Get rebuilt 1 ton calipers from NAPA or someplace use your old calipers as the cores. Shouldn't be to much $$$

WME

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

See if you can get the VIN for the donor. Then maybe entering it in to one of these sites might give you a P.N. for the original caliper:-

http://www.toyotapartszone.com/toyota-truck-pickup-parts.html

http://www.toyotapartseast.com/toyota-truck-pickup-parts.html

https://www.1sttoyotaparts.com/oempartscat.html

I'm guessing these 3 all use the same database.

Another possible source:-

http://epc.uhaul.com/LinkOne/Viewer/Book.aspx?ReturnUrl=/LinkOne/Viewer/book.aspx?book=u-haul/toyota&book=u-haul/toyota

Ok, Im gonna get some adapters made at Adpater King. I give up; they are still way cheaper than the other california guys...

I need some help here folks; please help me fill out the following for FRONT wheel adapter setup on a 1/2 ton hub assembly: This will undoubtedly become of the most viewed posts in forum if we can fill this out correctly.

Bolt Pattern Car = 5 x ?

Thickness of adapter (1.9 is default) is this ok?

Bolt Pattern Rim 6 x 7.25 is this correct?

Stud Size? (Bolt circumfrence x length of pressed stud) (will be same for both the old 5 vs. the 6?)

See if you can get the VIN for the donor. Then maybe entering it in to one of these sites might give you a P.N. for the original caliper:-

http://www.toyotapar...ckup-parts.html

http://www.toyotapar...ckup-parts.html

https://www.1sttoyot...empartscat.html

I'm guessing these 3 all use the same database.

Another possible source:-

http://epc.uhaul.com...k=u-haul/toyota

The problem Derek is the improper Titling of 1/2 ton listed as 1 ton on the VIN; apperently this was quite common.

SOOOOO many yards think they have 1 ton and its 5 lug.

Of course you find this out AFTER you give them your cc number and order...

As it stands I'm already starring down having to change my CC number because every grease monkey in the USA probably has it now.

Well, there is such a thing as a 1-Ton Single Rear Wheel that had 5 lug wheels front and rear. Perhaps your VIN isn't so very wrong. 5 lugs does not necessarily mean 1/2-Ton. I believe there was also a 3/4-Ton.

yep; and I have had each of those assemblies be called 6 lug by the yards.

I just need the measurements for the adapters at this point unless Bryan B can beat that deal.

Its always "6 lug, oh yah I'm positive I'm looking at it" then get called back 1.5 weeks later. "uh we put our hands on it and its 5 lug, sorry"

how much do they want for the adapters?

you'd have to answer my question above for me to get a quote; these would be custom. still waiting on someone to help me with the stats:

Bolt Pattern Car = 5 x ?

Thickness of adapter (1.9 is default) is this ok?

Bolt Pattern Rim 6 x 7.25 is this correct?

Stud Size? (Bolt circumfrence x length of pressed stud) (will be same for both the old 5 vs. the 6?)

1986 Sunrader

Bolt Pattern Car = 5 x 4.5 in.

Thickness of adapter (1.9 in. is default) is this ok?

Bolt Pattern 1 ton new Rim 6 x 7.25 inch

Stud Size 12mm x1.50 (same for both bolt patterns can use existing lug nuts)

Above is the updated going assumption. Only thing I need to do now is measure offset which I have seen some other people say does not matter.

Thoughts anyone?

I posted pictures of the adapters on the Mini Motor home Yahoo group. "1 ton front end on an 86"

Search via "creator" wme013

Looking at the pics it seems that the adaptor is more than 1.9"

WME

I posted pictures of the adapters on the Mini Motor home Yahoo group. "1 ton front end on an 86"

Search via "creator" wme013

Looking at the pics it seems that the adaptor is more than 1.9"

WME

Thanks WME,

I decided against Adapter Kings as they had fine print saying the adapters were for "show" only.

I just found a company that makes roadworthy ones and they have the toyota config already to go as a two piece adapter.

they are sending me a quote; will report back.

Thanks WME,

I decided against Adapter Kings as they had fine print saying the adapters were for "show" only.

I just found a company that makes roadworthy ones and they have the toyota config already to go as a two piece adapter.

they are sending me a quote; will report back.

I was going to say there is a company out there that makes the Toyota ones and already have the specs. http://customcommercialwheel.com/ AT6714 is the part # you want

I was going to say there is a company out there that makes the Toyota ones and already have the specs. http://customcommercialwheel.com/ AT6714 is the part # you want

yeah, but $400+??? really?

they had better have motors in them for that price.

