New to the game (need some help/advice)

Everyday

Hello all, I have been reading the forums for a while now and decided to sign up so I could post. A lot of helpful and inspiring people here! I have been looking for a smaller rv, C class if possible rather than a B van syle and the Toyota motor home has caught my eye. I have been looking for a few months and just can't pull the trigger yet. Let me just give you all a run down on my situation.

I am a recently medically discharged veteran from the USAF. While not going into detail, I have left side lower extremity issues and some head problems...anyways! I have been out of the military for about a year and I can't really fit back into society very well. My goal is to get an RV, see the US (maybe Canada up to Alaska) and work things out for myself. This would be FULL TIME rving. I am not new to going out and surviving but I am new to the whole RV thing. I have done a lot of research so I won't ask any questions regarding rving at the moment (maybe some electronic/dry camping/etc questions later). I like to plan everything to the "T" but I am wanting to jump head first into this RV idea and work around it as it evolves.

I receive roughly 950$ take home a month from my disability pension and I was hoping that would be enough to support me. Traveling about 300-500 miles a month (unless I find an area I really like), finding mostly free camping if possible but going to paid campsites for water/dump/refill/ etc roughly 5-8 times during the month (not sure how all that works yet). If anyone has a rough estimate of what their fulltime rving month costs, small breakdown of things. I am mostly vegetarian so my diet is quite simple and cheap. I don't have a wife/girlfriend/kids. I do have my little dog who will definitely be coming with me on this journey. I don't own a house and I have little amount of possessions that could be stored with friends. I have no debt and probably enough cash to buy a decent Toyota MH.

I live in Colorado at the moment and found this Toyota on CL, wondering what you guys think http://denver.craigslist.org/rvs/2872846552.html I haven't called on it, so it could be sold or whatever but just wondering if that is something I should shoot for. It has high miles but the tranny was just replaced and 22RE (owned a toyota pickup when i was younger) is a great engine. Besides not knowing about any roof issue/electrical/etc seemed ok to me.

I know some of these questions don't revolve around toyota RV's specifically but it seems some of you are fulltimer rvers with toyota MH's so it seemed viable. Sorry if to much information is spilled on this page but I just wanted to give you folks an idea of where I am coming from to hopefully help give me some advice/help/ideas.

THANK YOU!!

Sorry to hear about your problems I would bet that there area great deal of camp grounds that would love to give you a break for what you have done for them and their country so that might help you with some expenses.There are several people on this site that are full timers and I'm sure they will chime in and give you some helpful hints. I can tell you fuel economy is directly proportional to the weight of your right foot 15 MPG is doable but it also maybe in the 12-13 MPG range. The 22RE engine is an excellent little engine it's weak point was the timing chain and often they only make it to about 150K not major but an expence. All of the heater, water pump and appliances are pretty much standard MH stuff same as you might find in any coach makers MH.Nothing special there. The one on Craig's list looks pretty nice check it over carefully for water damage that's a big issue and the fridge is a big ticket item also make sure it cools properly. We have two Great Dane's so your dog should be a cake walk. Good luck hope you enjoy what ever you end up with.

That little Winnie looks nice enough but it doesn't shout 'screaming deal' to me. be aware that it's a 'Shortie' (19ft). If I was planning to full time, an extra 2ft would be very welcome.

RVers don't seem to be very big on web sites. The best I've found, in terms of information and readability, though not a Toyota:

http://www.andybaird.com/travels/

Sounds like a great plan/adventure. I really hope you go ahead and do it. You'll find plenty of folks here that will help you.

I think your $950 per month income is probably enough, if marginal. I'd suggest you budget 10% of that into an emergency fund every month to cover the unexpected.

A couple waypoints for your budgeting: first, until last year, my wife and I and two large dogs traveled America every summer for 10 years (we were teaching at the time), we'd start the summer with a fully stocked and maintained Toyota motorhome, then strictly boondock as is your plan. We made good use of the great state parks in Oregon, but usually we paid nothing for camping. We'd eat some fast food but mostly we cooked our own. We'd travel about 1000 miles a month. Our budget was $2000 for the summer....or about $700 per month.

