Lexus 4.0 V8 conversion into Toyota V6 and 4cyl

I am doing a swap into a customers motor home using a lexus V8, I figured since I joined the forum I would post up some of the info. I will post up a pic of the 8cyl in a 4runner with the same engine compartment as the later 1989 and up Toyota motorhomes.

This engine is a very over looked engine and VERY overabundant to say the least.

Swapping one into the 4x4 version isnt any different than into a 2wd version, we (my company-Maxx Fabrication/Maxx Performance) produces bolt in motor mounts to bolt this engine into the 6 and 4 cyl. Toyota no modification. an aftermarket radiator is required as well as an external transmission cooler(for autos).

manual trans swap are more costly by about 1000.00 due to clutch disk, trans adapter etc.

engine details- Lexus 1UZFE came in 1990-1997 Lexus LS/SC400s.

V8 HP- 260-280 V6 HP-150

The engine weighs 60 pounds lighter than a current 3.0, gas mileage actually increases (if you keep your foot out of it) over the 4 cyl and 6 because of the effort required to move your motorhomes.

The below pic is with most of the V6 wiring and accesories in place still, engine swap is much cleaner than what this pic conveys.

post-5618-0-22056800-1315780113_thumb.jp

Edited by Bryan B

HI Bryan--interesting. Could you give me some idea of the total cost of doing this? Where is your company? Thanks--Charlie

I am doing a swap into a customers motor home using a lexus V8, I figured since I joined the forum I would post up some of the info. I will post up a pic of the 8cyl in a 4runner with the same engine compartment as the later 1989 and up Toyota motorhomes.

This engine is a very over looked engine and VERY overabundant to say the least.

Swapping one into the 4x4 version isnt any different than into a 2wd version, we (my company-Maxx Fabrication/Maxx Performance) produces bolt in motor mounts to bolt this engine into the 6 and 4 cyl. Toyota no modification. an aftermarket radiator is required as well as an external transmission cooler(for autos).

manual trans swap are more costly by about 1000.00 due to clutch disk, trans adapter etc.

engine details- Lexus 1UZFE came in 1990-1997 Lexus LS/SC400s.

V8 HP- 260-280 V6 HP-150

The engine weighs 60 pounds lighter than a current 3.0, gas mileage actually increases (if you keep your foot out of it) over the 4 cyl and 6 because of the effort required to move your motorhomes.

The below pic is with most of the V6 wiring and accesories in place still, engine swap is much cleaner than what this pic conveys.

That's a neat fit now how much does a used Lexus V8 cost? I can't imagine they are real cheap much less the labor involved.

That's a neat fit now how much does a used Lexus V8 cost? I can't imagine they are real cheap much less the labor involved.

beleive it or not you can usually buy the entire lexus car (wrecked) and part it out and make money when its all said and done

. search local papers and craigslist, most I see go for around 500-1000. you can sell the 4 cat. convertors alone for over 300 and all the switches and interior parts go quick (find a lexus forum to unload all of it) so its unbelievably economical.

Toybox, I am in St.louis Mo. cost is depending on who does the work and what all options you want.

Great Job! :ThumbUp:

How much are your engine mounts? (89 Toyota with the V6)

I see there is a 1UZ with trans for $400 in the local craigslist...hummm :-)

Bryan B.

Great looking swap. I've been dreaming about a swap since I bought my rig. One question I have is about the aftermarket radiator. I know of these radiators that bolt right in but are listed as being 5" taller, or in other words extend 5" lower than the stock one. In my '88 2wd 4 cyl the area directly under the rad is blocked by brackets attached to the front end allignment rods. How did you fit in a radiator large enough; I live in the desert southwest and need all the cooling I can get.

Seamus McShank

Nice swap Bryan,

It looks fairly tight in there. I'm assuming your using a very thin rad, would you post the dimensions and vendor. Are you suing the Lexus tranny or have you bolted up the existing 4speed auto? How many problems did you have with ECU compatibility? What other issues did you encounter?

