Outside Rear Lighting

Wiring help for dummies needed. I have a 1988 Toyota 18' Sunrader. My left turn signal began flashing very quickly and upon further investigation I discovered problems with the right rear signal/brake light and back-up light. Upon removing the lens covers I discovered that on the right rear middle light the upper metal contact was broken off and there appeared to be a screw (put in from the inside) missing that holds the upper contact in place. I tried temporarily taping this back in place but still had trouble. I then tried accessing it from the inside. There is a black wire that goes to the middle light that is not attached. Due to the limited space I cannot see where or how it attaches. Any suggestions as to how to solve this problem would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Sounds like you're missing the ground wire. Can you post a picture? It SOUNDS like that contact/tab is the ground (verify it connects to the outer shell of the bulb) and the black wire is your ground, which can be verified by continuity test with one lead on that wire and the other on a known ground, they should be common together.

Missing/loose grounds make lights do squirrley things.

Thanks for the reply. Can you explain how I do the the continuity test? Unfortunately my work schedule is not going to allow me to get back to this for a couple weeks. When I do I will take some pictures and follow-up. Thanks again.

Any multi meter can do it, set it for ohms. One lead to a good ground, the other to that wire. The meter should show infinite when not attached, somewhere close to 0 when attached. I would do it with every light on, including reverse and brake. Start with a voltage test, to make sure the wire isn't hot, then switch to ohms.

• 3 months later...

Just something to do with your taillights. I went to Wall mart and purchased a set of LED Boat trailer lights in the boat section of Walmart. I trimmed the sealed units and installed the units into the cavity where the bulbs would go normally. Then I just ran the wires to the trailer 4 wire conector. I have Led tail lights now. Now when I want to change lanes people see my blinkers in the day light. Was quite easy. I was having proplems with tail lights constantly. Now Haven't had a problem in months.

• 1 month later...

Is there any chance that you could post pics of this either here or on Yahoo Toyota Campers?

Just something to do with your taillights. I went to Wall mart and purchased a set of LED Boat trailer lights in the boat section of Walmart. I trimmed the sealed units and installed the units into the cavity where the bulbs would go normally. Then I just ran the wires to the trailer 4 wire conector. I have Led tail lights now. Now when I want to change lanes people see my blinkers in the day light. Was quite easy. I was having proplems with tail lights constantly. Now Haven't had a problem in months.