Second, at the other end of the spectrum: my father traveled full time in a 30' Bounder (not Toyota)towing a little car and with a dog, he liked steaks and whiskey and truckstop food and stayed mostly in RV parks. He made a yearly loop around the western US, gulf coast in winter, mountains in summer. He was tight with a dollar but would spend it if needed. His income was $2500 per month.

A couple of other thoughts:

- I'm guessing that in your situation, proximity to VA hospitals would be of concern. I assume there's a list available somewhere and would be worth plotting on a map.

- I believe I've read that some military installations have camping facilities attached. I don't know how 'long-term' you're allowed to stay, but could be useful for your 'dumps'. Something else worth plotting on a map.

Everyday-

I also exist on SS at about $1100 a month and have considered full timing in my '85 Dolphin. The one thing that has stopped me is the possibility of a major breakdown while on the road. This thought has led me to getting the motorhome in the best mechanical shape that I can afford and its the one thing that's difficult if not impossible to repair while on the road. Water leaks and rot are a problem with a lot of these RVs and while they will eventually ruin the coach part of the motorhome, they can be dealt with while on the road. Parts of the interior can be repaired while traveling and some of the drips can be "fixed" with a pan under the leak. I've also heard that if one stays in an RV park every night and drives for 5 to 7 hours a day, that expense will be about $100 a day. This makes boondocking or "stealth camping" a must and, of course, cooking your own food instead of eating out.

You sound like you've given this lifestyle a bit of thought and, with a bit of effort, you should be able to pull it off in a Toyhome. They are small and getting older every year but there are some real gems out there. Just take your time and look at a lot of examples so you know what's available. Pay particular attention to the interior layout since that's the one thing you can't change and you'll have to live with whatever you get.

Good Luck,

John

if you won't be driving much the gas mileage may not really be a big concern. if you only do 300 a month the difference between 15 mpg and 10 mpg is only $50 at $5 per gallon in CA we are real close to that already.. when shopping for my toy i also looked at some larger units with V8's. there are some real steals out there for 80's class C's that people need to get rid of. at least in CA i saw several much nicer, larger units for half the price of the toy. $2-3000 at $50/mo would buy you 40 to 60 months of extra gas cost. the smaller unit would be a little easier in getting around for shopping of course. thank you for your service.

Thank you all for the replies!

Maineah- thx for the tips on what to look for if I do go and check one out. I didn't even really think about the frige (seems like a no-brainer), but like you said it can be a big fix cost.

Derek- the Andy Baird site was great! Nice to see how he went about getting ready, what he wanted to do etc. The VA hospital isn't a big deal, not much they can do at this point just need my meds for a few months at a time no biggie. The military installation stay is a good idea. I know some sites are very strict on who they let in even if they are veterans or other service members but maybe there would be a few, I'll have to check it out.

Mulwyk- thank you for the insight on your summer trips. you guys traveled more than I might in a month and ate out more than I probably will, along with the fact that there are two of you so might just able to make this work. Speaking of work, I was looking over some other forums and there are places to work if you stay at that camp site or something like that. This could give me the small edge per month to either live more comfortably or put more into the emergency fund for repairs etc. This could be very interesting considering the fact that I don't have any other online type of income some of you very creative people are doing with antique sells/graphic design/etc.

Dolphinite- I am worried about problems that will occur along with road. With time and wear and tear something is bound to happen and without really having that emergency fund could put me in a real bind. stealth/boondocking/drycamping will be must and like I said maybe just 5-8 days at an actual campsite to fill and drain my tanks and do everything that I might have the luxury doing while boondocking. Maybe I could find some supplement income from some areas I stay in, as mentioned above.