I'll be getting mine for half and am ashamed at that price.

email me, I have a set of hubs with new bearings & new rotors (both used for a couple hundred miles but still in new condition) around that price and you wont be adding an adapter to your original hub.

email me, I have a set of hubs with new bearings & new rotors (both used for a couple hundred miles but still in new condition) around that price and you wont be adding an adapter to your original hub.

* email sent

I didnt get any email? Maxxfabrication@ yahoo.com

will take some pics of what I have got and send them to you.

sorry, used this forum's messager system to the Bryan B account.. I am not on Yahoo

You don't have to have a Yahoo account to send an email to a Yahoo address. I'm not even sure if you have to have a Yahoo account to join a Yahoo Group.

Thanks Derrick, as a fortune 500 IT manager, MCP and Information systems graduate I will make it a point to remember that I do not need to be a member of Yahoo to send an email address to Yahoo....headbonk.gif

I will also again repeat that I sent a message using the toyotamotorhome.org message tool to the Bryan B account (hence the post "email sent")

I tried to re-establish my Yahoo account (I had one from 2002 that went stale) and am waiting for them to start it back up again; I don't want double accounts, so bleh I wait. I only made the yahoo comment because I have had 4 people in past week in here post links from Yahoo which yahoo refuses to let me view without being a member, watched yahoo sue facebook for advertisement patent infringement etc (yuck). So I like repeating that I don't have a yahoo account. I probably wont get another one if I don't get an email from them soon with the password reset as their business model doesn't agree with me.

Also before we get too off topic on the difference between a board private message and an email; I am operating under the assumption that a PM is set to email the user.

SO if Bryan/Maxx did not get the "email" as it says its called in this forum (is it really an email or a message? unsure of the nomenclature in this forum) perhaps the fact he uses two toyotamotorhome.org accounts confused the issue. Maxx/Bryan, check the Bryan B and see if you still see nothing if so perhaps we should let Greg know?

No harm no foul; I scored the hub assemblies few days ago on ebay (finally broke down and did the nasty); listing pictures matched the ones posted here from Yahoo. Thank you for that!weight_lift.gif

My 6 Lug 1 ton Hubs arrived in near mint rusty gold condition Friday! WOOT!

they were complete with rotors attached (including the 6 to 6 adapter.)

As i couldn't find a good sticky on the web for removing and repacking the bearings, I've decided to throw some business to my mech, and while in there install the front pair of Bilsteins I have picked up recently.

The rotors looked very good shape no grooves or wear at all; just a tad of rust nothing bad.

The bearings (from what I could tell) looked trashed. perhaps thats from the removal or maybe they were loose by design; I don't have enough experience with these to know. My gut instinct says the bearings in the hubs are junk.

The bearings seem to be easy to find and cheap; so I will let my mech grab some and over charge me;

The big gamble will be the brake calipers. Will they bolt on or will I need to hunt down other? My Mech is the man when it comes to making things fit el-frankenstieno so I've decided to see if he can pull it off.

If not I will be ebaying and hunting for the bracket, dust cover and calipers.

My 6 Lug 1 ton Hubs arrived in near mint rusty gold condition Friday! WOOT!

they were complete with rotors attached (including the 6 to 6 adapter.)

As i couldn't find a good sticky on the web for removing and repacking the bearings, I've decided to throw some business to my mech, and while in there install the front pair of Bilsteins I have picked up recently.

The rotors looked very good shape no grooves or wear at all; just a tad of rust nothing bad.

The bearings (from what I could tell) looked trashed. perhaps thats from the removal or maybe they were loose by design; I don't have enough experience with these to know. My gut instinct says the bearings in the hubs are junk.

The bearings seem to be easy to find and cheap; so I will let my mech grab some and over charge me;

The big gamble will be the brake calipers. Will they bolt on or will I need to hunt down other? My Mech is the man when it comes to making things fit el-frankenstieno so I've decided to see if he can pull it off.

If not I will be ebaying and hunting for the bracket, dust cover and calipers.

your calipers should work but be forewarned about the pads- they may need to be "aged" as in worn down a bit to fit over your new rotors. my 83 wouldnt accept the newer calipers and the worn brake pads just barely fit over the newer rotor (they werent worn down alot, like as in old needing replacement)

use only OEM Toyota bearings for just a few bucks more than an automotive chain store they are worth there weight in gold. they do all the work of carrying 1. your toyohome. 2. carrying the load of the heavier dually wheel and the offset leveraging caused by the adapter.

your calipers should work but be forewarned about the pads- they may need to be "aged" as in worn down a bit to fit over your new rotors. my 83 wouldnt accept the newer calipers and the worn brake pads just barely fit over the newer rotor (they werent worn down alot, like as in old needing replacement)

use only OEM Toyota bearings for just a few bucks more than an automotive chain store they are worth there weight in gold. they do all the work of carrying 1. your toyohome. 2. carrying the load of the heavier dually wheel and the offset leveraging caused by the adapter.

