though a bargan for this particular offering, I would have jumped on it as soon as they dropped the price by half.

http://www.rvt.com/rvdetail4536849.htm

I think a modern diesel pusher can have a theoretical higher top speed than a vixen but would never beat it in a realistic race. the vixen would reach 100 while the diesel pusher was still at 60.

I believe a top line catapillar diesel has like 1200 lb ft torque its top speed is not limited by the weight but by the gears you want to connect to it. It could haul a line of train cars.

I think the vixen is the fastest motorhome in terms of track times but not top speed.

I think a modern diesel pusher can have a theoretical higher top speed than a vixen but would never beat it in a realistic race. the vixen would reach 100 while the diesel pusher was still at 60.

I believe a top line catapillar diesel has like 1200 lb ft torque its top speed is not limited by the weight but by the gears you want to connect to it. It could haul a line of train cars.

I think the vixen is the fastest motorhome in terms of track times but not top speed.

Ok, maybe Im missing the point, but I can’t see anything important concerning the statistics involving the racing a motor home or even attempting to see how fast above the speed limit it can go? What practical information would be prudent to compare ones RV as anything but what it is intended for? Sure, tongue and cheek fantasizing is always fun, and horsepower and torque are absolutely a must as Derek has explained, but top speed isn’t really a factor unless one can’t maintain a decent highway or maybe passing speed. If they can’t, then yes it's maybe not something one would want to purchase. But anyone drag racing, or attempting or concerning themselves with how fast their motor home will go escapes my rational way of thinking? Sorry, I’m not bitching here, just please, be safe out there!

Torque => Acceleration

Horsepower => Top speed.

http://www.examiner....nd-speed-record

Yeah Derek, you have it correct. Imagine a wind up toy plane. The rubber band is your available power, and the winding of it is the torque. The more you wind it, the more forward acceleration you will have.

the picture in my mind of two motorhomes lined up on a drag strip is just too funny. is it an fmc that scoopy doo has? :o) that one is fast LOL

Haha! Just the thought of this thread reminds me of the great Top Gear RV race episode:

motorhomeracing-lg0519.jpg