90toydolphin- yeah my mileage should be lowish. somewhere around 300-500 miles. find a spot, stay there a few days drive a little bit down the road, stay a few days. Those days could turn into weeks if I like the area for sure. I will definitely be a snowbird. The mpg was never a deal breaker for me I just really like the layout of the toyota MH's and the fact they have toyota engines. My pickup had over 300k miles on the 22re when i sold it to friend. My parents say they still see the truck being driven around my hometown! I owned the 3.0 V6 as well but had more problems than I wanted to deal with (probably me lacking on the maintenance). The older V8 C's are neat too for sure, I have looked at those as well, but the older ones are usually carbureted and it would just be nice to have something fuel injected (I have had trouble with carbureted engines in the past). I don't mind the smaller living space (I stay in a very small place as it is...but without a new view every week or so!) and I see my self outside more often than not (as long as I can handle).

Thank you again for the replies! It is an inspiration to hear back from those who have been on this journey. I know there is a more to learn but first and foremost...I should probably just go get the dang RV! LOL I will probably keep looking though but I don't want to wait to long (some were saying they get more expensive as the weather gets better...naturally).

Some of Michigan's state parks and state forest campgrounds have campground hosts. You stay the season and get a break on camp fees in return for hosting duties. I am not sure but I think it is half price at a full hookup state park and free at a no hookup water pump and vault toilet state forest campground. Expect to make a 2-3 month commitment.

You should join the Yahoo forums. There are many groups that would help you solve different problems.

walmartrving.....stay for free for a couple of days

toyota-campers....general info site

RVRSUNDER55CLUB....what it says

minitruckcampers....everthing for sale in the US. Not all are toys

militarycamping.... Listings, tips, reviews about on base camp sites

Boondocking..... Cheap camping tips

WME

USAF retired 1992

The Boondocking Group is 99% politics. But if that's you thing ...

You could also Google 'Van Camping', 'Work camping' & 'Stealth Camping'. Even if you won't be doing either (perhaps), there's lots of useful info that can be transferred to a small MH.

A campground host sounds like a reasonable gig. I think they usually include a spot with hookups.

Those groups are mostly on Yahoo. The minitruckcampers one is mine. Don't know where you are in Colorado but if your ready to buy there is a very nice Sunrader going up for auction at Maiers' Auction house in Rocky Ford Co. Cash only sale and kind off out of the way, it might go for cheap. Sunraders are considered one of the best of the toyota motorhomes. Small enough to get really good mileage and big enough to be comfortable in .

http://www.maiersauc...hoto_album.html

March 24th auction. Anything under 7000 is a deal but might go way lower

LS

You should join the Google forums. There are many groups that would help you solve different problems.

walmartrving.....stay for free for a couple of days

toyota-campers....general info site

RVRSUNDER55CLUB....what it says

minitruckcampers....everthing for sale in the US. Not all are toys

militarycamping.... Listings, tips, reviews about on base camp sites

Boondocking..... Cheap camping tips

WME

USAF retired 1992

Just a note on size. Must Toyota MH have 6'-2" headroom. The Odyssey is tallest at 6'-3". Sunraders are reported to be the shortest (by an inch or two?) but I don't remember reading a measurement anywhere. Might be important to you or not.

my 1986 sunrader comes in at 6 feet even after losing 1/2 inch to the flooring. I dust the ceiling with my head being 6 feet myself. It may not be the best decision though if you have back problems or pain when contorting into tight places. I have mastered the parallel bar swing into drivers seat maneuver grabbing the attic bed rim as the bar. Its the yoga involved in getting back in the coach again that is the back slayer.

Thank you again for all the replies! amazing help and advice.

Recently just posted on CL http://cosprings.craigslist.org/cto/2893401541.html wondering what you all thought of this one. Has half the miles of 1989 Win Warrior I posted earlier though missing some information about the engine etc. You can't really see a ladder in the back in the picture either so I would definitely want to get up there to inspect the roof. I am not sure if the dolphin is "better" or "worse" than the warrior manufacture wise. Neither post mentions a generator so I doubt they have one but I can work something out for that eventually. Let me know what you all think and I will probably be calling this one with more questions later today.

