Check valve at water heater ?

My water pump pamphlet diagram shows a Check Valve connected to incoming cold water line near where it goes into the water heater, but there wasn't one on it when I took the old pipes off the water heater they just had those about 3" long straight plastic connectors that are just to stabilize the connection. Is it necessary to have it at the water heater if you have a check valve on your water hose connection to the incoming city water hookup port? Plumbing requirements in pump booklet just state "Main lines must be 1/2" in diameter & any check valves used in system must be a free flow design. " Also states "Use a Shur-flo In-Line Filter or a Shur-flo Twist-on Filter", but doesn't show these in the diagram anywhere, are the filters just optional?

Sorry so many questions but want to finish water lines this weekend & don't want to screw up water heater if it isn't already (found out from 3rd party prev owner hadn't winterized anything, he inherited from parents 3 yrs before I bought it & didn't like it so just let it sit). So who knows when last winterized before I did it.

Thanks for all your help!

TerrieO

ibought a new pump the warenty states install the filter 20 dollors extra or no warenty is void screws on the intake sideof pump very fine screen pump cost 100 dollors very good thing to have

You have two check valves on your system one you can see if you look at the fitting where the city water hooks up it's a small spring and a little valve under it. The other one is inside of your water pump. Here's how it all works when the pump is running the city water fitting is blocked so the water can't run out of it on to the ground. With the city water hooked up the valve inside of the pump stops the water from filling your fresh water tank and having it run out the fill port. There are inline filters that stop junk, sand etc. but not biologicals that requires some pretty fancy filtering (expensive). I'm not sure that any one put an inline one on when they were built but it's an easy install. The water heater does not require one unless there is a heater bypass system for freeze protection installed some systems used a check valve and one valve some used two valves. What I would do because you have no ideal how they hooked every thing up would be to open the safety valve at the hot water tank turn on the pump or hook up a hose and see if water comes out of the safety valve first before you light the heater. If you don't get any water there is a bypass system installed and you'll need to open the valves behind the water heater.

Some systems have a check valve in the hot out from the heater. What it does is prevent the splash of cold water you get when your are using the shower and you stop the flow at the shower head for a bit.

Thanks guys, may be back for more info, didn't check it yet as got side tracked making a mold of the rear skirt pc I'm missing, think it will work, will upload pictures under the fix-up section if Bryan thinks will work. terrieo