You've given us a very good teaser, but several of us now need the details, including costing.

Thank you for getting numerous members interested in the Lexus swap.

YVR (Ron)

beleive it or not you can usually buy the entire lexus car (wrecked) and part it out and make money when its all said and done

. search local papers and craigslist, most I see go for around 500-1000. you can sell the 4 cat. convertors alone for over 300 and all the switches and interior parts go quick (find a lexus forum to unload all of it) so its unbelievably economical.

Toybox, I am in St.louis Mo. cost is depending on who does the work and what all options you want.

That's nice now I have a parted out Lexus missing a bunch of parts including the most valuable one in my yard lot of oil and antifreeze on the ground a bad back and a rented engine lift, jack stands etc. to take back. So I guess I'll rephrase that how much is a Lexus engine sitting in my yard from Fred's junk yard?

That's nice now I have a parted out Lexus missing a bunch of parts including the most valuable one in my yard lot of oil and antifreeze on the ground a bad back and a rented engine lift, jack stands etc. to take back. So I guess I'll rephrase that how much is a Lexus engine sitting in my yard from Fred's junk yard?

I totally understand, car-part.com, an engine and tranny can be had from the same yard for 600.

When you buy an entire car you get so many extras that save you ALOT of trips or purchases.

Bunneys- Our engine mounts run 150.00

Mcshank- we use either a griffin or an Afco radiator and a ford taurus fan (you heard me right!! a ford taurus!?) the hot rod world has been using these fans for years to cool some serious HP cars. they move so much air it drowns out the engine noise when they come on. we mod them of course to make them 2 inches thinner for a total of around 6 inches of radiator and fan. core support gets trimmed 3/4s of an inch on each side of factory radiator.

YVR- we use the factory 4 speed auto, a manual can be done. a couple companys make bellhousings and clutch kits ($$$) and no probs with ECU(factory wirig manuals are your freind!), you just have to be well versed in automotive wiring and reading said documents.

Bluefever- you are correct, 260 HP and 270 ft lb of torque on the SC(coupe) as well.

Toyotas #s are very conservative- we put an LS (stock) on the dyno and cosistantly got overe 280 HP and around the same torque #s and the torque comes on where you need it, nice and low to mid

side note- the Lexus LS400 alternator puts out 120 amps and the SC400 is 160 amps- now thats some serious juice, much better than say the 90 amp upgrades alot of peeps do. (and yes, I know the wiring needs to be upgraded to handle the amps- this isnt my first rodeo)

There's a boneyard near me parting out an early 90s ls400 on CL. the add says "bad engine" any guesses what this likely is? how rebuildable are they? how expensive?

if it's a t-belt failure, does it mean new pistons/valves?

if i could get the engine cheap enough, it might be worth taking a chance.

Bryan,

Thanks for your additional information. When you say "factory 4 speed auto", would that be the original tranny from the Toyota motorhome? If so how did the attachment to the engine go - ie, any issues with bolt up?

Perhaps you can shoot a series of photo's for us including the exhaust system .

If I drove my motorhome into your shop, do you have a ballpark figure on how much would this conversion would cost?

Many thanks,

YVR (Ron)

Just did a search on car-parts.com the cheapest Lexus V8 engine I found was $2200.

car-part, no S

There's a boneyard near me parting out an early 90s ls400 on CL. the add says "bad engine" any guesses what this likely is? how rebuildable are they? how expensive?

if it's a t-belt failure, does it mean new pistons/valves?

if i could get the engine cheap enough, it might be worth taking a chance.

dont waste your money, used with moderate miles, you dont want more of an expense with another project

Bryan,

Thanks for your additional information. When you say "factory 4 speed auto", would that be the original tranny from the Toyota motorhome? If so how did the attachment to the engine go - ie, any issues with bolt up?

Perhaps you can shoot a series of photo's for us including the exhaust system .

If I drove my motorhome into your shop, do you have a ballpark figure on how much would this conversion would cost?

