Not sure where to post this but sorry if its in the wrong section.

Well the start of the story is that i been looking into buying a rv recently but my family has 2 toy pickups. One is as a backup which is the one used for this project :)

A little background on the design. I wanted to convert to a dually but cant locate the parts needed. I use some metal scrap and mostly new square tubing for the upright frame. The truck will need to be use for work when not on vacation traveling so i am building it off a flatbed/steak bed design. Also i designed it to be able to mount on a newer tacoma double cab w/ long bed for future vehicle choice. The upright structure slips into 2" receiver tubing and will be bolted down.

Here are some pics for now and more to come as I make more progress

RV002.jpg

Untitled.jpg

Untitled-1.jpg

RV003.jpg

What I have for the rv:

Honda eu2000i

Eccotemp l5 water heater

shurflo water pump

thetford porta pottie

airlift airbag suspension

add tranny cooler and new radiator

all maintenance are taken care of

new fuel pump since the truck bed is off

Construction

steel tubing as i do not have a tig welder capable of welding aluminum

aluminum sheeting for exterior walls secured by VHB tape

2x8 for the floor deck

Styrofoam 1.5" sheeting for insulation

no windows to keep cost/weight down

homemade shower pan

I am planning to do a ~4k miles trip in less then a month form Los Angeles, Yellowstone, Mount Rushmore and lots of in between for 2 weeks. My biggest question is there anything you toy owners think i should add or can't live without?

• 2 weeks later...

My luckiest find yesterday!

RV003-1.jpg

A dually rear end. it just too bad that the motorhome is not as wide as the dually setup. the wheels will stick out 3" on each side. My uncle and I went to pull it off 1 hour ago. It has 130k miles off a utility bed truck. Just need new tires.

Also here is a update on my status w/ the rv making. I am sick so i stop working on it for a couple of days now.

Untitled-3.jpg

Untitled-2.jpg

don't mind the interior since i used the truck to haul the rear end home. I'm just glade i didn't paint the 2x8 wood yet

RV005.jpg

RV004.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Do anyone know where i would be able to obtain the speed sensor to correct my MPH speedo? I converted the truck and it is off roughly about 10 miles so 50 mph reading = 40 mph.

Also i would like to extend my pickup wheelbase. I know there were motor-homes that were extended. Anyone know where i can source some pictures?

Didn't have time to update my process before i made my trip. It is still not complete yet. I want to make the basement compartment to store stuff and i need to finish off the cabinets inside before my next trip.

Started in Los Angeles

Las Vegas

Zion National Park

Bryce National Park

Capitol Reef National Park

Salt Lake City

Grand Teton National Park

Yellow Stone National Park

Rapid City

Mt. Rushmore

Crazy Horse

Badlands National Park

Denver

Arches National Park

Las Vegas Again

Back Home

Drove about 4k miles

below are some pictures of my rig at a couple of campsite.

DSC_0035-1.jpg

DSC_0006.jpg

DSC_0110.jpg

DSC_0111.jpg

• 2 months later...

Impressive work! did you ever try to weight the RV? does not look like much and what are you getting for MPG?

You are truly a metalsmith! Pretty darn impressive work and your frame will no doubt last till the next millennium! Keep us posted on your continued progress. Maybe attach some custom made side flares to the rail just above your rear tires to cover the width of the dual rears. I'm not 100% sure, but I believe some states do have a requirement for unprotected tire protrusion. You have an awesome custom build!

• 3 weeks later...

Impressive work! did you ever try to weight the RV? does not look like much and what are you getting for MPG?

The rv weights 4800 lbs loaded with one passenger. Went to sell some metal before my trip at a local metal scrapyard and got the weight. The truck got roughly 18 mpg which i think is great for a 280,000 miles on the 22re beast.

You are truly a metalsmith! Pretty darn impressive work and your frame will no doubt last till the next millennium! Keep us posted on your continued progress. Maybe attach some custom made side flares to the rail just above your rear tires to cover the width of the dual rears. I'm not 100% sure, but I believe some states do have a requirement for unprotected tire protrusion. You have an awesome custom build!

Thanks, I'm planning to build boxes to place under the bed before my next trip but its wont be for awhile. Currently the box is being used as my shed :(

hey sorry missed your thread. That looks like a lot of fun! Are you using this primarily as a work truck? Just wondering why no windows?

I could use some boxes for under my truck as well. fun stuff.

The truck currently sitting with the regular truck bed for my side jobs. I plan to make another flat bed to accommodate the dually rear end. I just got too many projects up my sleeves so it will be awhile till i get to it :help: .

I had only 6 full weeks to finish the camper project for the trip plus upgrade/service the truck. Gotta thank my uncle for his help after we got off work 5pm till 11ish at night for the 6 weeks. If it wasn't for his help I wouldn't meet my deadline and will have to cancel the trip due to campsite reservations. I would love to have window but since it was a last minute vacation I used what i was able to source. Eventually it will have windows. Who knows i might keep the current one as a shed and make a new one on an extended chassis

For those who might be interested i spent roughly 1,000 in materials to build this camper for how it looks now. Not bad but i also got away with a 1/8" aluminum sheet and 1.5"x3" c-channels for free.

Ah so the shell comes off the camper. For some reason it looked like the shell's frame was permanently tied into the frame. That's smart.

I really enjoy homebuilt campers and have a lot of respect for you.