I wonder if the 86 calipers are different than the 83?

I am excited to see what happens. Mech says the whole deal wont take long at all; a pleasant surprise.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys, I am almost done with the front hub conversion and have hit a road block; I need part number for the proper caliper. The only calipers I am finding online are the (excluding dual rear) type listed 1 tons.

Called 2 dealerships and had teanagers answer the part counter and didnt know what a VIN number was.

ANY help locating a source part number for the 1 Ton Heavy duty assembly?

Also it seems the old dust shields from the 5 lug fit and dont catch; can i still use them?

Max? Derek?

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_Loaded-Brake-Caliper-Beck-Arnley_20573903-P_1162_R%7CGRPBRHYAMS_____#fragment-1

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_Loaded-Brake-Caliper-Beck-Arnley_20573902-P_1162_R%7CGRPBRHYAMS_____

For those that read this article this was the final piece of the puzzle:

Brake Part numbers: Beck Arnley

079-0992

079-0991

There may be better parts but getting the CORRECT ones priceless. I'll report back if they are correct when they get here

so, using a mechanic, $700 and a lot of calling cursing and crying, the brakes above were out of stock and needed to be manufactured. I have since learned the picture Derek showed on ebay above is in fact a correct Dually; also by studying the pictures Derek posted we now know what to look for : A caliper that had the larger pin slide on the one side than the other.

Just ordering "1 ton" will most usually get you the wrong smaller caliper intended for the "1 ton 5 lug" rotor. In many parts stores cases they don't distinguish the two and only the style will reveal it if you can see a picture. Fortunately Nappa Auto has re-manufactured actual Toyota 1 ton calipers designated "w/dual rear wheels" in the notes. these will always be under a 1989-1993 V6 pickup car setting.

So, for blood sweat and tears $700 got me into 6 lug hubs, bilsteins,new bearings, tires swapped over and new heavy duty brakes. The adapters would have been cheaper at $430, but after the old shocks came out I am glad at the extra spend they were junk.

The results:

1 spare tire that I can now "learn to change"! and one heck of a better braking smoother riding rig. until the motor blows, or trans fries I am officially done tinkering. Thanks to all of you guys for your pictures patience and wisdom. I hope this thread can help others that consider this swap. I personally think it a better quest than the easy way out of overpriced adapters.thumbup.gif

I am looking at doing this swap soon and appreciate the info. I just need to find parts. I located my rear axle at a local yard, but in all the excitement I completely forgot about the front end stuff. Before I realized my mistake, the yard had already scrapped the donor. Thanks for the read.

Hardest part of Rear Axle project: getting the shock plate mounts..

Hardest part of converting the front: locating the 6 lug hubs...

Doing the front was WAY more time consuming than the rear axle.

Hardest part of doing the conversion in Canada? You aren't going to find any donors in the junkyard! As far as I can tell, Toyota never imported the 1-Ton into Canada. U-Haul (as far as I can tell) never offered the box truck, etc, etc. The couple of Canadian built MH I've seen have been built on the 1/2 Ton truck.

post-4814-0-36981500-1335132707_thumb.jp

important information!

The caliper Theory I had IS correct. The core caliper is identical to to the dually caliper; THE ONLY DIFFERENCE between the 5 lug and 6 lug assembly is the Bracket. The bracket includes the slides where one slide is larger than the other.

My mech called today and told me that the calipers were in fact the same part and only the bracket is different. SO save yourself $300 in core charges if you do this swap folks, just get the heavy duty $34 bracket (unless like me you wanted to do new calipers while in there.)

Update.

Just picked her up and drove her home. The difference in drive is amazing. the mass of the wheels you can really feel and the Bilstein shocks... wow. like floating on a cloud of...

Now for this weekend: crowned her with the wheel simulators. Decided to make use of an older 5 lug stainless hubcap to hang the spare 6 lug wheel from. Worked great and looks nice underneath. No welding needed.

post-4814-0-10604400-1335132724_thumb.jp

• 8 months later...

Maybe you can do a little 'pay back' and list together in one post all the part numbers and sources you finally ended fitting together.

Yes that would be appreciated!