Hot floor under gas pedal

I am from California so I often drive in bare feet. I was driving home last weekend from the desert (air temp was about 100 degrees - engine temp was just a bit above half way) and I noticed that my right foot heel (on the gas pedal) was getting pretty hot. The carpet in that area is worn out a bit, so I was not too concerned, but I wondered if anyone else has noticed this and come up with a fix.

I was thinking of adding a piece of aluminum on the underside of the car to make a modified heat shield.

Or does this indicate a problem with the exhaust/or catalytic converter.

Or is it just normal operating temp and I should just put my shoes back on (I don't notice the heat with shoes on).

Cheers,

Can't say if its normal but the exhaust does run by there and my floor board can get warm on hot days. Heat is radiated, infrared so even driving at a fast clip won't heat sink the heat away on really hot days. My pipe (v6) I think is about 3 to 4 inches below the floorboard. You might be able to find a pre made heat shield from JCWhitney, one that clamps onto the exhaust. A heat shield will block the infrared. Another option, there is some wrap that you can put around the pipe, search for exhaust wrap at JCWhitney.

My transmission hump gets warm, I would say its normal as that engine is putting out a lot of heat.

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

Remove the seats and carpet. Get a roll of refeletix from Lowe's. Install 1 layer over the entire cab floor. Install a second layer over the tranny tunnel and drivers floor. Reinstall carpet and seats.

It will be quieter and cooler.

P.S. Isn't driving in bare feet illegal in CA?

Remove the seats and carpet. Get a roll of refeletix from Lowe's. Install 1 layer over the entire cab floor. Install a second layer over the tranny tunnel and drivers floor. Reinstall carpet and seats.

It will be quieter and cooler.

P.S. Isn't driving in bare feet illegal in CA?

No not illegal. Just a myth. Good advice from you though. Easiest way to cool the floor off.

Linda S

another option is to get insulated exhaust pipe wrap and wrap the pipes under the cab.

This is standard in cars like a mazda miata where there is no room for heat shields

and I have seen it on a number of motorcycle exhaust pipes lately.

Dennis...

Wrapping an exhaust pipe works for heat reduction, but it kills the lifespan.

I noticed this also, on way to rally last fall (was only 2nd time I had driven it very far), had a throw rug folded over the hump between seats & my small dog likes to sit there next to me, when we stopped a few hours later noticed rug & hump was really hot, we moved rug & pup, still seemed warm at times but not nearly as hot as at first. Wondered what ran under there, or if it was from a small manifold leak mechanic could hear before engine warmed up but told me could wait until returned from trip as it was sealing itself when engine warmed up & with the solid fire wall we didn't have to worry about any fumes coming into coach. So if trans runs under hump it was probably just that?, Should it get that hot? Should I have something checked???

These engines are working very hard and putting out a lot of waste heat, this is normal.

JOhn Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

All great ideas! I would maybe have your catalic converter checked as well to see if it is possibly leaking some exhaust and directing it toward the floors. It doesnt take much from the CC, as it is super hot when it converts your exhaust gas. Another possibility is that maybe it is starting to get plugged up, as over time they can fill with deposits restricting the flow of exhaust gas, thus going through it slower, and generating a lot of excess heat. It can also effect your engine performance, sluggishness and stalling due to the extra back pressure it can create. Just some thoughts! Be well all, and PEACE!

Thanks for all the input. The dolphin is in the shop getting a/c worked on. When it comes out of the shop next week I will do something. Its nice to know my vehicle isn't going to catch on fire.

If it doesn't look like too much work, I will try the relectix under the carpet - otherwise I might just get some cheap floormats for both driver and passenger sides and glue some aluminum foil on the bottom.

Cheers