Generator Help!

Hello Everyone! I am so excited to a part of this group! My husband and I just recently bought our little baby girl "Destiny"! She is a 21 foot 1988! We are currently looking to buy her an onboard generator as we are preparing for a cross country journey! Anyone have any suggestions of which one is the best? Look forward to hearing from you

WELCOME TO the group i dont have one myself. but the make everyone uses seems too be the ONAN i bleve the company is part of CUMMINS they have a very good ratting. for portable generators THE HONDAS ARE VERY HIGHLY REGARDED

Before you make a decision to buy a gen, why do you need it,

Every one uses their Toyhouses a little different.

If I'm on the road traveling and more or less use the Toyhouse rather than a Motel 6, the only reason I would need a generator would be to run the Air Conditioner. If I need A/C for the night, I'll stop at an RV park and plug into shore power.

I may do some boondocking where it would be nice to run the A/C, I 'm looking at a small portable quite generator. I have a small 1500 watt portable generator, its not as loud as a lawnmower, but not acceptable quite if I used it around other campers.

If I'm parked for any length of time and need to re-charge the coach battery. I run the truck for 15 minutes. I specifically installed a remote Starter just for this purpose. Ihit the start button, the truck starts, runs for 15 minutes, then shuts off. Your truck engine needs to be electronic fuel injection in order to use a remote starter.

JOhn Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

Any generator that will live in the motor home must be an RV type. Onan I think at this point is the only RV unit for sale they are special units that use gas from the MH tank and have exhaust systems that exit from underneath along with the cooling air. The Microlite 2800 Onan is usually what is found in the Toy homes. Some thing you can carry like a Honda 2000 is a nice alternative it is border line as far as running your A/C even with an upgrade part in the A/C unit it's self. As John said it all depends on what your needs are and how much you have to spend. $200 will buy a very noisy portable generator $3,000 will buy a nice installed Onan. If you need A/C dry camping you'll have to invest in a generator.

Here's what I did...

First I took off the rear passenger side storage hatch door, and cut and screwed some 2" polystyrene trim stock to border of the opening to expand the width of the storage box. I painted the trim with some exterior enamel. I then remounted the hatch door to the trim and put a locking hasp with good security lock on it.

post-5603-0-72063000-1342962167_thumb.jp

With a few modifications to the inside edge to the frame to access door, just cutting a notch to a portion of the bottom rail to allow the generator frame to slide in freely, I have a place to store my generator. It has a 3 gallon tank, and will run for 8 to 10 hours depending on load. I picked up this generator 6 years ago for less than 250 bucks, and it has never let me down when needed. It's extremely quiet, and provides all the power I need when the necessity arises.

post-5603-0-07525200-1342962200_thumb.jp

Needless to say, I pull out the generator when used and lock it to the rear bumper with a heavy duty cable lock, and exhaust pointing away from the home. I usually use it if parked at a Truck Stop or Wal-Mart, as if I am on the road, I don’t usually pay for overnight stays at a RV Park unless I am going be there for a couple of days. I plug the RV power cable into it, and I found this works well for me, and it might not be good for all, as you do have to be able to lift the generator into the storage hatch, but if you have a compact generator, it’s not too difficult. I thought I'd share it with you….Peace!

We are living in our motorhome full time. We will soon be leaving on a cross country road trip with no end date. It will be imperative to have a generator throughout times of our travels. I have heard Onan a lot but as I did some research I saw some negatives reviews saying they were unreliable. Any thoughts?

Before you make a decision to buy a gen, why do you need it,

Every one uses their Toyhouses a little different.

If I'm on the road traveling and more or less use the Toyhouse rather than a Motel 6, the only reason I would need a generator would be to run the Air Conditioner. If I need A/C for the night, I'll stop at an RV park and plug into shore power.

I may do some boondocking where it would be nice to run the A/C, I 'm looking at a small portable quite generator. I have a small 1500 watt portable generator, its not as loud as a lawnmower, but not acceptable quite if I used it around other campers.

If I'm parked for any length of time and need to re-charge the coach battery. I run the truck for 15 minutes. I specifically installed a remote Starter just for this purpose. Ihit the start button, the truck starts, runs for 15 minutes, then shuts off. Your truck engine needs to be electronic fuel injection in order to use a remote starter.

JOhn Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

What kind of generator did you use here? Is it able to run your ac?

Here's what I did...

