Looking for help figuring out model make etc. to buy.

GrantD

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's a little fix the way you want 1980 Toyota Vanguard? Another I've never heard of. Kinda cool, and has alot of open space to create one's own unique layout. it's cool finding things out there that are different. Maybe one could adapt a Chinook style pop up on the roof area to make it more functional?

http://www.usedvicto...nguard_17675690

post-5603-0-62286800-1345468923_thumb.jp

really all I NEED as a single guy is a full sizee bed, sink and stove and storage for clothes.

my toyhome is overkill. Not to say that bigger isnt nice too, and entertaining guests might be nice.

I think the 18 foot sunrader or the 16 foot mirage are better suited for me

in order to qualify for rv registration in cali though an rv has to have a toilet. aparently there are non fixed solutions you can bring for an inspection and discard.

What I dont want is all that weight of crap ( literally) tanks pipes and an entire room devoted to something that isnt happening..

I also want way more windows in my rv, particularly a sky window like I saw in the americana. If I were going to get out a sawzhaul its to cut a hole in the roof. either a standard rv window or a cars moonroof.

really all I NEED as a single guy is a full sizee bed, sink and stove and storage for clothes.

my toyhome is overkill. Not to say that bigger isnt nice too, and entertaining guests might be nice.

I think the 18 foot sunrader or the 16 foot mirage are better suited for me

in order to qualify for rv registration in cali though an rv has to have a toilet. aparently there are non fixed solutions you can bring for an inspection and discard.

What I dont want is all that weight of crap ( literally) tanks pipes and an entire room devoted to something that isnt happening..

I also want way more windows in my rv, particularly a sky window like I saw in the americana. If I were going to get out a sawzhaul its to cut a hole in the roof. either a standard rv window or a cars moonroof.

Sounds like we might have similar ideas about our homes, as we both being single travelers. In my case, I found the bathroom was a waste of great space, and the two huge holding tanks sloshing around were extra load if allowed to even get half full. That’s why my bathroom is now a wardrobe, shelves, cabinet, drawers and storage area.

post-5603-0-06287000-1345471276_thumb.jppost-5603-0-96332600-1345471296_thumb.jppost-5603-0-87359500-1345471321_thumb.jppost-5603-0-41711200-1345571264_thumb.jp

If I plan to go boon-docking, I do have a portable folding toilet and a spring metal, pop up room for a sun shower and toilet that will fold up flat, but only take with me if I am going somewhere isolated.

Believe me, the pop up actually has more functional room than the bathroom did. Some people could use their tiny bathroom I guess, but at 6'2" and 200 pounds, it was kind of ridicules being hunched over in a corner, using one hand to hold the sprayer and the other to keep balance. I take a couple gallons of jug water, and have water going to the kitchen, and remaining bathroom sink. I did keep the potable water tank to fill up if I am going out to the sticks and one modified small grey water tank just for any sink water used. Happy Travels!

I agree I am 6 3.

What they call a shower is actually just another sink with a spigot it is not a functional human shower.

And id be hunched over. Not a daily solution.

And what they call a toilet stores feces in a way so that it can rot and give you a disease getting rid of it. It all aint for me. As far as everyday or even occasional.

Id do it exactly like you Id have a shower attached to the rv door and shower off under the awning. for full time camping.

At that point I could just attach another shower spigot to the sink. In fact I could attach a shower spigot to the sink and shower in that worthless room.

they are right next to each other anyway.

the bathroom itself just makes me angry as it is not even water proof. Its covered with wallpaper. its like a faux bathroom meant to fool you at the showroom. I doubt its ever been used for it shower.

That's a solution too Stamar. On the rare occasion I do go boondocking, I just take myTexsport 01082, and use it with the included 5 gallon SunShower.. The enclosure is really stable even in windy conditions, and It's nearly 5 feet by 5 feet square, and 7 and a quarter feet tall. Ahhhh, actual room to take a shower, and not a just a spraydown, stuffed in a ToyHome birdbath! For now, I just heat the water, put it in the bag, hang the bag and enjoy. I got mine here.

http://www.statetrai...eywords=2142200

post-5603-0-33317800-1345563178_thumb.jp

I am going to install an outdoor shower box where my propane water heater vent plate is, and hook up to my water and electric instant water heater supply so I dont have to use the SunShower.

http://www.ebay.com/...a1dfc2c&vxp=mtr

post-5603-0-85508100-1346029860_thumb.jp

I use the very stable and strong folding toilet for number 2's, just bag and burry, no different than bagging for the dog really. No touch, slosh, draining and cleaning the nasty. It folds to about 5 inches flat. But as mentioned, only take either one along if roughing it, mostly I stay where there are nice facilities.

post-5603-0-32033800-1345563201_thumb.jp

I agree I am 6 3.

