Need caulk/sealant advice

The first good rain of the season and I get to find all my leaks in my 85 Dolphin!

The first leak is no problem... new weather stripping for the door.

The second larger leak, however, is the around the exhaust fan in the ceiling. I'm assuming what I need to do is remove the fan assembly, clean off the whole area really good, let the area dry out really well, set the fan back in on a large bead of sealant and then seal the rest of the area around it.

SO... the question is...

what sort of caulk stuff should I use? More than one kind? Is there a general sealant I should run over everything?

I have a Home Depot nearby so I can get anything they sell there.

Any advice?

Much appreciated!

James E

To Blingfree...

This stuff is good for inside or outside use. To smooth the goop, just spit on the end of your finger and wipe the seam lengthways. As far as cleaning the old stuff off, that depends on what was last used. If it was just old fashioned window putty, a heat gun and a putty knife sometimes works. If it is silicone type caulk, the only thing I have found is just to rub it off with your fingers. This stuff is tough !

To knowletondata...

I've never heard of vulcum. whatsitdoo.

The first good rain of the season and I get to find all my leaks in my 85 Dolphin!

The second larger leak, however, is the around the exhaust fan in the ceiling. I'm assuming what I need to do is remove the fan assembly, clean off the whole area really good, let the area dry out really well, set the fan back in on a large bead of sealant and then seal the rest of the area around it.

SO... the question is...

what sort of caulk stuff should I use? More than one kind? Is there a general sealant I should run over everything?

I have found that Lexel has given me the best service over the long run as opposed to silicone. It is a silicon based caulk/adhesive.

Lexel - Manufactures web site

It does have some draw backs. It is almost imposable to remove once put on as it is more like a glue than a caulk.

The good part is that it lasts light years longer than silicone alone.

It comes in a standard caulk tube or in a smaller squeeze tube.

When working with it make sure that you wet your fingers before you tool the bead. If you don't you will be spending the better part of an hour trying to remove it from your fingers.

I would NOT recommend using Lexel under your vent but around the outside and over the screws after you use, what I call, "trailer goop" under the vent to seal it. I am sure that this stuff has a more "technical" name but it comes in long rolls and is around 2" wide with brown coated paper between it. It is a gray sticky putty like material which never drys out and is extremely flexible so it will not crack and separate over time.

Edited by moosepucky

Moosepucky...

Lexel sounds almost like 3M 5200. As you said, next to impossible to get off. I, myself , have had no problem with silicone.But, that's why they make more than one product.

I say "next to imposable" which might scare some people. It will peal back like silicone but it adheres even after being on for over 6 years. Usually takes grabbing it and working a putty knife or 5 in 1 tool under it to get it loose. It is great for sealing pinholes in aluminum skin and around seams. I have some in places that have been on for 10 years and still are sealing. Unfortunately I had a major leak around the roof vent that I did not find for a long time and have lost the interior. Vent was sealed with putty and lexel but the roof was concaved and water sat pooled around the vent for an extended period and seeped somewhere.

I am a lexel fan. Been using it for years. Definitely never apply under anything to seal unless you don't mind some damage if you have to remove the item. I always just make a bead along the edge of something to seal. I will though apply it over screws to keep water from getting in there. The reality is what ever your sealing usually needs to stay sealed for several years if not permanently. I have used it to glue down stuff, like the antenna mount below. I did not want to make the mount permanent or screw it down making holes so I used lexel to adhere it to the roof. Each radial was also adhered down at each end with lexel. The photo is actually before it was painted and installed but will give you an idea what it is. It supports a 52 inch tall antenna and shows no signs of coming off. WD-40 and a rag will take it off the fingers.

post-1-1175385536_thumb.jpg

Lexel, huh. Going to have to check this stuff out. Where ya'all get it.RV supply ?

I get mine at the local building supply super store (you know the ones). I also use it for some home applications also.

Grab your phone book and give your local hardware and building supply stores a call. I am sure that you will find several that carry it. It is not a new or "unusual" product by any means.

It comes in white or clear

I put a link to the manufactures web site in a previous post if you want more info on the product