New Guy with an old Toy

Ssdyle

Hey, there's a damn forum for everything. Just getting this Rv tomorrow. Drove it around ,everything seems tight, no water damage. Everything seems to work except the heater. It has a sexy baby blue and pink interior but after looking around the forum I gots me all kind of ideas. The guy wants four k for it is that a good price? The wife kinda rolled her eyes at me when I showed it to her but now I think she's getting kinda stoked.Thanks, Sonny

1335746567' post='28119']

sounds like very good deal.Does that have a v-6? this forum is priceless!

Yes six banger. You just don't see many of them around and I was afraid the reasons were bad.

Without a lot of detail, 4k sounds like a good deal.

4k doesn't leave a lot of room for negotiation unless there is a major problem.

Engine and drivetrain are standard Toyota. I believe there was a recall on cylinder head gasket for the V6.

Take a look at the dates on the tires, if they are over 6-7 year sold, plan on replacing them, regardless of tread. (make sure they are Light truck tires, not passenger car tires

Look inside all the cabinets for signs of mushy walls near the ceilings and around the windows. Pay particular attention to the cab over

Furnace, frig, stove, all should operate off propane.

Some paint a patience will take care of the interior.

NOTE - I think Wife's are like that, When I started looking around for one, my wife would give me that look like "What the hell are you getting us into now". But after she got into it, fixing, painting, curtains, etc,, she now tells all her friend about this cute little "ToyHouse" we have, and we took a month off work and drove it all the way to Alaska and back.

Good luck

John Mc

88 DOlphin 4 Auto

Pick. It up tomorrow. First thing is I think dealing with a leaking propane valve..things that go boom take precedence over things that look bad. Interested in towing, has a hitch already installed, just need to pull the 4 wheeler. After reading all the post about pulling something I think I will be ok pulling about one k in weight . Is ther any way to increase the water capacity? We are used to spending about 5 days with just 45 gallons of water , but it seems we will be limited to about 12. And most of our camping is boon docking.Looking forward to the many Mods I can do on this thing. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.Sonny

Sonny,

I usually boondock as well and, as far as the extra water goes, I've taken to carrying one gallon milk jugs full of water. The reason for that is the jugs can be stored all over the place unlike five gallon containers which are limited to the places they'll fit. Sounds like you got a good deal.

John

two other things the 6 need, i have a 6 also, is timing belt and valve adjust. under the hood i found a sticker giving the mileage when the belt was changed and luckily found a bill for when the valves were done. after lots of discussion and research i'm convinced the engine is a non-interference type engine so timing belt will leave you high and dry, but not destroy the engine, that's a good thing :o). as far as longevity of the belt and intervals for the valves there is lots of info on this and other sites. do get that propane valve problem solved.

one thing i did was change the shocks, it still had the originals and were totally worn out, absolutely no resistance. it really made a big difference on handling and comfort. as you will and have seen on this site there are lots of things that can be done to make our toys closer to new, safer and more comfortable. have fun.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello - My husband and I are seriously considering purchasing a used Toyota RV. We have two we are considering and we wanted to know if one seems like a better deal than the other. Unfortunately I don't have a ton of info but here goes.... The '86 Dolphin is within driving distance, where as the '91 Odyssey we would have to fly to get it home. Thank you in advance for any helpful input.

1986 Toyota Dolphin

Only 63,xxx miles!

Electric/propane refrigerator/stove and A/C!

Shower, toilet, closet, even a kitchen sink!

Sleeping area for 3 or 4!

4 cylinder 22R

22' long, 12.5' high

Clean, neat and ready to go! EXTERIOR NEEDS SOME MINOR REPAIRS (hey, this baby is 26 years old, after all) but the interior still looks good.

State inspected and ready to go for your next outing. We're asking $4,000 NEGOTIABLE.

They are thinking of reducing this unit to $3800.00

5V65Fa5H43G73Je3Hec4sdebdf6bd32ef1b5c.jpg

5Lc5E45M93Mc3J43Hdc4sd78f9689a891164c.jpg

OR...

1991 Toyota Odyssey Motorhome = $7,400.00

V6 Fuel injected engine, 71663 miles, runs great, 3 speed auto transmission with cruise control, air conditioning in the cab with air conditioning/heater in motorhome (roof mounted), stove with oven, shower, toilet, water heater, ice box. Built in Onan Generator with romote start inside, runs off main fuel tank so no need to carry extra tanks. This motorhome has generator, propane, and 12 volt power system as well as standard plug ins. New carpet in cab and new tile in motorhome. With gas prices soring, this nice, clean, compfy rv is the way to travel this summer. FOUR BRAND NEW TIRES ON REAR WITH NEW SPARE AND TWO VERY GOOD TIRES ON FRONT AS WELL AS FULL TANK OF FUEL

$(KGrHqVHJBEE9prF2DpMBPjGRMkGFw~~60_12.JPG

$(KGrHqRHJCoE9rehwC7sBPjGDWzyJw~~60_12.JPG

Edited by dogmom

A big no on the Odyssey. It has been completely rebuilt at some time and you have no way of knowing if they did a good job. That is not Odyssey siding. It's smooth, the odyssey's had corrugated looking siding. It's been on ebay and hasn't sold there either. The fridge is a dorm style fridge that needs 110 volt to work. Could be any number of things wrong with it. Could have been rebuilt because a major accident. The Dolphin looks very nice and clean and that is a very good price for it. It's close so you have the opportunity t have a mechanic look at it and make sure everything is good. I vote Dolphin

Linda S

Hello - My husband and I are seriously considering purchasing a used Toyota RV. We have two we are considering and we wanted to know if one seems like a better deal than the other. Unfortunately I don't have a ton of info but here goes.... The '86 Dolphin is within driving distance, where as the '91 Odyssey we would have to fly to get it home. Thank you in advance for any helpful input.

