Just Gone !!

Vanman

We went for a drive in our 91 Dolphin and upon arriving home found the drivers side plastic cover from the rear bumper to the plastic side trim missing. Attempts for recovery have failed and the fronts are bunged up some on both sides also , so is there any current source of the grey plastic trim parts on Dolphins ??? <br />vanman

'91 and newer Dolphins (& SeaBreezes) have 'stylized' rear bumpers and side skirts. Gone is the typical 4" square rear bumper. The transition from the 'bumper' and 'side skirt' is accomplished with a small 'cap' at each corner. These are held in place with a few rivets or screws. My guess is that they'll only be available used.

Maybe an opportunity for someone to set up a small cottage industry making fiberglass replacements, though I'm sure demand would be low!

Derek up North

Not a valuable item. Unless you're missing one! Then it's 'priceless'!!Here's a poor picture:-

Yes, that's it, only it shows the pass side. I need the driver's side. I didn't know they were only on the last few years models, that makes finding one more difficult. I have it all duct taped now as it's raining and the edge of the wood floor is exposed. It fits under edges of the rear skirt and bumper and is only retained by a small sheet metal screw , which on my pass side was stripped amd barely hanging in there, since replaced with a machine screw, washers, lockwashers, nut. If you have one of these models I would strongly recomment checking the condition of that screw retaining this side cap. :(

vanman

if you can't find one, might check out pvc caps f or square gutters?? maybe something in hardware store can be made to work and look ok. also sheet metal shop maybe able to make something custom, many HAVC people have those capabilities.

• 4 weeks later...

Vanman, try this site www.themetalcompany.com , they also have fiberglass & state they can fabricate, I lost drivers side rear lower panel & bumper cap oon my 90 Dolphin when had blowout on way to rally & I had put screws in it where found open holels before we left as there was only a few little metal brads left along it but there's not much behind there to screw into and flinging rubber still took it with it. I'm waiting for reply from insurance estimator to see if they will let me use them. While waiting to get fixed I cut a spare pc of house siding into 2 pcs & attached them in place so exposed stuff would be covered for winter.

Hope helps. TerrieO

TerrieO hi i wundred how you were doing after your disaster. in nov i bought a 1987 Dolphin 22re auto 66ooo miles cant wait to do a trip. are you getting all repaired i hope

terrieo

Vanman, try this site <a href='http://www.themetalcompany.com' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>www.themetalcompany.com</a> , they also have fiberglass & state they can fabricate, I lost drivers side rear lower panel & bumper cap oon my 90 Dolphin when had blowout on way to rally & I had put screws in it where found open holels before we left as there was only a few little metal brads left along it but there's not much behind there to screw into and flinging rubber still took it with it. I'm waiting for reply from insurance estimator to see if they will let me use them. While waiting to get fixed I cut a spare pc of house siding into 2 pcs & attached them in place so exposed stuff would be covered for winter. Hope helps. TerrieO<

Thanks for that info. I'll call them monday. I am now looking at a leak in the pressure side power steering pump hose. A quick look at it and it seems the hose is a one piece part from the banjo bolt end on the pump all the way over to the flare nut connection into the top of the pinyon assembly. There are also 2 small hoses starting at the bottom of the pump that go into the intake manifold??? This can't be right??. I will look again when the weather gets better, and at the Toyota dealers parts diagrams when I order my replacement transmission dipstick. One thing after another, it seems. Just gotta keep on keepin on.

vanman

..Vanman those strange vacum hoses to the manifold are correct but i dont rember what they do. as i recall the carb eng does not have those. will look in fsm book. 88 4wd same thing. my 87 dolphin also . the book says electronic and vacoum controled PROGRESSIVE POWER STEARING. WARNING USE ONLY DEXRON ATF IN THE POWER STEARING. little hoses go to what is called air control valve ALSO A LARGE FLARE NUT WRENCH SLOTTED BOX TYPE IS WHAT SHOULD BE USED ON THE FITTINGS

The little hoses are vacuum hoses they are an idle kick that bumps up the idle at a stand still when you turn the steering wheel.

WOW !! 3 things. First thanks to all who replied, your info is much appreciated.