First I took off the rear passenger side storage hatch door, and cut and screwed some 2" polystyrene trim stock to border of the opening to expand the width of the storage box. I painted the trim with some exterior enamel. I then remounted the hatch door to the trim and put a locking hasp with good security lock on it.

post-5603-0-72063000-1342962167_thumb.jp

With a few modifications to the inside edge to the frame to access door, just cutting a notch to a portion of the bottom rail to allow the generator frame to slide in freely, I have a place to store my generator. It has a 3 gallon tank, and will run for 8 to 10 hours depending on load. I picked up this generator 6 years ago for less than 250 bucks, and it has never let me down when needed. It's extremely quiet, and provides all the power I need when the necessity arises.

post-5603-0-07525200-1342962200_thumb.jp

Needless to say, I pull out the generator when used and lock it to the rear bumper with a heavy duty cable lock, and exhaust pointing away from the home. I usually use it if parked at a Truck Stop or Wal-Mart, as if I am on the road, I don’t usually pay for overnight stays at a RV Park unless I am going be there for a couple of days. I plug the RV power cable into it, and I found this works well for me, and it might not be good for all, as you do have to be able to lift the generator into the storage hatch, but if you have a compact generator, it’s not too difficult. I thought I'd share it with you….Peace!

What kind of generator did you use here? Is it able to run your ac?

It’s a ProForce by Powermate, and it's rated at 2500 watts, and peaks at 3125 which is very good for the cost of the unit. It has power metering and auto shutdowm if the load reaches too much, of oil gets low. I got it at a Fleet Farm store. It was $229.75 with tax out the door, and after 6 years, and proper maintenance, it has never let me down. I do run my AC with it; however, I no longer have a roof style unit. I removed mine for many reasons, roof sag, less drag gives much better fuel mileage, and it was just overkill for such a small area to cool. I am using a new portable indoor combo unit with AC and heater, and my generator works fine with it. It runs my microwave, lights, and electronics quietly and efficiently, and it’s not too heavy for me to lift and slide into its cubby. Hope this helps

post-5603-0-99390300-1343048186_thumb.jp

I have a 93 winnie warrior - these came with the kohler 2500 watt. It died as most of those have. essentially after research I came to 4 options;

1) put in an onan 2800 - pro's -starts with a push button - can run the ac no problem - no slepping gas and unsightly trailer boxes, etc (about $3000 when all done)

2) get a honds 2000i - will run AC even though it is not rated to do it - not sure how that would work long term. Will run my 1500 wat microwave too. Running a genset to run ac is going to be costly unless you are going to do for an hour or so just to cool off the interior. Fuel efficient - quiet but one has to either build an unsightly bumper box to carry it -or- (I modified the kohler compartment) and I have to take it out & set it on the ground to use it. $900 from wiselsales.com. 3 year warranty.

3) get one of the chinese cheapo generators - most are louder, bulkier and IMO junk

4) go without.

I went for #2 - traveling for the summer & it is working out well. I am in higher elevations colorado so I have not used my AC at all. Have used the furnace & heat strip though a bit. If I don;t drive much (which I don't do that often) I run the genset every few days for a few hours to charge my cabin battery. I have a laptop and verizon hotspot that I use a lot via a 400 watt inverter (cobra - about $30 from walmart.com) good for cellphones cameras etc.

Essentially you need to measure your possible storage spots - decide if you want a mounted unit and go from there. Some use their bumper box as a running platform too.

The reality of the AC is that you will need to plug in somewhere to run it anywhere near fulltime. The gas consumption alone will make using a larger genset impractical

I was down looking at the honda 2000 generator and was told camping world now has a knock off with the same stats and works just as well here's a link to it if you're going to go with the honda but lack som cash this may be a good idea. http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/campers-world/powerhouse-2000wi-2000-watt-inverter-generator/coa60376 .

Here's the stats and info for the Coleman Proforce Powermate I use with my Dolphin. The site is a lot higher in price than I paid, though it was 6 years ago, I'm sure one could find one for less. The DB rating isnt as good as the Honda, but it is a respectable low 67 running at 2500w load, with spark arrestor muffler.

http://salestores.com/colema67.html

67 db would definitely not cut it for an rv or campsite.

You are not even using whats called a camping generator even though it is made by coleman a camp type company.

youre kind of using the drawer to drown out some noise. the honda or other portable generators or sealed and sound proofed although otherwise similar.

67 db would definitely not cut it for an rv or campsite.

You are not even using whats called a camping generator even though it is made by coleman a camp type company.

youre kind of using the drawer to drown out some noise. the honda or other portable generators or sealed and sound proofed although otherwise similar.

