Dolphin repair, lower rear side skirt (plastic panel) behind rear wheel-anyone know of a wrecked or parted out Dolphin?

I am trying to locate this rear piece for a customer (Terreio from the forum) to repair the non- existent part (on her Dolphin or on the web) I have called all the places and to no avail. does anyone know where there is a 90 and up Dolphin that is in a salvage yard, being parted out or any leads?

I can even make a fiberglass mold for one if I could just get ahold of the part, maybe pay one of you guys to remove one ship it to me and I would make a mold and then return it unharmed to you.

worst case scenario is I have to fabricate the part but the draw back is it wont match the other side exactly, it could be made out of metal and rolled or just make a fiberglass piece that is as close as I can get to match.

the rear bumper cover is cracked as well, but we discussed making a new one altogether to store her waste tank hoses in then tie it into the side skirts and rear of the RV with diamond plate, in that case it may be advantageous to make the passenger side rear skirt to mimic the drivers side so they match if I am unable to mold an exact copy for her.

just putting feelers out there to see what I can come up with so I can give her a fair estimate on total repairs.

Check here message #2. has list of all people who bought parts from national Rv when they closed. I think Ortega is your best bet.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f105/national-rv-parts-53629.html

You could also try here. In MO so not too far from you. Biggest RV slavage yard in the country I'm told

http://colawrvsalvage.com/

Linda

I am trying to locate this rear piece for a customer (Terreio from the forum) to repair the non- existent part (on her Dolphin or on the web) I have called all the places and to no avail. does anyone know where there is a 90 and up Dolphin that is in a salvage yard, being parted out or any leads?

I can even make a fiberglass mold for one if I could just get ahold of the part, maybe pay one of you guys to remove one ship it to me and I would make a mold and then return it unharmed to you.

worst case scenario is I have to fabricate the part but the draw back is it wont match the other side exactly, it could be made out of metal and rolled or just make a fiberglass piece that is as close as I can get to match.

the rear bumper cover is cracked as well, but we discussed making a new one altogether to store her waste tank hoses in then tie it into the side skirts and rear of the RV with diamond plate, in that case it may be advantageous to make the passenger side rear skirt to mimic the drivers side so they match if I am unable to mold an exact copy for her.

just putting feelers out there to see what I can come up with so I can give her a fair estimate on total repairs.

I got nothing. You might try putting on ad on Craigslist for someone nearby who has one to just let you make a mold of it. Give them some money for their time. Or better yet offer your services in exchange. People are always looking to find a good Mechanic and it might make you more money and more referrals in the future

LS

I called all of them already, they no longer have Mini RV parts(any of them) at least that was what they told me on the phone.

I got nothing. You might try putting on ad on Craigslist for someone nearby who has one to just let you make a mold of it. Give them some money for their time. Or better yet offer your services in exchange. People are always looking to find a good Mechanic and it might make you more money and more referrals in the future

LS

I will try that as well, I don't see too many around- Terrio was the first later model Dolphin I had seen around and she is an hour away from me!!

if anyone on the board would want to make some money and is maybe repairing theirs or is in a position to remove it for a couple weeks I would compensate them as well-

I am not trying to make money off of molding just one but at least then I would have some glass molds to make for future dolphin repairs for anyone, that's where paying someone to lend me theirs would be an investment in the long run.

I will most likely mold her passenger side to have one for the future, a mold takes up little space.

Have no idea if this would work but could you make a latex mold of the other side and flip it

http://www.aeromarineproducts.com/latex-mold-rubber.htm?gclid=CKvhhqzn6a8CFQyDhwod62Gr3w

LS

I will try that as well, I don't see too many around- Terrio was the first later model dolphin I had seen around and she is an hour away from me!!

if anyone on the board would want to make some money and is maybe repairing theirs or is in a position to remove it for a couple weeks I would compensate them as well-

I am not trying to make money off of molding just one but at least then I would have some glass molds to make for future dolphin repairs for anyone, that's where paying someone to lend me theirs would be an investment in the long run.

I will most likely mold her passenger side to have one for the future, a mold takes up little space.

it wouldn't work like that, the trim is side specific and you can't just flip the mold to make the opposite side, it seems like you could do something like that but it needs to be of the one you are molding - I have thought long and hard on how to copy the other side to no avail.

I'd offer up my corner pieces but shipping across the border would be a PITA & expensive.

Do you think you've be able to mold them with the right texture? My only experience with plugs/molds have been smooth (kayaks).

I believe I can get the texture to be there-all it takes is a small speck of dust and its sure to show up and ruin my mold, so the texture shouldn't be a problem at all.

my most recent glass part was the scooped hood for 89-95 trucks and 4runners- I had to cast it 2 x due to dust contamination, I wasnt about to have to hand sand everyone I make.

I am not in a hurry to find one to mold so I have time to source one- she needs other work as well and that part can wait- I am fabbing up a rear bumper for her to hold her hose and will be tying it into the side pieces, one end will be stationary and the other will be hinged (I learned the hard way that caps dont stay on very long!)

