I've finally grown tired of the scratched and dented interior of my '85 Dolphin and have started a makeover. So far this has involved changing the upper cabinet doors from side opening to overhead opening, installing plain, white ceramic knobs in place of the old handles on all the doors, making a couple of upper cabinet support brackets out of wood and 1/4" aluminum rod to replace the old, rusty wrought steel ones and painting just about every surface that stood still long enough.

I still have lots more to paint but there's enough done to ask for opinions on toning things down a bit since I may have gone a bit overboard with the light beige and tan trim. I'm also going to resurface the front of the regrigerator with some stainless steel sheet metal as well as install the same thing for a backsplash on the wall behind the stove.

John

post-2678-0-16287900-1333971101_thumb.jp

post-2678-0-51855100-1333971118_thumb.jp

post-2678-0-42214600-1333971142_thumb.jp

post-2678-0-95450400-1333971163_thumb.jp

Very nice job. Bright.

I've finally grown tired of the scratched and dented interior of my '85 Dolphin and have started a makeover. So far this has involved changing the upper cabinet doors from side opening to overhead opening, installing plain, white ceramic knobs in place of the old handles on all the doors, making a couple of upper cabinet support brackets out of wood and 1/4" aluminum rod to replace the old, rusty wrought steel ones and painting just about every surface that stood still long enough.

I still have lots more to paint but there's enough done to ask for opinions on toning things down a bit since I may have gone a bit overboard with the light beige and tan trim. I'm also going to resurface the front of the regrigerator with some stainless steel sheet metal as well as install the same thing for a backsplash on the wall behind the stove.

John

That looks great. Converting those cabinets from side to top opening is a great idea, and I like the piston thing you installed. My Coachmen has the same cabinets (almost the same configuration) and because they put such a strong latch inside to keep them closed, you have to yank super hard to open them. When I first got it, I pulled on a cabinet and pulled the hinges right out of their mounts and was left holding the cabinet door. I plan to do the same thing you did. (can you tell me the source and size of those pistons?)

Great job!

Johan

Thanks for the nice comments. Having the doors open overhead is much easier than having them open to the side. You don't even need a latch to hold the door shut since besides holding the door up, the spring also holds the door shut when the thing is installed correctly. I got the little, spring-loaded cabinet door supports at my local RV supply store. They were about $8.30 for a pair. If there's no RV store convenient to you, you can probably find them online through some of the big RV places.

Good luck.

John

I can see this will be my next project. The two over my stove already open vertically, but the others do not. Good idea.

JOhn Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

• 2 months later...

I have an 85 dolphin too.

however mine is the dolphin 300, the den model with the kitchen and bathroom in the back.

yours looks like the dolphin 500, the rear dinetter model ( I had a dolphin 500 before this one) but you removed the table and the couch am I right?

There is also the dolphin 700, which is the same as the 500 except it just has a bed in the back, and a door ( rear bedroom)

and the dolphin 600 which is the rear bath, has some sort of tub.

Ok why Im writing all of this out is

The 300 and the 600 have larger side windows, and the 500 and 700 have the huge rear window.

I want to put that big rear window in my 300. I dont care if part of it gets blocked by the stove.

how hard do you think that would be?

Stamar,

I removed the table and cushions from the U-shaped bench that runs around the table in the rear just to keep the paint drips from landing on the upholstery or the table. Everything is finished now so all the cushions are back in place as well as the table. Looks pretty good if I do say so myself. Everything is much brighter, especially when the sun is out!

I suppose the big rear window could be installed back there if you're not afraid of cutting out a big hole. You'll also have to slip some 3/4" thick wood between the inner paneling and the outer wall so that you have some framing around the window. The whole job might be more trouble than its worth, though. And expensive...

John

Nice it looks great.

Like I said, I just had one exactly like yours last week, I totally prefered the layout to my new one. Its all the same stuff basically, but the den has two chairs and a cabinet. sort of in place of one bench of the dinette.....

the dinette is next to the cab then and the couch folds mechanically to make a (smaller) bed with 2 rv lounge chairs.

larger bathroom smaller.... sink..... hmmmm im trying to think.

basicaally switches the front and the back, and thats about it, and gives a slightly different location for things.

but putting the bed next to a giant window is better than putting it by 2 medium windows to me. also, the larger sink area was nice.

the 500 and 700 have more space for the sink and burner with them being opposite. closer to natural for actual cooking, whereas the den has them next to eachother in the back far more crowded.

Now im looking at it and that is really the only functional difference, the bathroom is twice as big in the den and the stove and sink have no counter space. It has all the same things though exactly.

all the fridge, bathroom stove oven things are next to the door in both models, the den has the door in the back. and the dinnette is the same amount of space one of the advantages of the den though is it has 2 more seats with seat belts, and you can get to the bunk stepping on the chair as opposed to climbing up some peg...