Towing with a Toyota

hattie

Can a Toyota do ANY towing of a dingy? Naturally My Jeep would be a bit heavy, but what about a fiberglass VW Dunebuggy? I think they weigh about 1200#. Or will a Harley on a trailer work?

What do you do when camped and wish to make a run to the store, or see the sights?

DONT KNOW about the other brands but the book from National RV says no towing at all with THE DOLPHIN OR THE SEABREEZE 1987.

I suspect ALL of them are marked so if for no other reason that the design of the frame extensions was 'marginal' and NOT designed to carry the load of a trailer hitch. Does this meant that they can't be redesigned to do so? No (IMHO).

Here's a trip report from someone on the Toyota Camper Yahoo Group who towed a Smart Car on a trailer from Ottawa, Ont to somewhere in the SW US (can't remember where) and back without incident: I believe it was a V6 Sunrader.

"It was a great trip ! No problems at all towing the Smart car, most of the time I had to remember it was back there. My gas mileage averaged 12-14 mpg while towing."

As I recall, he DID have the frame extension reinforced.

Here's a trailer designed for a Smart Car:-

http://www.smarttrailerusa.com/

Tony (also on the Yahoo Group) used to tow an enclosed trailer from BC to Mexico. Several times. I believe i was a 22re Sunrader. From 1 of his posts:-

"A few years ago, we took our Sunrader through several mountain ranges in Mexico, quite a few times we were well over 12,000 ft, and had a trailer behind. I do not worry so much about the uphills, but do go down hill in the same gear I would use to go up it. Overheated brakes are much more of a threat than climbing a hill in first or second gear."

Here's a picture of his Sunrader and the trailer:-

http://www.flickr.co...157626948760507

Another post from 'over there':-

"In the Photo section (way in the back) there is a folder titled "Towing with a

Toyota RV".

One of those posting there is ME. The picture was taken in the summer and I had

just made it to the summit of Powder River Pass, 9660 ft.

To get there safely and more importantly to get down I have done the following

things to my TOY. Front to back:

1. Big trannie cooler

2. OS 3 row radiator

3. Hopped up engine 130+ hp

4 New HD brake pads, no wheel covers for max brake cooling.

5 Reinforced frame and bumper, frame mounted hitch.

6. Trailer brakes.

Trailer weight is around 1000lb that's my personal limit.

Yes I have seen damaged bumpers, actually one was torn off the frames where it

was welded on the extensions. The bumper had a mount for 2 bicycles. And I have

seen 1 frame that had cracks where the extension were welded on. This one had a

sorta good hitch on the bumper. No idea what it was pulling/carrying.

WME"

All good advice, especially #6!

• 1 month later...

Can a Toyota do ANY towing of a dingy? Naturally My Jeep would be a bit heavy, but what about a fiberglass VW Dunebuggy? I think they weigh about 1200#. Or will a Harley on a trailer work?

What do you do when camped and wish to make a run to the store, or see the sights?

i have towed a stock 72 vw super beetle from east TN to Tampa FL and back with no problems at all, used a tow bar so all 4 wheels were on the ground with my 86, 22r 4cyl. auto, pulled it at 60mph got 12mpg forget it was back there one time and had to back it up not fun, but other than that it was OK. in saying all that if i were to consider doing it on a regular basis i would go the cut down with fiberglass body version, less weight would be better. my hitch is a standard 2inch receiver hitch i also have a carrier that mounts into the hitch to carry light weight items like extra fuel and portable camping shelter but total weight should never exceed 200lbs due front end traction being effected. also have pulled my 4x8 open utility trailer all over with a 350lbs motor scooter on it works great. i see no reason why you couldn't pull a Harley on a light trailer. Phil

I have towed a dual Axle Pontoon Trailer for a 23 footer with no boat on it; have also had cargo carrier on mine with about 185 LBS. Everyone says dont do it; I have had no issues but drive her with respect not crazy. (55 or less unless down-hilling).

My next amazing feat will be to tow a 465 pound small sled trailer with about 400 lbs of gear on it. this will be towing 850 lbs with approximately 85 lbs on the tongue; much less tongue weight than the cargo carrier setup.

My rig is an 1986 Sunrader with the EFI 22re.

Most folks worry about frame in here; ive inspected mine several times; no issues so far. This years trip is to yellow-stone; if she survives this then I am calling it good.

• 2 months later...

Can a Toyota do ANY towing of a dingy? will a Harley on a trailer work?

Maybe a Sporty. There are lighter bikes. My GS500F weighs only 400#. My V1300T weighs 700#. Big difference.I believe that you can get light weight mc trailers as well.

Tudy

• 4 years later...

Been kicking this idea around for a while now. I have seen toyhomes towing some pretty big trailers. I would love to get a toad since we workcamp and having to drive the house for grocery runs or exploring has been getting old. I have a 48cc gas bike but being able to have a car so we (girlfriend, dog, and I) can all venture out in a small car would be such an upgrade in life. Also to be able to transport supplies more than what fits on a bike and in a backpack would be a help. Especially being in the PNW right now the gas bike is not so fun in the rain.

Thinking a Geo Metro or something really light would be do-able? We have a tow hitch that I have about 250 pounds of a cargo box on it (shown below) but the frame isn't reinforced. I hear they are thin towards the back and seems most are doing that on here. Would a tow dolly or tow setup work better as far as tongue weight and better braking?

Should I just abandon the idea because it's dangerous and stupid? Feel like it would kill my motor, tranny, or brakes especially. Do have the 3.0 and its only got 5k on it after being rebuilt so feel the power is there. Assume all would need upgrading.. "

1. Big trannie cooler

2. OS 3 row radiator

3. Hopped up engine 130+ hp

4 New HD brake pads, no wheel covers for max brake cooling.

5 Reinforced frame and bumper, frame mounted hitch.

6. Trailer brakes."

Also thinking getting a HFT trailer (1090 lb. Capacity 40-1/2 in x 48 or the 4x8? Suggestions?) and getting a 250 dual sport and just making a small open bike trailer with cargo boxes on the front and sides.

