What do you mostly use for entertaining the kids?

Totem

I just mounted an old Dell 21" FPD in the Rig. This was one of the oldy but awesome monitors Dell made in 2003-2004 when they were putting S video and RGA (composite) inputs and a selector switch on the front.

The thing aint worth its salt as a pc monitor but man does it ever make a Nice Wii monitor !

I bracket mounted it on the wall and put the Wii and wires in the closet behind the wall. I have downloaded the Hulu Plus and Netflix onto the Wii as I killed my cable earlier this year in favor of putting my high speed internet to work using a Sony Network Media device to pull all sorts of fun off of the internet.

My old cable Bill was about $105 a month; now I find I can get all the same shows on Netflix for 8 bucks a month and get it in any format i like; phone, TV and now in the Rig Via the wireless enabled Wii.

The thing pulls internet off of my Aircard paired with a USB mini wireless router. Depending where we drive it has loading time sometimes; but the awesome thing is that so many campgrounds like KOA have free HSI; thus pull in and watch away.

I chose this path instead of satellite or PC interaction though I also have a Stereo that dumps RGA to the monitor from the Iphone Dock. The Wii puts out better TV image than I phone so Iphone mostly gets used for slide shows of the camera.

When Docked there is nothing more awesome then engaging someone you've been fighting with all day while rv-ing play Ping Pong in an area that makes coming up with moves fast a super fun challenge and guaranteed laughs with bumped heads....headbonk.gif Turning the tiny camper into a Bowling Alley is also fun; in mine the Tiger Bamboo floor gives it added reality.

What do You all use for entertainment?

We have been camping with our kids since they were born. We have never had a TV and do not use one now that we have grandkids. The computer games are not allowed while camping. We occupy them by hiking, sitting around the campfire, playing card games, board games, swimming, ranger talks etc.

While on the road, no computers, we keep them occupied by my wife reading books that they like, playing games that require them to look outside.

We are very retro in our traveling. I do not remember a time when we didn't take trips and we were never bored. My kids and grandkids don't miss the computers while on the road.

When we are really in the boonies, we are at our best.

I like that approach; but alas I have 2 disney princesses (2 and 4) and they get the shakes and start scratching without some cartoons. We too do the hiking scootering exploring and camping thing; but when DRIVING the wii is exceptionally fun and keeps us active instead of just sitting or sleeping.

I too ban computers on trips as I am an IT manager the last thing I want to see on a trip is a PC; the wii is friendly enough though.

• 1 month later...

When my girls were younger, we would bring a cassette tape recorder, blank tapes and lots of batteries on long trips. The kids had a blast recording their own radio shows...These included fashion, cooking, travel, music, poetry, and whatever other topics they thought of. They interviewed each other and me. They also practiced different accents. Gil, our oldest daughter created an extremely funny Australian accent, and I remember Jen's Valley Girl Fashion Hour being exceptionally hysterical. When they were 9 and 11, I taught them a few chords on the guitar, and eventually other instruments, then new and amazing road trips insued. They'd write songs, and practice songs they'd learned off the internet, and sing. The miles would fly by. Since then, we always travel with either an upacked guitar, mandolin, ukulele, along with a flute or djembi. The girls jam while I drive.....however, now they've grown and moved out, our traveling together is not as frequent. Great memories. :)

• 1 year later...

As a kid of 5 stuffed in the station wagon crossing the country we had a small cardboard game with slider windows that when you saw a cow or stop sign pictured in the window you would call out and shut it. 1st one to shut all the windows won, anyone remember that game?

• 3 weeks later...

I recently bought a vintage game just like you described. If you want the game to go fast, play it like bingo with any 5 in a row winning. Since the cards are arranged differently, everyone can slide the door shut for a called out item and very seldom do you get two bingos at the same time. We play many variations of games on those old cards. The grandkids are not going to miss their computers and games at all this summer.