The power steering hose is a one piece assembly from Toyota, or what I have isn't stock. It's a ? mark shaped metal pipe with a banjo bolt/fitting at the pump end the other end has a 2 barrell crimp fitting to a rubber tube. 5" down from that is a somewhat smaller 2 ring crimped fitting that is a splice or maybe a check valve??? that is my leak. Below the crimp /? is 6" more rubber tube that joins to a metal tube with another large 2 ring/barrel crimp connection that appears same as the one on the top. The metal tube is a one piece run across the frame to the other side of the engine and ends with several bends to go into the steering box. Do Toyota mean you to have to buy the whole thing?? that can't be right.?? Can I just splice this tube??

The seal at the top of the steering box is also leaking, but not badly now. After looking at what will have to be done to get that apart, it seems the easiest way would be to drop the whole rack and pinion assembly.?? Has anyone done this?ie, is the seal replaceable, or replace the whole steering box?

The idle RPM has never varied since we got it so this doesn't work either. The power steering seems to work fine, it's only slightly harder to turn when not moving. I'm fine with it the way it is now, but is this something I need because of the computer??/ If not am I good to just plug / cap off these fittings??

soon to be very busy vanman

• 1 month later...

WOW !! 3 things. First thanks to all who replied, your info is much appreciated.

The power steering hose is a one piece assembly from Toyota, or what I have isn't stock. It's a ? mark shaped metal pipe with a banjo bolt/fitting at the pump end the other end has a 2 barrell crimp fitting to a rubber tube. 5" down from that is a somewhat smaller 2 ring crimped fitting that is a splice or maybe a check valve??? that is my leak. Below the crimp /? is 6" more rubber tube that joins to a metal tube with another large 2 ring/barrel crimp connection that appears same as the one on the top. The metal tube is a one piece run across the frame to the other side of the engine and ends with several bends to go into the steering box. Do Toyota mean you to have to buy the whole thing?? that can't be right.?? Can I just splice this tube??

The seal at the top of the steering box is also leaking, but not badly now. After looking at what will have to be done to get that apart, it seems the easiest way would be to drop the whole rack and pinion assembly.?? Has anyone done this?ie, is the seal replaceable, or replace the whole steering box?

The idle RPM has never varied since we got it so this doesn't work either. The power steering seems to work fine, it's only slightly harder to turn when not moving. I'm fine with it the way it is now, but is this something I need because of the computer??/ If not am I good to just plug / cap off these fittings??

soon to be very busy vanman

Vanman, sorry for delay in replying, been out of commission for little bit, I'm still searching for the rear panel, have found these other places that advertise carry parts, Pelland Ent - pellent.com & found yesterday ortegamanufacturing.com that bought surplus National RV parts, he emailed me today asking if the part is ABS plastic, I have no idea, I thought was fiberglass. Do you know? The lower bluish grey trim panels are different than the upper siding. Do you know what they are made of? Ortega doesn't think he has it but has to wait for parts mgr to get back to fond out for sure. A fiberglass fabricator near here told me can't fabricate it, I don't know what to do! Can't get insurance estimate & $ for rest of damage until I find that part! Guess I'll just have to bolt the pc of house siding back on it to protect sewer tanks to be able to go to the rally in July. Hope you are having much better luck with your repairs!

TerrieO

• 2 weeks later...

We went for a drive in our 91 Dolphin and upon arriving home found the drivers side plastic cover from the rear bumper to the plastic side trim missing. Attempts for recovery have failed and the fronts are bunged up some on both sides also , so is there any current source of the grey plastic trim parts on Dolphins ??? <br />vanman

Vanman, pellandent.com has a bumper end cap for states "National 1990's Dolphin" for $185., apparently from the pictures you posted I was missing both of these so didn't even know I was suposed to have them! I'm going to have a metal bumper put on that I can store sewer hose in as my dolphin only has a small round port on side about a ft deep for hose to fit in, which it won't unless I take all the fittings off!

Good luck hope you find you parts!

terrieo

Vanman, pellandent.com has a bumper end cap for states "National 1990's Dolphin" for $185., apparently from the pictures you posted I was missing both of these so didn't even know I was suposed to have them! I'm going to have a metal bumper put on that I can store sewer hose in as my dolphin only has a small round port on side about a ft deep for hose to fit in, which it won't unless I take all the fittings off!

Good luck hope you find you parts!

Great !!! I'll call them tomorrow. I keep the hose that came with the Dolphin in that short tube, it will work as an extension of the standard RV dump hose which I keep in a sturdy plastic bag.

Thanks ...vanman