building my own solar system

86rader

I would like to add a solar system to my sunrader, mainly because it seems like a good way to keep a trickle charge on the batteries. Also, I plan on converting the black water toilet to a composting type which means having a small 12v vent fan running for extended times.

My question is, do I spend the bucks on a complete system or do I cobble stuff together from seperately purchased parts on ebay. Seems like there is a pretty good supply of pv cells cheap on ebay. Ofcourse, that may be because they are junk or not sturdy enough for a mobile application.

I am an electronics tech and jack of all trades (master of none). I know my way around a solder iron and wiring pretty well, so that part shouldn't be a problem.

One of my biggest questions is pv cell mounting. Do I bolt it to the roof or use a more portable set up. Seems like the portable set up might be best as you can locate the cells for optimum sun exposure. I am not concerned with the ability to run the solar system while on the roll as there is this thing under the hood that does that pretty well. Also, a stowable pv array wouldn't be as susceptible to being damaged while driving.

Any experience with this would be appreciated. thanks.

I think most mount them on the roof. Storage and theft are the biggest reasons. I would not want to have set them up every time nor do I have the room to store them. So on the roof they will be when money allows. Go to www.costco.com and do a search for solar. I think they all come with some sort of mounting system.

greg, thanks for the costco link. there is a setup on there that looks pretty good for around 300 bucks. I think I might do better buying individual components though, because buying a complete system would be a bit redundant as they come with an inverter.

If I was to tie into my existing system, I would think that all I need is a pv array and a voltage regulator. The regulators on ebay seem to run pretty cheap. i'd rather put the dollars into a higher quality array which has better efficiency and lifespan.

• 3 weeks later...