@building a 2nd shell:

Well your 2nd go around will be alot easier to be sure. I like the overall shape, but it prob could use a little "styling". Maybe the overhead cab area could use some different lines as it is a tad boxy up there. All of this is just aesthetics. Tho more angles up front would prob cut through the wind a little easier?

Have you seen the supercamper? Might get some ideas for an improved shell shape from their rig:

Also, they only have 3 windows and that seems plenty.

camperbacklean2.JPG

Thanks bajadulce!

Great find on the link with the supercamper. The camper box will be revised for sure. Just have to save up for my house purchase at the moment.

I plan to build a v6 Tacoma crew cab but just extend the frame. The bed length is lousy for that model and only want to used this model since the dually rearend will bolt right up. Just got to convert to 4x4 which is a plus. Plan b is to extend the wheelbase on the truck i have currently and do the 2jz swap. Only time will tell and my dream is too far in reach haha.

• 11 months later...

Its been quite sometime since i have gave my camper attention. My girlfriend and I are planing another trip for next summer to the NW. I have used the camper here and there for short trips and mainly as a shed until recently. Its back on the truck and its time for me to address the bugs before my next big trip. I will update this thread when i start my carpentry work and under mount storage space. I am building the kitchen cabinet for my uncle and there is a messed up wall mount section that i can use for my camper. Its gonna be a slow process but I'm glad i got more time this round

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Can't believe its been over a year since I put the project on hold. It's time for me to jump start it again and I have some questions for those of you that own a 4x4 with the dually full floating axle.

How did you or the previous owner manage to keep your e-brake system as the 2wd system is different? Any pictures will be appreciated. I have read about guys doing a 2wd --> 4wd with pickup trucks just using a 4wd axle to keep the e-brake but I want to keep the full floater. I will be converting it to a single wheel instead of using duallys.

i have finally picked up a w56 transmission and ordered a marlin crawler adapter to have two transfer cases

20141226_151008.jpg

all I need left is

manual pedal assemble since my truck is an auto

clutch/flywheel

clutch master/slave

piece together a solid axle swap kit to keep the budget down

custom front/rear driveline

I will be able to achieve the same track width by using

front wheels 16x8 with 2.5bs

custom rear wheels from Stockton wheel 16x8 with 5.5bs

as far as spare tire goes I will just have to bring along a plug kit and I have a no-mar bar I can use to swap out a loose tire aboard

stay tuned

• 2 months later...

I got my custom wheels from stockton wheels finally!

I went with 15x8 instead of 16" rims. front 2.5" b.s. rear 5" b.s

20150309_175846.jpg

I believe I have sourced all my parts needed for the 4x2 to 4x4 conversion except front leaf springs and find metal for the front spring hanger. I'm still waiting for my 23 spine input shaft from marlin crawler. hopefully it will come soon to swap in the tranny and send out my order for the rear driveshaft.

Anyone with pics of a 4x4 ebrake setup for the ff rear end?

Anyone with pics of a 4x4 ebrake setup for the ff rear end?

I put a FF into an 85 and a 78. Both 2WD, but the E-brake cable ends on the FF rear were the same as the trucks had with the original semi-floating rear. So hook-up was easy.

The tape is holding up well. I run the tape along the length of the aluminum to aluminum joints as well. As for corners I haven't attached a 1x1 angle yet but that will come. It's just silicon for now. The tape is stronger then rivets and it has been on fwy with plenty of cross wind.

The ff was designed for 2wd And the ebreak lever is attached to the transmission mount that us welded to the frame.

4wd it is along the frame rail. I hope to find a pic of a 4wd with a ff ebreak setup. If not I will have to figure something out.

• 2 months later...

A little update

Our primary pickup engine/transmission almost is at the end of its life and needs a rebuilt. therefore my 4x4 project will take even longer.

I am going to yank the blue truck drivetrain and install it in this white truck. everything is good in it

I will then rebuilt a 3xx,xxx as the odometer broke, original never rebuilt before head/block out of the white pickup for the blue truck.

White truck engine just get steady oil changes and timing chain PM (this will be my first 22re rebuild)

yanked the engine yesterday

cbcb9e34-e15a-4e81-83ee-10b50f5b3e7d.jpg

W56 mockup just to see if i got the right flywheel and see how she looks

20150511_100110.jpg

Started stripping the engine today and put it on the engine stand

20150511_123902.jpg

gotta have the proper tools to build the engine to factory specs of course there is more to what is pictured

20150511_160653.jpg

here i am inspecting if the bore is still a circle. it is slightly oval so its time to go .5mm over and get decked

20150511_162924.jpg

Parts will need to be ordered. some will be from engnbldr, others will be from 22reperformance, and locally

that's all for now. I cant wait to get a reliable rig for another 200k easily. Hope everyone rig is running smoothly

Edited by Boy

• 2 years later...

Wow its been more then two years since i posted.

I purchased a 2015 dclb tacama 4x4 and ended up selling all my 4x4 conversion stuff and used the blue truck as the work truck now.

Well the camper is still used as a shed and will most likely be turned into a paint booth as I don't think there will be a market for it. 

Stumble upon a very neat Maranda V165 shell, so this will be my new temporary camper aka cheap sunrader. I still want to built another camper for the tacoma since the layout will have more space so stay tune for that in a couple of years.

20170423_190209.jpg

20170423_190235.jpg