Also, does each state have a different law on where you can park your RV? I live in the city and probably wouldn't have anywhere to put the RV for now besides a public street and I doubt that would go over well. I don't want to pay for an RV storage (well maybe for a couple months to get things in order, but rather not). I have a friend that has some land about 2 hrs away but if I wanted to work-on/clean/fix etc the rv I would have to drive up there every time for even the smallest things...either way just wondering about public street parking laws.

Bobeery- thank you for the Michigan state park idea. I would like to see that area eventually so it is worth giving it a look, as long as I can stay in one spot during the 2-3 month commitment.

5toyota- trust me, I have looked on here as well. I would like to stay local to Colorado to find a rig though, but one may pop up heh

linda s- I never thought about auctions (besides Ebay) while looking for an MH. The auction you posted is about 3hrs away from me but might be worth it if that little Sunrader is there. I'd have to know a little more about it though. I cannot drive a stick shift anymore due to my injuries so that would be pertinent info before the drive, things like that. Thank you for the link!

Derek- thank you for all the posts and advice. The head room in either is not an issue. I am 5'6 on a good day HA!

Thank you all again!

Most of the RV parking laws are local city ordinances, not state

This just posted recently on Craigslist in Denver. A Sunrader again but very low price for the year and looks super clean.

http://denver.craigslist.org/rvs/2893474546.html

Sunrader have an all fiberglass body more resistant to leaks and damage. For someone with some disabilities there is no need on this one to get on top and reseal the roof like is needed on other models.

LS

Thank you again for all the replies! amazing help and advice.

Recently just posted on CL http://cosprings.cra...2893401541.html wondering what you all thought of this one. Has half the miles of 1989 Win Warrior I posted earlier though missing some information about the engine etc. You can't really see a ladder in the back in the picture either so I would definitely want to get up there to inspect the roof. I am not sure if the dolphin is "better" or "worse" than the warrior manufacture wise. Neither post mentions a generator so I doubt they have one but I can work something out for that eventually. Let me know what you all think and I will probably be calling this one with more questions later today.

Also, does each state have a different law on where you can park your RV? I live in the city and probably wouldn't have anywhere to put the RV for now besides a public street and I doubt that would go over well. I don't want to pay for an RV storage (well maybe for a couple months to get things in order, but rather not). I have a friend that has some land about 2 hrs away but if I wanted to work-on/clean/fix etc the rv I would have to drive up there every time for even the smallest things...either way just wondering about public street parking laws.

Bobeery- thank you for the Michigan state park idea. I would like to see that area eventually so it is worth giving it a look, as long as I can stay in one spot during the 2-3 month commitment.

5toyota- trust me, I have looked on here as well. I would like to stay local to Colorado to find a rig though, but one may pop up heh

linda s- I never thought about auctions (besides Ebay) while looking for an MH. The auction you posted is about 3hrs away from me but might be worth it if that little Sunrader is there. I'd have to know a little more about it though. I cannot drive a stick shift anymore due to my injuries so that would be pertinent info before the drive, things like that. Thank you for the link!

Derek- thank you for all the posts and advice. The head room in either is not an issue. I am 5'6 on a good day HA!

Thank you all again!