We all use what works for us, and I've used mine for 6 years, and have used my generator at many campgrounds. I use it when needed at State campgrounds, and at non eletric campgrounds until quite time is desiginated. I have never had one complaint about the noise of my generator, and It has a spark arrestor muffler, so it passes all safety requirements, no matter where I decide to use it. The 8db difference to the Honda is somewhat dubious, and when running in the back of my motorhome, you can barely hear it when inside, or at the front door. heck, some of the big motorhomes next to me using their built in's can be noiser than the one I use. I'm glad we all have opinions, and have the ability to determine what works for us... Peace!

actually the honda goes as low as 53 db.

the differencce between 53 r 59 db and 67 is huge in the way the sound scale is done.

67 db is not a quiet generator but a loud one, the lawnmower level sound. it is the standard loud non sound proofed generator.

No better or worse than all of the ones on the market like that.

theres a youtube comparison of the difference between 53 db and 59 db and its huge.

actually the honda goes as low as 53 db.

the differencce between 53 r 59 db and 67 is huge in the way the sound scale is done.

67 db is not a quiet generator but a loud one, the lawnmower level sound. it is the standard loud non sound proofed generator.

No better or worse than all of the ones on the market like that.

theres a youtube comparison of the difference between 53 db and 59 db and its huge.

If my generator was as loud as a lawnmower, not only would any park have a problem with me using it as I have, so would I by have gone crazy with that kind of noise. I'm glad your as happy with your choice as I have been with mine, Be well!!

Here is my 2 cents worth. If your boon docking (no hookups) for any length of time a generator is a nice thing to have. Not sure though if a built in one is a good choice though. The outside storage a generator uses can be critical in our small toy houses. Plus they are not as quiet as having one that you can set a few feet away. Their sound tends to reverberate through the coach. But having a small 2k or even 1k gen that can be stored in the shower and run a few feet away. A 1k is good for running lights and putting a charge on the battery(s). Remember if your in a camp ground its not just you who has to put up with the noise. I find nothing worse than the guy who has to run his generator all day and far into the night even if it is whisper quiet. A round from a 357 usually makes a gen quiet but sure gets allot of oil on the ground, just kidding of course.

Installing an onan into your coach is not just bolting it in. It's way more involved and unless you can do all the fabrication and hookups yourself be prepared to write a big check.

For me I have 1k really quiet generator which I can strap and lock to the rear bumper. Uses almost no gas and is easy to move around. A 1000 watt gen is 8 amps. A 2000 watt is just over 16 amps. The rating of a generator is usually max and not sustained, in other words it may be called a 2000 watt but really it's less. 2000 is the outer limits etc. An air conditioner even though it might say it needs 7 amps to run will need much more than that to start and get the compressor spinning. So as everyone else has mentioned, what do you need it for? Solar panels and a second battery might also be an option. There are also many ways to conserve batteries such as led lighting etc. Just switching to led will make a huge difference in battery use.

That might have been 50cents worth.

A lawn mower that is about 3 feet away produces about as much sound pressure as a subway train that crosses 10 feet in front of you. The sound pressure level from a lawn mower is about 95 to 100 decibels. This is about 16 times as loud as a normal conversation. According to Dangerous Decibels, which is an awareness program at Oregon Health and Science University, you should not expose yourself to 100 decibels of sound for more than 15 minutes at a time.

Read more: What Is the Average Decibel of a Push Mower? | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/info_12155915_average-decibel-push-mower.html#ixzz22V8TMMkd

I have a honda 2000 - I am happy with it. Wisesales.com was selling them for $900 shipping included -- a few other dealers in the Chicago area do the same.

I like the quiet - I like the 3 year warranty. I looked at the others --- I was not impressed.

Note the 2000 is not rated to pull the AC - if you require AC then you need something bigger.

• 2 weeks later...

• Here's an interesting Honda 4000 generator on eBay. It is used, but no reserve, and is currently only at 56 bucks. Says it runs and works. Even it there is a bit of work needed, a steal for someone looking for a generator that will run anything in a Toyhome? One could cut down the frame and make to fit in a modified storage, or as some have done, mount on a trailer hitch holder? It's local pick up only, but didnt see where it was being sold at. I just thought it was an interesting buy.

http://www.ebay.com/...f0cd0b7&vxp=mtr

Here's an Onan 4000 as well, it's buy now at $750.bucks, and High bis $400.00

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4000-watt-onan-generator-/130750818470?pt=Motors_RV_Trailer_Camper_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1e715b28a6&vxp=mtr

Item location: Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States

Ships to: Local pick-up only

Might be a Honda motor (a good thing) but might not be any quieter than any other open frame genset.

Not sure, one could get a quiet muffler for it Im sure, mine is real quiet, nothing like a regular lawnmower

• 1 month later...