2013 Toyota Chinook Newport Kootenay Edition

2013CHINOOKNEWPORTQUADCAB4x4LO2012.jpg

Starting to do research and planing.

Looking for ideas.

I already have 2 1st generation 4x4 Toyota hilux's for the quad cab.

I want this able to server 4 people for 7 days away from shore hook ups.

Thanks all!

Galvanized Knight

With this size vechical the main problem is going to be water. Black, gray and fresh.

With this size vechical the main problem is going to be water. Black, gray and fresh.

definitively an issue. This begs a of couple questions:

How much water does an adult need for 7 days for drinking, cooking, toilet and cleaning? 2 gallons per day?? so 56 gallons total

How much black waste does an adult produce in 7 days ? 1 gallon per day?? so 28 gallons total?

How much grey waste is produced per adult in a week?? does that really need to be stored if your out in the middle of nowhere "sans shore dump"

(use some biodegradable soap)

so with those figures that is approximately 84gallons of space and 840lbs of weight??

anyone got any ideas for liquid storage and adult rate of usage?

I camp in winter too so these tanks have to be freeze protected.

why not buy a late model 4 door? you will never fab up the 2nd door like the one above without hours and hours and hours of metal work, and if you arent experienced in doing metal fab (alot of it) you will hate yourself for trying to re-invent the wheel. you could buy the double cab and be on your way to mounting a camper to it in no time

My first thought was to start with a 4Runner. Or a Landcruiser!

A 4 Runner maybe a great idea. just extent the frame which will have to be done in either case.

Also, I don't think that 4 people going backpacking for a week carry along 84 gallons of water!

I totally agree, backpacking you would not need water for the toilet, shower, or sink. Likely backpacking you would acquire water as you need it during the trip. I would imagine a backpacker would use maybe .75 of a gallon per day = 5 gallons total, likely even less. The 84 gallon estimated also included black waste.

how much water do you think one would need per day in a rv?

GK

why not buy a late model 4 door? you will never fab up the 2nd door like the one above without hours and hours and hours of metal work, and if you arent experienced in doing metal fab (alot of it) you will hate yourself for trying to re-invent the wheel. you could buy the double cab and be on your way to mounting a camper to it in no time

I guess I could buy a new Tacoma quad cab, it sure would be way less work. I really like the 1st gen style and if I could import a LN46 cab from Australia I would for sure and I did look in to it. I am really struck by the style of the 1st gen 4x4 hilux. I am pretty comfortable working metal, I have some experience. It is going to be a huge task. once I get both those truck in the shop i'll get a better idea on just how huge of a jobs its going to be. It may scarce me into changing my mind. One my favorite parts of this project is that my other camper will already be done so there will be no rush.

Thanks

GK

I think this is pretty far from you but a nice price for the coach.

http://maine.craigslist.org/rvs/2915498184.html

Stll runs so it could be driven to where you are

LS

I guess I could buy a new Tacoma quad cab, it sure would be way less work. I really like the 1st gen style and if I could import a LN46 cab from Australia I would for sure and I did look in to it. I am really struck by the style of the 1st gen 4x4 hilux. I am pretty comfortable working metal, I have some experience. It is going to be a huge task. once I get both those truck in the shop i'll get a better idea on just how huge of a jobs its going to be. It may scarce me into changing my mind. One my favorite parts of this project is that my other camper will already be done so there will be no rush.

Thanks

GK

I think this is pretty far from you but a nice price for the coach.

http://maine.craigsl...2915498184.html

Stll runs so it could be driven to where you are

LS

That is the one i am looking for ! Thanks. but it is a tad too far for me to get to :( hopefully it ends up at a good home. That is a great price!

GK

Here's a west coast one for just a little more

http://reno.craigsli...2889753380.html

LS

Thanks again!

krj a forum member was kind enough to offer the sale his Newport to me. Cant wait till august to begin this beast!

GK

Are those wide enough to sleep cross-wise over the cab?

I believe they are. My original Chinook mpg/road tripper its about 5' 10 across ways and my bed is running that way. It works but its a little tight. The Newport/Omega is about a 1' wider I think.

If someone out there owns a Newport/Omega please reply with some width measurements.

Derek what do you think about that water usage question? posted earlier

GK

Hiking and an active campout, means 1 gallon a day per person, just for drinking.

Clear, sparkling creek water is NOT potable. "If a bear poops in the woods.. guess where a bear pees."

That's a really nice sketch and a fun looking truck. Are you a professional artist?