1986 Toyota Dolphin

• Only 63,xxx miles!

• Electric/propane refrigerator/stove and A/C!

• Shower, toilet, closet, even a kitchen sink!

• Sleeping area for 3 or 4!

4 cylinder 22R

22' long, 12.5' high

Clean, neat and ready to go! EXTERIOR NEEDS SOME MINOR REPAIRS (hey, this baby is 26 years old, after all) but the interior still looks good.

State inspected and ready to go for your next outing. We're asking $4,000 NEGOTIABLE.

They are thinking of reducing this unit to $3800.00

5V65Fa5H43G73Je3Hec4sdebdf6bd32ef1b5c.jpg

5Lc5E45M93Mc3J43Hdc4sd78f9689a891164c.jpg

OR...

1991 Toyota Odyssey Motorhome = $7,400.00

V6 Fuel injected engine, 71663 miles, runs great, 3 speed auto transmission with cruise control, air conditioning in the cab with air conditioning/heater in motorhome (roof mounted), stove with oven, shower, toilet, water heater, ice box. Built in Onan Generator with romote start inside, runs off main fuel tank so no need to carry extra tanks. This motorhome has generator, propane, and 12 volt power system as well as standard plug ins. New carpet in cab and new tile in motorhome. With gas prices soring, this nice, clean, compfy rv is the way to travel this summer. FOUR BRAND NEW TIRES ON REAR WITH NEW SPARE AND TWO VERY GOOD TIRES ON FRONT AS WELL AS FULL TANK OF FUEL

$(KGrHqVHJBEE9prF2DpMBPjGRMkGFw~~60_12.JPG

$(KGrHqRHJCoE9rehwC7sBPjGDWzyJw~~60_12.JPG

Depending on what 'EXTERIOR NEEDS SOME MINOR REPAIRS' ends up meaning, that CL 'home would be worth looking at.

http://stlouis.craigslist.org/rvs/2984717755.html

The Odyssey is newer, bigger and more powerful. But potentially more expensive to operate as well.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1991-Toyota-Odyssey-Motorhome-?cmd=ViewItem&item=320900058447

the rv door on that odyssey even looks like it has been piced together notce there is no door window. last nov we paid 7500 for our 87 dolphin 22re au tomatic that is a nice price for the one hear and the 22 re four is a much hig her regarded enguine less problems and easer cheper to service. THA add on the ODYSSEY SAYS ICEBOX THAT DOOR IS A ! 1960s ice ice box from an old slide in camper seen one in a yard last year same color look at the cond of the walls around the sink and down there could be a flood rig

too funny, I seen that 86 by my friends house for sale- it has been for sale for over 4 months just FYI, that doesnt mean it is bad or anything. it is off of a rural road in the boonies without a lot of traffic.

The midwest is notorious for close minded bone heads that think that ford chevrolet and dodge are the only things to be driving and they will actually start a fight with you because you drive a foreign car (yep, dont ask how I know- lets just say that guy proly wont EVER do that again!) so their loss is your gain, we all know better.

like everyone else said the newer one has had some serious work, kind of a crap shoot buying it. especially if you have to fly some where to pick it up.

Hi everyone - thanks for all the responses. We are pretty much going with the '86 Dolphin and may drive down to get it tomorrow. Everything about the motorhome seems to be in good shape, interior wise, we know we may have to replace some belts, plugs, shocks & have a tune up at some point. And the rear axle seems to have been taken care of (we will double check this when we actually see it). Our only main concern at this point is an issue with the exterior. Please take a look at these photos and let us know if you think this could be a major issue at some point. The overhead exterior was damaged at some point and it looks like there was a "fix" done at brackets? I was told there are no leaks (and the interior photos don't show any signs of water damage) so is this something to make or break the deal? We already know the door will need to be cosmetically needs to be repaired or replaced. Thanks! Diana

post-6253-0-25313400-1336653614_thumb.jp

post-6253-0-41637700-1336653624_thumb.jp

• 2 weeks later...

The midwest is notorious for close minded bone heads that think that ford chevrolet and dodge are the only things to be driving and they will actually start a fight with you because you drive a foreign car (yep, dont ask how I know- lets just say that guy proly wont EVER do that again.

I'm from the Midwest and those days are gone. Used to be, but, as far as I know, doesn't exist anymore. Unless, maybe in Ozark boonies or something. People might believe in buying domestic, but don't push their beliefs on others. Too many people buying imports and foreign models being built in the US, to get away with that, any more.

Tudy

84 Dolphin "Cricket"