Installing Roof Mounted AC

I have an 86 sun-land express and want to install roof mounted ac unit. Has anyone done this before? Want to remove the center roof vent and put the ac unit there. Is the roof strong enough? Is there already wiring there? Any pointers would be great!! I already have the unit it's a duo-therm and weighs about 100lbs....Thanks

• 2 months later...

OK the roof isn't strong enough to hold very long. I bought my Toy MH used its a 1979. Its sagging and has made the roof leak before i got it. Have lots of water damage and rot. I'm repairing it best i can very fruguly! To do the job right need to beefup roof supports acrossed and length. Wiring if has power vent isn't heavy enough to carry 15 am load. I'm using 2 alum. tubing 1/8" acrossed my roof fastened to bulkheads. Then 2 more 2" sq. tubing attached to the those and a/c bolted to them. That will hold the weight until bulkheads rot away.

• 2 weeks later...

I just put a coleman polar cub on my dolphin. it was pre wired and dropped right in. took about two hours to do. the hardest part was getting it on the roof. It had placards around the opening approving the instalation. It turned out nice. they are at least 100 pounds and i would be sure the roof could hold it.

• 5 weeks later...
I just put a coleman polar cub on my dolphin.
That is the 8.3? How is the temp where you are located and how well does the coleman bring the inside down?

• 1 month later...

Just got my A/C installed today. It was prewired, but only in the sense that the wiring was there. I discovered that it was not hooked up to the electric box under the couch. Will have to do that tomorrow. Disappointing cause I wanted to see how well it worked!