Nice interior in that Dolphin, with under 50k miles! Hard to find them any more. B)

i have a dolphin and would lean toward the sunrader. the dolphin is probably the same engine as the sunrader based on years. from all i read about the 22re the mileage shouldn't be a concern. in the matter of days you have more and more choices.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, first are my thanks for your efforts toward our country and the rest of us. I live in the Eastern Sierra, where camping is usually free if you're willing to take some risks with ranch or logging roads. Where National Forest land exists, people live for months without fees. On various trips Eastward, I realize that everything is private land; trespass and get shot, or some such warning. I've lived recently for several years off the grid, in a Toyota pickup with a small camper, and been just fine. Someone responded that with your medical issues, staying within reach of a Vets' hospital might be a good call. I have a friend, an ex-army guy, who plans virtually every excursion around bases, where he can refuel, eat and stay for cheap. A good call. On the other hand, the farther you are from competent mechanical help means that you have to become a mechanic yourself. In this regard, out here where a 1000 miles is nothing, a well maintained vehicle is critical to getting along. I'd get really familiar with my engine, my plumbing, my electrics before I hit the road. Wishing you well on your "adjustments."

Edited by hawk

I too am a disabled vet. Based on your $ amount I suspect your pension is through the VA. All federal parks and recreational facilities will waive any entrance fees for disabled vets. Most states will also do this. You will need a copy of your disability rating along with your retired military ID or VA hospital identity card. This does not mean you'll be able to overnite necessarily, but will allow you to see many desirable national sites.

My MH has no toilet facilities. (small 18'). I plan to take out a Planet Fitness membership which will allow you to use an Planet Fitness site. They seem to be all over the country. The nice thing is most are open 24 hrs and have shower and toilet facilities. The 24 hour ones you could probably park your rig overnite without complaint.

When my renovations are completed, I plan to take a year and just travel. Good Luck. (you picked the best site to join) fred

One other thought. You may want to join an organization like the American Legion or VFW. There are chapters in most all cities and towns. These people are all vets and will help you in any way they can. They've been there and are good listeners. An added bonus is they may be able to steer you to local area's where you can park and rest.

Edited by fred heath

You might want to look into joining the Fraternal Order of Eagles.

Many of their locations offer free or low cost ($3 - $6)RV camping. From

what I understand some are just for one night, some for up to a week.

Some locations only offer parking, while others over electric and water.

Here is there camping map link: http://www.foe.com/camping-facilities.aspx

Also, most/a lot of Pilot and Flying-J truck stops offer free dump stations

and water, especially out West, their websites identify which ones have what,

and I have found most allow overnight parking.

Also out West, you will find that state rest stops have free dump stations/water

and some even have free wifi.

The old standby is to know what Walmarts allow overnight parking.

Good luck,

Dennis B...

• 2 months later...

Hi! State parks in IL - if you have a disabled veterans card class A & B campsites are only $10/day utility fee, no camping fee charged any day of week, class C & D campsites (rough camping) no fee charged. IL Natural Resources site.

Most states have reduced or no fee for vets, there's a site that lists info on fees for most states, sorry couldn't get it to paste here.

Also there is a discount pass for national parks that it stated you could get thru VA dept. Google national camping fees for disabled veterans & the site explains it.

Thank you for your service & sacrifices you are very appreciated, hope all goes well for you!

TerrieO

hey id throw this in about rving

http://www.costco.co...4294908218&Mo=0

I have a 24 hour fitness membership. This one is the best deal, it comes out to 15 a month. but it doesnt cover all of the clubs.

I actually spend 40 a month to use them all because there super sport clubs are great for rvers.

Many you could spend the night in the parking lot. Some dont even have a parking lot actually.

also between the big 3 gym chains, all of them have a free pass online system. golds, la fitness and 24 hour fitness all oif them.

the free passes range from 2 days to 2 weeks normally , but i remember getting a 1 month free pass from 24 hour fitness.

anyhow, take a look at 24 hour fitnesses locations on their website, and then think 15 bucks a month. jacuzzi, sauna, gym shower. cannot be beat if they are in your state.

I think you are going to find that using a gym as your home base so to speak is going to be much cheaper in the end than using even a free remote campsite. unless that is where you want to be, just stock up

also sort of eliminates the need for "dumping" I know I personally am going to be a full time rver but never ever use an onboard toilet just gyms rest stops whatever, maybe even campsite places.