Sunrader curved front replacement windows

Bryan B

Okay so after alot of reading and some research into it I have decided to produce replacement windows for the Sunraders curved front plexiglass.

The ones that are originally from the factory are plexiglass (or if you prefer, plexicrap) and they have no UV resistance whatsoever, and I am guessing the 375 dollar replacement ones dont either (I find it funny the owner of sunrader kept making replacement windows loooong after Sunrader has been gone, go figure)

Its a free and open market on these, no patent infingment etc. I will be making these out of Lexan (polycarbonate, Lexan is a commercial name)

I will have a breakage/cracking warranty on each window, other than an auto accident (which I doubt will break it) these are VERY break resistant, I can bend one in a circle and it will bounce back every time without cracking. BTW conveinance store bullet proof windows are made out of polycarbonate, I am not saying these are bullet proof but they wont shatter like plexicrap does, the bullet would leave a small hole only.

I will not have these available until late december, I do have the mold made and am negotiating a deal with a company to mass produce these for me (and no, they wont be anywhere close to 375 a peice) I will include both gaskets.

The window wont appear concave at any point like our factory windows do/did.

I will offer 3 tints- clear, smoke and dark.

as for now I will not discuss any pricing.

any suggestions?

Its a free and open market on these, no patent infingment etc. I will be making these out of Lexan (polycarbonate, Lexan is a commercial name)

In 1974 I bought a home made faring for my new Kawasaki Z1a (saying homemade doesn't do it justice -- it was really nice). The guy used Lexan (instead of plexiglass) for the windscreen. It did work well -- his hangup at the time was DOT approval -- good luck, hope you make a ton of money. Kim

In 1974 I bought a home made faring for my new Kawasaki Z1a (saying homemade doesn't do it justice -- it was really nice). The guy used Lexan (instead of plexiglass) for the windscreen. It did work well -- his hangup at the time was DOT approval -- good luck, hope you make a ton of money. Kim

LOL, thanks Kim- its not about the money at all. I dont think choices for replacement are fair in our economy right now and the quality of what is available is well.... crap.

If I am buying a 375 dollar window and still have to spend another 50-100 for a gasket thats plain nuts.

It is a junk window to begin with, lets all just admit that. plexiglass? really? why not improve something when it fails? maybe its just me.

I live not too far from the place that makes the replacement windows. They are 375 installed so no extra charge for gasket. Also it's the former plant manager not the owner of the Sunrader company who is making them. Still a lot of money and it's on the west coast. I think you said you were in the mid-west. Can't hurt to have another source. I also need some front windows and I am going to make them myself. I looked into lexan but it seems to scratch easier than plexiglass. I don't know about plexiglass being junk. My Toyota Sunrader has the original windows from 1986 and they still look great. I need windows for my Nissan Sunrader which took a hit hard enough in the front to gouge the fiberglass shell. The window is still in place but the corner is gone. The other side looks like a bullet hole and there is only slight cracking around it. Is there some treatment you can do to make Lexan scratch less cause I don't think I would be happy with a window all scratched up in a few years.

LS

LOL, thanks Kim- its not about the money at all. I dont think choices for replacement are fair in our economy right now and the quality of what is available is well.... crap.

If I am buying a 375 dollar window and still have to spend another 50-100 for a gasket thats plain nuts.

It is a junk window to begin with, lets all just admit that. plexiglass? really? why not improve something when it fails? maybe its just me.

Heres my experience regarding Lexan vs Plexiglass (both trade marks but common name)

Personally - I'd use Lexan if possible

Lexan (Polycarbonate Sheet) when comparing to Plexiglass (Acetate sheet)

Pros

More difficult to break

Easier (more forgiving) to cut, grind.

Won't yellow with UV exposure

Cons

Little more expensive than Plexiglass (2 - 3 x)

Scratches easier,

Very difficult to polish

Optically - not as good as Plexiglass - not a big deal unless your shooting high definition Photo imagery through your window

A little more of a challenge to thermally form (water bubbles form if heated to fast)

JOhn Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

An additional issue I have encountered with the stock window set, after removing, buffing and re-mounting my 84' wrap-arounds some time ago, is that, no matter how much soaping and sliding you do, they just don't fit quite right. There is a pronounced contour differential between the coach and the windows on the corners. Could have been the molds, could be they were cut out by same workers that they blindfolded to cut out the back window ports. (I have had to re-size/re-glass all of mine to cure the leaks) I vote for retrofit with more stable material that will stand up to the sun. Uhmmmmm,.... it IS called a SunRader right ?