Those Newporters look like great shells too. I'd probably close up that back hatch tho and do a side slinger door for more floor plan options. Rear doors seem to limit the interior configuration a bit? Sorry to see Kevin give up on his project. Looks like he's looking to build a full size diesel truck with a hardsided slide-in camper instead from what I've read @ another forum?

Sounds like a fun project. Tho, this will be a second mini camper? If you're looking for a bigger rig for entertaining/traveling with a crowd you might invest your energy into something a little bigger. Or they (the rest of the party) can caravan in their own rig - or maybe even your other one. Tho 7 days might be bearable lol.

I'd definitely try to make this camper different than your Chinook in every way. If you took both rigs camping, one could have a support vehicle (cooking - plumbing - toilet etc) and the second vehicle could be more of a party rig for hanging out in as a group + a place for the other party to sleep. Jig-saw-puzzle-bedding-arrangements for 4 in a small rig means ppl have to do a jig and a dance every time someone has to pee. Your friends will probably rather sleep in a tent outside with their own space.

@ water:

As Terry mentioned and yourself being an outdoorsman, you know it really depends more on the environment and what you will be doing. I don't think a rig that small designed for 4 ppl however should even bother with plumbing (4 ppl + gear etc is a lot of weight already (tho Derek makes a valid point about one tank always "empty".. sorta. If you have a black/grey water tank, that means you're using valuable drinking water other than drinking OR you're refilling a separate water storage with on site creek water etc)). I can't ever recall anybody having a sink or toilet in all the years of camping @ the surf spots. Maybe that's just a different subculture bred from the hostile desert surf camping only... dunno. Aren't you gonna want comfy seating, spacious counters, and some easy to assemble sleeping arrangements rather than sewage amenities? If you're camping with access to water (even ocean water), then drinking water + a little water for cooking would seem the only concern. All cleaning can be done with what's on site.

K lol, sorry to come off sounding so opinionated. Just shooting some thoughts.

Baja's right, I'm pursuing a full size diesel and hard side camper. Free time just isn't what it used to be (what with employment and all!) and as much as I enjoy my shop time, I'd rather be out playing. I've been using a Tundra with FWC pop-up for the last year and a half. It's been OK, but frankly the whole pop-up thing I find to be a PIA. I'm also not very happy with the 13mpg I get with the camper on the truck. I'd love to finish the Newport project, but realistically it's been sitting in my shop untouched for over a year and a half now. Thought about putting it on a fullsize truck, but that just loops back to the free time issue.

I'd rather see it go to someone who will finish it, so once GK shows up with a trailer and a case of Kokanee, its his.

As far as the water thing goes, I'm with Baja. Minimize fixed sewage fixtures, s@#t responsibly in the woods (or desert), carry water in portable containers, use biodegradable soap for cleaning and have more room inside. That's just my opinion, and it's no longer my project!

In regards to backpacking (which I do for both work and pleasure), I very rarely carry more than 2 liters at a time. Then again, water is pretty easy to come by in the NW...

GK, I've got a lot of pics and measurements, once I get a chance I'll send them your way.

I hope all of you are really good friends that's a lot of people in a little box sardines come to mind. How about an off road camper I have seen a few with flipped axles for a lot of ground clearance carry water etc. in the TV.

K, is your tundra the v8 or earlier 3.4L? Popups are great if you're constantly on the go I suppose. Me, I like to park it if I can.

Hey the photochop concept of the rig looks good. If real world fabrication was only that easy! I like the rig a lot now that it has a side door. :) I forgot those shells had that neat space-age door. Wonder how much frame you'll have to extend to get that wheelbase? Nice window too.

There's a company called bimobil you might check out for some interesting ideas. Derek and I were discussing how they seem to deal exclusively with mini truck extra cabs.

That's a really nice sketch and a fun looking truck. Are you a professional artist?

No I am not. I have always done drawings though. A great way to get ideas out of your head.

Those Newporters look like great shells too.

I dont know what the people at Chinook were thinking when they came up with the Newport, Omega and Futura but I love thier lines!

Tho, this will be a second mini camper?

I will likely put my current Chinook up sale when My next project in finished. I am thinking that one day I may have a family and it would be nice for everyone to go camping.

