New here.

lilviking

Hey everyone! Ive been lurking and daydreaming over this site for a while now. In my adventures through Texas I've come apon my treasure a 1977/78? Toyota Royal Holiday. The insides mostly gutted the body is pretty alright though. I got it for 500$ and with only 87k! The problem, first lost title, buy not a biggie, second not starting... New battery, but you turn the key lights come on and click nothing!?! Well I'm gonna tow it to a friends and as we do it I'm gonna pop the clutch and see if I can compression start it...

Any who this is my first Toyota and motore home but I'm overly stoked on it. I'll be asking all sorts of questions in the months to come, but as they say the only stupid question is the one not asked...

$500! What a great deal. You'll no doubt find plenty of problems with her, but starting from $500 you can well afford to spend a little fixing up the old girl. I recently spent $1600 to do a complete restore of a 18' Sunrader, including new tires. Do all the work yourself if you want to keep your costs low.

Sometimes that lights-but-no-starter thing is just bad electical connections on the battery and/or starter, but, worst case, you might be looking at a new starter.

If it's set for awhile, the gas has mostly likely gone bad. Drain the tank and fuel lines and get a new filter, then add fresh gas.

Have fun with it! and please, post some pictures.

Welcome. This is the most helpful group on the net for Toyhouses. If they can't point you in the right direction, nobody can. Buy a $20 multimeter and you will find alot of uses for it starting right now with your starter problems.

Thanks everyone, so far I haven't gotten together with my friend to tow it so still no real idea. The guy says its been sitting about 6 months so ya think I gotta drain it. Other wise I'll get some pic's and more derect questions on here ASAP!

Totally stoked on this project other wise!!!

Welcome! You sound mechanically inclined which i am not. But i had clicking sound and changed starter and same thing click. It ended up being a bad connection from battery to the main engine fuse box in engine compartment. Just thought i'd throw that out there. Now i have an extra starter!

lilviking cant say for certain the 77 78 can have two different type of starter the gear reduction starter has the wires on the bottom . the gear reduction starter is very known for the dead key click click the copper selonoid contacts burn and cause this problem very very common . if it is the starter i would replace it with the much more reliable convential direct drive starter. just put one on my 1978 20r minmax. have owend f, our 20r toyotas wagen, celica, truck, moterhome.

• 5 months later...