An additional issue I have encountered with the stock window set, after removing, buffing and re-mounting my 84' wrap-arounds some time ago, is that, no matter how much soaping and sliding you do, they just don't fit quite right. There is a pronounced contour differential between the coach and the windows on the corners. Could have been the molds, could be they were cut out by same workers that they blindfolded to cut out the back window ports. (I have had to re-size/re-glass all of mine to cure the leaks) I vote for retrofit with more stable material that will stand up to the sun. Uhmmmmm,.... it IS called a SunRader right ?

yes the window opening holes are a little "big"!! LOL, the front window on the sunrader isnt formed as well as it could have been to shape to the fiberglass opening making it a headache to put in, the lexan is a bit more rigid.

As for scratching easier, there is a solution that the company that I deal with offers, they have a ahrdcoat that resists wiper scractches ( I have a polycarb windhield in an off road truck that looks very good after using it for years from this company)

As far as clarity goes compared to plexi, lexan is identical when veiwed side by side.

Okay so after alot of reading and some research into it I have decided to produce replacement windows for the Sunraders curved front plexiglass.

The ones that are originally from the factory are plexiglass (or if you prefer, plexicrap) and they have no UV resistance whatsoever, and I am guessing the 375 dollar replacement ones dont either (I find it funny the owner of sunrader kept making replacement windows loooong after Sunrader has been gone, go figure)

I will have a breakage/cracking warranty on each window, other than an auto accident (which I doubt will break it) these are VERY break resistant, I can bend one in a circle and it will bounce back every time without cracking. BTW conveinance store bullet proof windows are made out of polycarbonate, I am not saying these are bullet proof but they wont shatter like plexicrap does, the bullet would leave a small hole only.

I will not have these available until late december, I do have the mold made and am negotiating a deal with a company to mass produce these for me (and no, they wont be anywhere close to 375 a peice) I will include both gaskets.

any suggestions?

I believe there are 4 to 6 different sizes. I could be wrong though. Just a heads up so you won't encounter any surprises after shipping.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Like to know more about your window when complete.

He posted on Yahoo campers group this morning.First in a long time there too. Maybe he will show up here soon

Linda S

Bryan B's last post was late Sept. Last active Oct 22 2011 Kinda looks like the replacement window business has not materialized. Bryan are you out there?

• 2 months later...

okay, so I cant log in under Bryan B so here I am!!

been on here for a bit under MaxxFabrication.

Windows for the 210 RKB are done and being shipped to me- my Lexan/polycarbonate guy had a death in the family and was out of town dealing with family matters and I havent bugged him about these, he contacted me with an apology and they were shipped out yesterday. I will post up pics of the install in my Sunrader later this week.

I am using a local window/glass company for the rubber gaskets which are generic and available in large rolls.

there are 2 styles of gasket available- 1 has a piece that fits in to make the seal a bit tighter (2 piece design) and the other is like the standard window seal we all have (1 piece design).

I will post up what and where to measure to be sure I am getting all the styles/sizes that were made in the front of a Sunrader.

Prices would be good too. I'm sure you'll get some response. The older bigger windows especially. They are 800 bucks at Advantage

Linda S

okay, so I cant log in under Bryan B so here I am!!

been on here for a bit under MaxxFabrication.

Windows for the 210 RKB are done and being shipped to me- my Lexan/polycarbonate guy had a death in the family and was out of town dealing with family matters and I havent bugged him about these, he contacted me with an apology and they were shipped out yesterday. I will post up pics of the install in my Sunrader later this week.

I am using a local window/glass company for the rubber gaskets which are generic and available in large rolls.

there are 2 styles of gasket available- 1 has a piece that fits in to make the seal a bit tighter (2 piece design) and the other is like the standard window seal we all have (1 piece design).

I will post up what and where to measure to be sure I am getting all the styles/sizes that were made in the front of a Sunrader.

Prices would be good too. I'm sure you'll get some response. The older bigger windows especially. They are 800 bucks at Advantage

Linda S

do you mean the side windows linda? I am only making the front wrap around windows- the plexi "stuff"

I will have pricing when I get the bill on them, I had 10 pairs made for starters and the bill will be in with my shipment.

Early Sunraders had larger front wrap around windows. like this and like I said cost 800 dollars each to replace at Advantage RV. See no room for clearance lights. Crap it won't let me post the picture. Just google 1980 Sunrader and you can see them

med_gallery_743_309_557461.jpg

LS

Finally got this one to take. it's the camper but the motorhomes had the same windows in the front. Big

do you mean the side windows linda? I am only making the front wrap around windows- the plexi "stuff"

I will have pricing when I get the bill on them, I had 10 pairs made for starters and the bill will be in with my shipment.