@ water:

As Terry mentioned and yourself being an outdoorsman, you know it really depends more on the environment and what you will be doing. I don't think a rig that small designed for 4 ppl however should even bother with plumbing (4 ppl + gear etc is a lot of weight already (tho Derek makes a valid point about one tank always "empty".. sorta. If you have a black/grey water tank, that means you're using valuable drinking water other than drinking OR you're refilling a separate water storage with on site creek water etc)). I can't ever recall anybody having a sink or toilet in all the years of camping @ the surf spots. Maybe that's just a different subculture bred from the hostile desert surf camping only... dunno. Aren't you gonna want comfy seating, spacious counters, and some easy to assemble sleeping arrangements rather than sewage amenities? If you're camping with access to water (even ocean water), then drinking water + a little water for cooking would seem the only concern. All cleaning can be done with what's on site.

I think I want to try to build in the amenities. I have done quite a bit of winter camping here in the Kootenays and going out for a pee at night when its -10 C outside, sucks. This also begs the question:

How do you keep your liquid systems from freezing when subzero RVing?

I just received measurements for the Newport from krj and I am a little worried about the size, seems tighter then I first anticipated. so I am up in the air about all this water subject.

K lol, sorry to come off sounding so opinionated. Just shooting some thoughts.

Thanks, options are very much appreciated !

Then again, water is pretty easy to come by in the NW...

Definitively, not far from usable even drinkable water in our neck of the woods.

GK, I've got a lot of pics and measurements, once I get a chance I'll send them your way.

Thanks for the measurements. I've inputted them into Sketchup and I have been experimenting.

I hope all of you are really good friends that's a lot of people in a little box sardines come to mind. How about an off road camper I have seen a few with flipped axles for a lot of ground clearance carry water etc. in the TV.

It's tight but hopefully when you get there you can be enjoying the outdoors. (Just had an idear, what if the back seats of the quad cab could transform into sleeping thus saving a ton of room in the Newport??)

This is going to 4x4 for sure. Likely a 5" lift rear in the rear and 3" in the front ( like my current Chinook) . probably go with 33x10.5 or 35x12.5 for rubber. Get to those spots where RV typically don't.

Hey the photochop concept of the rig looks good. If real world fabrication was only that easy!

Thanks..Photohack . I wish fabrication was only that easy.

Wonder how much frame you'll have to extend to get that wheelbase?

I'll start with a 1st gen 4x4 longbed frame so a believe about 24"

There's a company called bimobil you might check out for some interesting ideas. Derek and I were discussing how they seem to deal exclusively with mini truck extra cabs.

That link blew my mind. Still trying to absorb all their ideas

I'd say your biggest problem is going to be outright space for four people, especially sleeping. With a quad cab, you've got precious little frame length to work with unless you extend it, and you know better than I what that's going to look like. On that note, I'm still hoping you can give me some details of the frame splitting incident you mentioned in my thread.

I like the idea of being able to convert the rear seat area into a bed. But then why not use a single cab and have the rear seat be full-width, as wide asthe camper as opposed to only as wide as the cab?

Iknow some of the high end slide in campers lance etc have tank heaters but i no nothing about them.

Hi GK, still following your other thread, then saw this new one. I daily drove a 1980 mini truck for a few years, much like you i really love their lines (if not the cramped interior). actually have a rear half of a '79 cab in the side yard that i had dreamed of grafting on to my old rig, before i traded it for the chinook. this guy's thread on marlin inspired me, though he has really slowed down on his progress.

http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=12165.360

some good fab work there, may give you some ideas.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have a few 1st gen 4x4 pickups, now thanks to Kevin (krj) I have a newport body.

Here is a link to Kevin's original build thread http://toyotamotorhome.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=2504&hl=%2Bnewport+%2Bproject

I likely won't be getting to this project till later this year or early next but it is getting a little closer

http://s1161.photobucket.com/user/galvanizedknight/media/ChinookToyota4x4NewportOmegaProjectBuild_zpsa4984dcc.jpg.html'>ChinookToyota4x4NewportOmegaProjectBuild

http://s1161.photobucket.com/user/galvanizedknight/media/SANY0038_zps2aae8dad.jpg.html'>SANY0038_zps2aae8dad.jpg

http://s1161.photobucket.com/user/galvanizedknight/media/ChinookToyota4x4NewportOmegaProjectBuild2_zpsaa6ea033.jpg.html'>ChinookToyota4x4NewportOmegaProjectBuild

http://s1161.photobucket.com/user/galvanizedknight/media/SANY0060_zps34f1a7b6.jpg.html'>SANY0060_zps34f1a7b6.jpg notice my other project in the background of this picture. here is a link to that project http://toyotamotorhome.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=3658&hl=

it was a long trip to Montana but well worth it!

if you have any ideas or comments for this project please post them.

Thank you

GK