Adding air conditioning?

Hi all.

I have an old Dolphin with no air conditioning. I want something that I can use both in the cab and in the back. I'm a cheapskate and a tinkerer.

I know about the cooler full of ice with a fan but that's not what I'm after. Out here the air is VERY humid and I need to keep the air dry or the windows fog up like a b*tch. I usually run the AC with the heat all winter in the Explorer or else I'm fogging up and driving blind. Plus, Ice is hard to come by when you're out in the sticks.

I'm thinking a portable house AC running on a generator/inverter that I can vent the hot air out a window and the cold air ducted to the cab or the back. Plus I can use it in the house when not on the road.

Any ideas?

The factory truck A/C is about 36,000 btu (typical automotive A/C is about 3 tons)

I would say to keep just the coach cool while traveling you would need one of the 13,000 btu roof units and an onan generator to run it. You need less than half of that if your not moving. I don't believe running just the roof unit will cool the truck while traveling.

I've had my entire truck A/C unit removed to install new o-rings, new evap valve, new compressor and dryer. Retrofitting my 88 would be very easy. Find a donor truck in the junk yard and pull the entire system..

Adding a window unit to the Dolphin is also easy, see this thread

Howto install Window A/C

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

The factory truck A/C is about 36,000 btu (typical automotive A/C is about 3 tons)

I would say to keep just the coach cool while traveling you would need one of the 13,000 btu roof units and an onan generator to run it. You need less than half of that if your not moving. I don't believe running just the roof unit will cool the truck while traveling.

Howto install Window A/C

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

Thanks for replying!

What I'm thinking of is a window A/C unit with clothes dryer hose blowing the cold air on me while driving, not cooling off the entire coach. Then, when parked moving the dryer hose to where I'm sitting. The hot air will be vented out the window. Ideally I'd like to make the thing "portable" by putting some caster wheels on it.

Google portable A/C units, I think Linda uses one of these for her coach when she's stopped.

You may even think about a window A/C unit similar to how I installed mine, but maybe a larger unit with some ductwork to move air to the driver seat.

You'll also want to look at a generator, I would say at least 2000 - 2500 watts minimum .. You might be able to run a small A/C unit off an inverter, (I have a small 5000 btu unit that might be able to run off my 1600 watt inverter) but now the power problem becomes that of being able to get a continuous 50 - 70 amps at 12 volts (my standard truck alternator is 55 amps)

A standard roof A/C is 13,000 btu, if you went this route, you want to install a hard start capacitor in it so the 2500 watt generator will run it.

Looks like you have a lot of different options.

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

Where is out here.Knowing your location and average summer temp and humidity can give us a better idea of what your dealing with. If it's just the dampness and not super high heat a dehumidifier could take cae of much of the problem with a low wattage unit.. This one could be run easily with an inverter when driving and a small gen set when parked

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SOLEUS-25-PINT-DEHUMIDIFIER-w-HUMISTAT-SG-DEH-25-4-NEW-w-WARRANTY-/350536067826?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item519d93eaf2

Check the other listings too. Could probably go to a slightly bigger one and still work with those systems.

Linda S

Hi all.

I have an old Dolphin with no air conditioning. I want something that I can use both in the cab and in the back. I'm a cheapskate and a tinkerer.

I know about the cooler full of ice with a fan but that's not what I'm after. Out here the air is VERY humid and I need to keep the air dry or the windows fog up like a b*tch. I usually run the AC with the heat all winter in the Explorer or else I'm fogging up and driving blind. Plus, Ice is hard to come by when you're out in the sticks.

I'm thinking a portable house AC running on a generator/inverter that I can vent the hot air out a window and the cold air ducted to the cab or the back. Plus I can use it in the house when not on the road.

Any ideas?

Where is out here.Knowing your location and average summer temp and humidity can give us a better idea of what your dealing with. If it's just the dampness and not super high heat a dehumidifier could take cae of much of the problem with a low wattage unit.. This one could be run easily with an inverter when driving and a small gen set when parked

http://www.ebay.com/...=item519d93eaf2

Check the other listings too. Could probably go to a slightly bigger one and still work with those systems.

Linda S

I'm in Western Washington, Drizzle Central, not too much heat. A de-humidifier is a good idea, hadn't thought of that...thanks!

• 5 years later...

I think the guy is just advertising his website. It says they make commission on purchases made through their links. Unfortunately his site is not well done and no links are there. Any more attempted ads from him will be deleted. Really? since when is a Dometic Brisk air portable. Only in the sense that the RV can be moved.

Linda S