The Sea Breeze also has a hitch on the front from the previous owner so was also thinking just doing a hitch mount motorcycle carrier for the future possible dual sport. Wouldn't have to worry about towing a trailer but worried about it blocking visibility from the driver seat when all loaded up. Seen front mounted motor bikes on rv's but on domestic van chassis with a much higher point of view.

So yea lots of ideas and questions, looking for some help or insight to try and avoid mistakes and not waste money:)

Displaying IMG_20161029_145941687.jpg

Edited by DirtyPatches

I vote for the trailer and a small motorcycle vs a GEO.

Not with my Toy Home. I know people have towed bigger things but it boiled down to dumb luck. I tow a camper with a 240HP Tacoma so that puts the weight of the pair at less than 7,000# and I can tell you I do a lot of shifting with my 6 speed. So you can easily top 7K with a truck that all ready is over loaded at 6,000 + pounds. the Metro by the way is 1600#.

I agree with Maineah. No towing with my rig either even though it has reinforced frame extensions. The simplicity of Toys makes is so easy to get out of your camp. Unplug if on shore power and drive away!

All of the rigs that I've seen posted towing were the Full 1 ton chassis not the 5 lug front. Would that make a difference?

I tow a small trailer sometimes. In fact will be towing it this summers trips as it will have the scooters, generator and boat/ motor. 

Scoots are at 70 lbs each same with genny and boat. I would guess 350 lbs gear tops on a trailer similar to the harbor freight. I'd guess the whole setup is 650 lbs.

Wouldn't the 6 be more capable than the 4 as far as towing goes or is it all about the frame?

The 4 was used in tow trucks. The 6 is louder and more prone to head gasket fail. My new motor will be in in a few weeks ported, cammed stage 2 designed for RV. I had them build me one like WME's. Took a super long time. I plan on towing with my oem motor one last time before the swap also so i can see how much if any difference there is. I have a trans cooler. I wont go much over 55 when towing.

Edited by Totem

I read about towing with the Toy a bit and with all the different manufacturers over a long period of time I cannot see where there is one fits all answer.  My 93 Sea Breeze says no towing, but the frame extension looks substantial. I would not want to tow with mine because of the length from the rear wheels to the back bumper add 3 feet for a tow bar and then go play crack the whip! A personal opinion based on towing with motorhomes. 

On 3/29/2017 at 8:10 PM, Totem said:

The 4 was used in tow trucks. The 6 is louder and more prone to head gasket fail. My new motor will be in in a few weeks ported, cammed stage 2 designed for RV. I had them build me one like WME's. Took a super long time. I plan on towing with my oem motor one last time before the swap also so i can see how much if any difference there is. I have a trans cooler. I wont go much over 55 when towing.

Yes there were 4 cylinder Toyota tow trucks they were more of a novelty that a useful tow truck. Or local Toyota dealer had one every once in awhile they would pick up a lot car and park it by the entrance. One thing to remember it's still the weight it takes a lot to get weight moving even if it has it's own wheels same goes for stopping it.

On 3/29/2017 at 7:34 PM, markwilliam1 said:

Wouldn't the 6 be more capable than the 4 as far as towing goes or is it all about the frame?

Yes the 6 has more HP that would help to get it going the frames are the same. It really is all about the weight of the MH and trailer towing with an all ready maxed vehicle.

Thanks! Just curious as I won't tow with Grannie.

Lately I'm of the opine a tiny trailer can take weight off an overloaded axle that's a good thing.. and most in here lecture and harangue those that want to do over 60 mph anyway so cruising 55 -60 with mini trailer should be fine

Edited by Totem

Thanks for all the responses everyone! Quickly backing out on the toad car idea the more I think about the everyday issue. Also I hear you cant back up with toads? Also surprised to hear a geo metro is 1800 lbs, my guess was around 900 haha. That much weight wouldn't work, for long anyway my brakes hate me enough already being home for 2 people, all our crap, and an 80 pound dog.

A very small trailer might be the direction I go or just a rack on the front for a small motorcycle or scooter. Being able to fit in one parking spot and being able to get to more secluded camps is a tough trade off.

I've been thinking about towing more with my rebuilt version.  I did some serious frame strengthening along the extensions to beef up the rear area for more cargo capacity.  At the same time, I replaced the bumper and welded on a bumper mount receiver.  My situation is different from most of y'alls, but I think the mods could work on any motorhome if someone was willing to put the time/$ into it.
I know many of you have seen this, so if so, please disregard.  Likewise, I was building a cargo ramp at the same time, so you don't need to watch the whole thing to see my hitch assembly.

I decided to go a little light duty on the actual rear bumper metal, (heavy 1/8th inch) mainly due to cost and weight.  But also because I knew I wasn't going to be towing a 6k trailer behind it ever.  It's well braced and the hitch itself is welded to the 1/4" tube stock gussets.  I'm confident it's not going anywhere.

What I plan to do, after some engine mods to improve power, is occasionally haul an 1800# trailer.  However, this would only be when the motorhome itself is mostly empty.(and is considerably lighter than yours to start with since it lacks a kitchen, bathroom, fridge, etc.)  This would allow the cargo area to be used for sleeping.

Hey Ben! Been following your thread with great interest. Incredible job Man! So I would love to hear of Any engine mods you are contemplating on the little 22RE to improve power. BTW, I'm a music lover what kind do you play? Not trying to hijack your thread, just curious.