Early Sunraders had larger front wrap around windows. like this and like I said cost 800 dollars each to replace at Advantage RV. See no room for clearance lights. Crap it won't let me post the picture. Just google 1980 Sunrader and you can see them

med_gallery_743_309_557461.jpg

LS

Finally got this one to take. it's the camper but the motorhomes had the same windows in the front. Big

WOW- those are big!! if someone can get me measurements and I can come up with something. my Lexan/poly guy is located in Mo as well (that where I am at) so I can get the measurements to him

I'd be interested in getting new gaskets (driver's side is badly fitted). Also, it seems as though the driver's window comes up about 1/8th inch too short in the mid section divider. Had to caulk with silicone and it eventually failed. I have an '89 Sunrader. Is that enough info? I'd like a price list, if possible, for windows AND gaskets. Thanks alot!

Mick

Bryan sounds like you might want to make the windows a bit oversized. Then they could be sanded to size. It seem that the cutouts in a Rader were cut by eyeball.

Bryan sounds like you might want to make the windows a bit oversized. Then they could be sanded to size. It seem that the cutouts in a Rader were cut by eyeball.

AHH, but I did!! they are about 5-6mm larger all the way around added to its diameter (2.5-3 on each side) . I will need to get measurements to make other Sunrader windows for other models, but I am assuming they will be "undersized" as well, so the 4-5mm will be added when cut and one can always file/sand/grind to fit if it is a tiny bit over.

you can remove the window and gasket then place your window in the opening (without gasket) to see how much it is off from the opening, the amount of room between window and cut out opening is more than the gaskets slightly less than 1/4 of thickness between the 2. I am guessing it helped with assembly (and helped with the leaks!) but using the "string" method of window installation will fit the tighter seal into the opening with no problem, maybe a little water based lubricant will help with the installation as well.

found out after talking to my lexan guy that the ones coming today are clear, the price will be slightly lower for untinted, and I am only able to get 2 styles of tint, one is the typical smoke and the other is a bronze like finish- kinda cool, I will post up a pic of the sample materials when they get here.

[

I know this is an old post--do you have these windows?

Thanks!

quote name=Bryan B' timestamp='1317186396' post='23735]

any suggestions?

I changed my screen name BTW, I had a hard time logging in so I had to make a new account. you quoted what I said originally under Bryan B. read my above post on the windows

I do! but they are clear, and no UV resistance... mistake was made by my Lexan guy, not me

next ones are coming, I am not sure how the non UV resistant ones will hold up- I dont have any experience with lexan and UV light, well not yet at least.

I dont have a clue how it was overlooked not to have the UV resistant Lexan, but is is being corrected. he knew these will be going on RVs so I guess he will eat the cost of the first batch.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

whats stopping you from sawzalling the entire front and making one wrap around window? by the time youre paying that much make a permanent solution.

would enhance the value of your sunrader too

• 1 month later...

After battling with one of those blankety-blank windows today, I am leaning towards just glassing the hole over. Been doing a little reading on fiberglass boat repair which is basically what these things are.

I know some have done this. Is there a thread here covering it?

• 6 months later...

i am looking for a front window, you have any still

Wrap around front windows are available at Advantage RV in Napa Ca. Takes about a month from order to pick up and they charge 100 bucks for installation. Last time I checked the windows were $275 but that was a couple of years ago.

https://plus.google.com/110828838801091875269/about?gl=us&hl=en#110828838801091875269/about?gl=us&hl=en

Linda S

Well I finally got up the courage to try making a curved window for '82 sunrader. Attached a scrap of 3" ABS pipe to end of work bench got out heat gun & went to work. I cut it with a cutoff wheel on 4" angle grinder. Went better than I had expected. I got tinted plexiglass at local glass shop $140 for 4X8 sheet. I encourage you to try it.

Well I finally got up the courage to try making a curved window for '82 sunrader. Attached a scrap of 3" ABS pipe to end of work bench got out heat gun & went to work. I cut it with a cutoff wheel on 4" angle grinder. Went better than I had expected. I got tinted plexiglass at local glass shop $140 for 4X8 sheet. I encourage you to try it.

Well done! If they don't find you handsome - they might as well find you handy - red green show.

Post some pictures up, would love to see your handy work!

Yes I would love to see pics too.I need to do the same thing. Did you make a pattern to cut the new one or was your old window still mostly intact to trace it or something. Cutting it to fit worries me more than bending it. did you buy new rubber seal?

Linda S

Th old window was intact enough that I could us it for a pattern. The hardest part was to determine the length I made it about a 1/4" longer each way. I cut it down several times in stages to be sure it was not too small. I used WD40 to lube the old rubber. I did not use new gasket old seemed ok. I tried to put a picture on this site once some thing about "size" my computer "skills" very suspect.

Thanks Karin I guess "simple" is a relative term. I had tried to put pictures on the for sale site a couple years ago did not work so I have been using craigslist because it takes the pictures off my camera. I'll have to try again. My cell phone is just a "phone".