What they call a shower is actually just another sink with a spigot it is not a functional human shower.

And id be hunched over. Not a daily solution.

And what they call a toilet stores feces in a way so that it can rot and give you a disease getting rid of it. It all aint for me. As far as everyday or even occasional.

Id do it exactly like you Id have a shower attached to the rv door and shower off under the awning. for full time camping.

At that point I could just attach another shower spigot to the sink. In fact I could attach a shower spigot to the sink and shower in that worthless room.

they are right next to each other anyway.

the bathroom itself just makes me angry as it is not even water proof. Its covered with wallpaper. its like a faux bathroom meant to fool you at the showroom. I doubt its ever been used for it shower.

Know what you mean about those alleged showers. Had that in my Sunrader. Could never see using it daily. My current Odyssey with rear bath does have a separate shower but, it is a joke. A very skinny midget might do OK in it, but, that's about it. The best shower I have seen is the west coast built sunrader with the "wet" shower. The entire bath is a molded fiberglass shower with the sink built in. This is far preferable to the separate micro shower in my Odyssey. It is actually decent sized and comes with the built in seat!

I saw that one....a day after it sold. Man, that would have been a good candidate for a 5 speed swap.

Heres a neat little 18 foot Sunrader in Mandeville, Louisiana, United States. It is listed on an eBay auction and it's listed as a BUY NOW price of only 2600.00. A very good price for a Sunrader. It states it only has the 5 lug rims, but being a small 18 footer you might be ok? Worth a look for someone I would think? As you know sunraders are a very good home, and most of the leak concerns are eleminated. This person has dropped the price twice, but, as always on eBay, watch out for scams!Happy Travels!

http://cgi.ebay.com/...em=251134678382

Here's another I've never seen before called a Scat? I don't think Chinook made them, I found a link

http://toyotachinook...he-toyota-scat/

Kinda odd, as the windows in the front cabover appear to be painted features? If you go the the the given link, it shows the inside, and there are no windows in the area they appear to be from the outside? Interesting little unit..

post-5603-0-80665100-1345586082_thumb.jp

Ok, not all of us had this kind of money to shell out, but with free airfare to go and pick up, and the condition, WOW, someone has an incredible Dolphin!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/92-TOYOTA-DOLPHIN-RV-CLASS-C-MOTORHOME-/320951788910?pt=RVs_Campers&hash=item4aba37a56e

I'm just a bit north of Seattle, WA. Thanks all for the input.

My "plan" is that once I get one, the Toyhouse would become my new hobby and I will try to learn how to do various things, but to start off I won't know much.

Well, that would make you just like everybody else. Weren't none of us born mechanics. believe it or not, this stuff ain't rocket surgery. And who knows, you might even find out that you like fiddling around with things once you dive in.

Just keep reading and asking questions. Many here are more than happy to help. A few even know what they're talking about. :)

And any advice you get is worth at least what you paid. I have been in the toyhouse racket for over 5 years now and am still learning.

Ok, not all of us had this kind of money to shell out, but with free airfare to go and pick up, and the condition, WOW, someone has an incredible Dolphin!

http://cgi.ebay.com/...=item4aba37a56e

k thats th dolphin 600, rear bathroom. I think by 92 it has corrugated fiberglass instead of aluminum. I dont think thats any better as far as leaks but I think its lighter.

v6 auto. 6 lug front. power steering.

Same airbags and they downgraded their bilsteins for cheapie shocks.....

The only upgrade I see is a wallmart comforter and pillow set in purple.

In short my 85 is better. It weighs less gets better gas mileage is more reliable. Doesnt really have too many more miles even. that one went for 13k thats crazy.

oh ya 600 is the rear bedroom same as the 500 but with a door and no table. 900 is the rear bathroom, similar to the 300 but the rear is all bathrom and the stove sink is on the side where the wardrobe is.

We have a 1984 Sunrader, 22r, auto tranny and love it. Something rarely (I've never seen it ) mentioned. The auto tranny has a huge advantage on any kind of rough ground, while boondocking! We also have an 87 pickup with 4 speed. 5 mph is about the absolute bottom limit without slipping the clutch. Many forest service cg's and back roads are gravel and sometimes pretty rough. That lower speed with the automatic is a big plus!