That's why you attach the cap to the bumper with a lanyard. :ThumbUp:

I know, right?! mine fell of shortly after purchasing, and I figured "hey, they have been on there for almost 30 years- they aren't going to ever fall off!! Needless to say - I was wrong

I am only making Terry's bumper with attached caps to help it flow with the plastic panel lines, they wont be square - the cap itself will be but the cover will be made to contour with the panel then be attached to the cap will will be hinged or a some type of clean/easy retaining system.

MAX i dont know if this could help or not this is the address and number of a toyota only yard in wa state been around for a while.410 auto wreaking all toyota only 27865 state route 410 east BUCKLEY WASHINGTON983211 phone 1800 829 9766 or 9760. they ship anywhere.

I don't know how you plan to make a mold to make a new one but Derek said he has one. He is a retired engineer so he has some skills and maybe you guys could get together and figure out how he could make a mold for you. Yes Derek you are welcome for me volunteering you for stuff. Don't mention it. Can't imagine a simple mold not being able to be sent to the US. Besides he goes to the US often I think and could just smuggle it in. LOL

Linda

do they have Toyota RVs? It would be next to impossible to get a salvage yard to unbolt a part like that if it wasn't destroyed by them while bringing it in.

i dont know if they do right now but they have had i can call that is a free 18 oo number they do all things toyota onlynot just cars. they have two toyota moterhomes but they are too old

I don't know how you plan to make a mold to make a new one but Derek said he has one. He is a retired engineer so he has some skills and maybe you guys could get together and figure out how he could make a mold for you. Yes Derek you are welcome for me volunteering you for stuff. Don't mention it. Can't imagine a simple mold not being able to be sent to the US. Besides he goes to the US often I think and could just smuggle it in. LOL

Linda

I won't ask how he is going to smuggle something that big!! :lips-sealed: lmao

Would love it if you could give me a simple run down of how you would make a mold for this. Have some parts on my Sunrader I would like to duplicate.

Linda

I wont ask how he is going to smuggle something that big!! :lips-sealed: lmao

cool links.

I guess I am old school- I have 5 books on fiberglass molds, plugs and bucks- composites and uses- fiberglass structure/bodys- how to mold anything from fiberglass and cosmetic gelcoat and fiberglass repair. easier to reference when my hands are all sticky/dirty instead of muckin up my keyboard

You are too funny John. Just spent a few minutes flying my cursor around your site. It becomes an airplane guys. Yes I can fiberglass. I have done it before. Maybe not with the best results but useable. it was the concept of a mold that I needed to know cause I don't want to destroy my original part. The videos were good Derek. Got a good idea of what I need to do. Or not do. Afraid I will damage my wheel skirts just trying to get them off to make the mold. Hey Brian. Are you interested in making wheel skirts? So many people need them.

Linda

Fiberglass is so EZ, even I can do it.:

I built an entire plane out of fiberglass. Here's a section on building the nose section:

http://iflyez.com/Lo...otos_Nose.shtml

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

You are too funny John. Just spent a few minutes flying my cursor around your site. It becomes an airplane guys. Yes I can fiberglass. I have done it before. Maybe not with the best results but useable. it was the concept of a mold that I needed to know cause I don't want to destroy my original part. The videos were good Derek. Got a good idea of what I need to do. Or not do. Afraid I will damage my wheel skirts just trying to get them off to make the mold. Hey Brian. Are you interested in making wheel skirts? So many people need them.

Linda

Yes Linda I have considered it, I will be taking mine off when I do my paint work - then I will make a mold of them. They would be simple to mold being the shape they are - are there other variations of the Sunrader wheel openings or only 1?

I believe they are all the same with the only difference depending on floor plan. Some models have a hole for the fuel filler in the skirt on that side. My shorties do and some of the bigger rear dinettes too. No big deal to cut a hole.

Linda

yes Linda I have considered it, I will be taking mine off when I do my paint work - then I will make a mold of them. They would be simple to mold being the shape they are - are there other variations of the Sunrader wheel openings or only 1?

I believe they are all the same with the only difference depending on floor plan. Some models have a hole for the fuel filler in the skirt on that side. My shorties do and some of the bigger rear dinettes too. No big deal to cut a hole.

Linda

That wouldn't be a problem, I can mold both sides and wait until someone can loan me one with a hole in it to mold it and then have all the bases covered.

That wouldn't be a problem, I can mold both sides and wait until someone can loan me one with a hole in it to mold it and then have all the bases covered.

Bryan, I found the cap to the awning (along with a big round thing with 2 bolt holes in it & Toyota symbol on it, think was off spare tire holder) in under seat storage near door, tire place must have put them there as they weren't there when left on trip as I had cleaned that out & stored other stuff in there before trip. Also sent you a direct e-mail earlier this week on another broken thing found in rear, please advise if you didn't rec it & I'll resend. Also, if I anchor that piece of plastic siding down good that I had put on to protect holding tanks for winter & tighten any loose braces is it OK to go ahead & take this out on the road? Need to use it and find any other bugs I need to work on before rally trip in July.