Starting the pilot on water heater - SIT-610 AC3

Hi all,

We bought a cheap Dolphin in rough shape that the guy told us the fridge, burners and water pump were the only thing working.

Well, since then I've either tested or fixed the oven, furnace and water heater! yeah! :)

My question is for the water heater, I got the manual for the SIG-610 AC3 online and figured out how to manually light the pilot.. it stays lit and when I switch it to ON it flames up.. good deal.

Question is, is there a way to light the pilot other than manually lighting it.

We have one of those long handle lighters so I turned to the PILOT position, pushed it in and lit it with the lighter.

I didn't see any button to spark an igniter and the manual just talks about lighting the igniter but doesn't say how.

Is there an igniter on these, or is manual the way to go?

Thanks.

Hi all,

We bought a cheap Dolphin in rough shape that the guy told us the fridge, burners and water pump were the only thing working.

Well, since then I've either tested or fixed the oven, furnace and water heater! yeah! :)

My question is for the water heater, I got the manual for the SIG-610 AC3 online and figured out how to manually light the pilot.. it stays lit and when I switch it to ON it flames up.. good deal.

Question is, is there a way to light the pilot other than manually lighting it.

We have one of those long handle lighters so I turned to the PILOT position, pushed it in and lit it with the lighter.

I didn't see any button to spark an igniter and the manual just talks about lighting the igniter but doesn't say how.

Is there an igniter on these, or is manual the way to go?

Thanks.

Those model numbers are for gas valve only. The water heater is a Suburban, probably 6 gallon so sw6p. Some of the newer ones have electronic ignition but the older ones you just have to light. Might be some with a pezio but I haven't seen them. Be sure to change the annode rod and check the release valve for leaks after it heats up. Sometime they don't leak until then but all parts are still available. I know you bought a major fixer but your appliances work and replacing them can cost a ton.

Linda S

Thanks Linda.

I know.. I feel so lucky that all the appliances work.

We bought for dirt cheap "knowing" they didn't work, so what a bonus that they do!

I don't mind buying parts and fixing, but replacing would probably have been more than I wanted to put into it..

My Dolphin had a propane water heater as well, and after the many years, it would not light as well. I opted to replace it with an electric instant heat unit for about 185 bucks, and it works great, even with my generator. The great thing is, that one is not limited to micro moments how much hot water one can get due to the Dolphins small sized tank, Its reasonable, takes up less space, its lighter, it only weighs about 8 pounds. If you must have propane heater, the site listed below, where I got my electric also has very reasonable instant heat models for propane. Good luck!

http://www.marey.com...sp?productID=26

Thanks Davidadro.. since my hot water heater is working, I'm going to stick with it for now.

A tankless heater is definitely something I want to look into.. but have a LOT of stuff on the list ahead of that. :)

Just a hint. If you don't use a lot of hot water, just leave the hw heater on pilot. I did this and the pilot keeps the water hot enough for washing dishes, ect. You'd be surprised how hot the pilot flame keeps it. Try it. :)

Tudy & 84 Dolphin "Cricket"