Neither of us are large, so the closet bathroom/shower is tight, but very handy. One of the things I like best about it is when we go to town to do major shopping, there's never a problem with finding a place when "ya gotta go"! The holding tanks are on the small side, so weight and sloshing really isn't a problem. Once you've emptied them a few times, it's no big deal, pretty quick and easy.

A downside to the Sunrader, you can't sit up in bed above the cab. There's very little headroom. The person sleeping in front has an interesting time getting over the other person in the middle of the night!

One of the best alternate showers is a brand new (don't want one with who know what in it), pump up insect sprayer, the kind that uses a 1-2 gallon bottle and has a spray head on a flexible tube. Fill with hot water and you can spray yourself anywhere and it's very frugal with water.

Steve

We have a 1984 Sunrader, 22r, auto tranny and love it. Something rarely (I've never seen it ) mentioned. The auto tranny has a huge advantage on any kind of rough ground, while boondocking! We also have an 87 pickup with 4 speed. 5 mph is about the absolute bottom limit without slipping the clutch. Many forest service cg's and back roads are gravel and sometimes pretty rough. That lower speed with the automatic is a big plus!

Neither of us are large, so the closet bathroom/shower is tight, but very handy. One of the things I like best about it is when we go to town to do major shopping, there's never a problem with finding a place when "ya gotta go"! The holding tanks are on the small side, so weight and sloshing really isn't a problem. Once you've emptied them a few times, it's no big deal, pretty quick and easy.

A downside to the Sunrader, you can't sit up in bed above the cab. There's very little headroom. The person sleeping in front has an interesting time getting over the other person in the middle of the night!

One of the best alternate showers is a brand new (don't want one with who know what in it), pump up insect sprayer, the kind that uses a 1-2 gallon bottle and has a spray head on a flexible tube. Fill with hot water and you can spray yourself anywhere and it's very frugal with water.

Steve

I don’t think there any Yota's out there that have good headroom up above the cab. I know I can’t sit up fully in my Dolphin either. i also love the fact, that if wanting to head out to the store, or anywhere for that matter. I can park freely in most parking spaces when not pulling a trailer and the Harley that is.

As for Auto vs. Manual, I wouldn’t trade my 4 speed for anything except maybe a 5 speed manual. I have never encountered any clutch slipping at any speed, although I have a new one and pressure plate. I can see in tight and steep conditions, having to feather the clutch and brake could bring a bit of skill and sweat, but I truly don't use mine that way, as I know many do. Thanks for the inputs, ideas, and sharing! Happy travels!

I didn't mean the clutch slipped, I meant having to slip the clutch to go slow enough over rough ground like potholes in forest service campgrounds and water bars on roads. It's almost impossible to creep with a manual transmission unless you have a "granny gear", which I've never seen on a 2wd truck! You can creep along with an auto though. Even our .6 mile long gravel driveway has spots where it's hard to go slow enough with our 87 Toyota pickup w/4sp manual.

Otherwise, I'd rather have the 4 speed, but...

Steve

I didn't mean the clutch slipped, I meant having to slip the clutch to go slow enough over rough ground like potholes in forest service campgrounds and water bars on roads. It's almost impossible to creep with a manual transmission unless you have a "granny gear", which I've never seen on a 2wd truck! You can creep along with an auto though. Even our .6 mile long gravel driveway has spots where it's hard to go slow enough with our 87 Toyota pickup w/4sp manual.

Otherwise, I'd rather have the 4 speed, but...

Steve

Ah, I see what you are meaning. I guess the only problem I have with a manual is when some jerk-wad pulls inches away from my rear bumper or trailer when at a stop on a hill. They dont think about the slight rollback possible when starting on a hill with a stick shift, and all that weight. Thanks for chattin Steve!

I've read that Sunraders have less bunk headroom than most other makes. And less in the rest, too.

I think I have to agree, as they look like they have about the same entry height to the bunk as my Dolphin, but taper down quickly to a narrower point to the front. Still nice though, Sunraders are a premium standard in my view.

post-5603-0-86729300-1346116794_thumb.jp

yes it is th 173 ecm that has the stomp test.

You talking about a clutch kit for a 2.8 liter Camreo or Firebird? Or maybe a computer chip module for a Toyota? You kinda lost me there Stamar...