Many thanks,

YVR (Ron)

email me at maxxfabrication@yahoo.com we can discuss details, many variables to work out and explain. here is a photo of a 1UZFE in a 92 toy engine bay (my 4runner, same exact bay as motorhome trucks)

post-5618-0-94153100-1315994665_thumb.jp

Edited by Bryan B

• 1 month later...

Bryan,

What about JDM sources. JDM distributors usually only have engines or long blocks ($500 to $800) but I saw a complete pull-out '94 iuzfe w/ auto trans, ecu, alternator, ac, power steering pump, etc. available for $1900 delivered to my door. No need to match components or electronics since all original wiring is still in place. As far as installing a larger radiator, in my '88 4 cyl. 2WD there are heavy metal braces, or gussets, that support the front end allignmnt rods and they fasten to the front end below the radiator, thus blocking the bolt-in types that hang 5" lower. Are the radiators you mentioned the same dimension as my stock one, just thicker cores? Where I live the temps are over 100 all summer. And your company makes motor mounts? Can you give estimates of costs involved in this swap? The more I read about this swap on UZSwap or Lextreme the more I want to do this, just still a little nervous about the unknown.

Seamus McShank

Bryan,

I just noticed you mentioned the engine compartment in a '89 is the same as 4runner. Is there a difference between my '88 and your '89 that changes this swap?

Seamus McShank

your engine compartment came with a V6 in some of the models (you didnt mention if yours was or not) so yes it will fit in your compartment.

one thing to note, I use an Afco Radiator- it requires at least a 1 inch body lift, I have been in the works with Afco to make an inch and a half shorter version for 2 wheel drives and or motorhomes.

You can source other radiators, the limiting factor is width 21-22 inches, and height of no more than 17 in motorhomes or 2wd trucks.

Bryan,

On UZSwap.com there is a lot of info for Toyotas and in one section they seperate 'gen 2' as the generation up tp 1988 and a 'gen 3' that covers 1989 and newer. I don't think any ToyHomes were available in '88 with a V6. I want to make sure the gen 3 changes did not affect the dimensions of the engine compartment before I move forward.

Seamus

some questions that immediately come to mind,

• what would the rig get for MPG after the swap...8?
  • why not go buy a Ford Econoline class C turbo diesel if the answer is less than 11 and sell toyota? The increase in living space, pop outs and ability to burn french fry oil would be far better and net cost lower (I've seen them for $6900 $9000 with the bullet proof powerstroke non turbo)
  • what would this do to GWVR?
  • braking? brakes were designed around much less weight; weve already overloaded whats here... now adding a V8?

• 4 weeks later...

Bryan B.

I have found a radiator that will fit nicely with no modifiaction. Its an aftermarket aluminum 4 row made for an early 60's Mustang V8. Brand name is Champion and I found it on Ebay here in Phoenix for under $300. Went to "Oscar's" shop The Taurus fan will cover nicely and there are many used fans available. My search for the perfect engine to swap keeps coming back to the late 90's Camaro or Firebird 3.8 V6 because its a little smaller, will fit easier, stock manifolds will clear the frame rails, Ward's Best Engine, OBDII, SFI, plenty of power and easy to find. The 1UZ just looks so tight in the compartment. I'm still just planning this swap and won't have time to do it until next summer.

Seamus McShank

• 2 weeks later...

some questions that immediately come to mind,

• what would the rig get for MPG after the swap...8?
  • why not go buy a Ford Econoline class C turbo diesel if the answer is less than 11 and sell toyota? The increase in living space, pop outs and ability to burn french fry oil would be far better and net cost lower (I've seen them for $6900 $9000 with the bullet proof powerstroke non turbo)
  • what would this do to GWVR?
  • braking? brakes were designed around much less weight; weve already overloaded whats here... now adding a V8?

as for mileage, the trucks that have done the swaps have all reported improved mileage since they are no longer driving "with their foot in it" trying to get the truck up to speed.

so 1. mile would increase over what you are getting now, your engine is no longer struggling to get up to speed or maintain speed.

2. the powerstroke may be bulletproof in your opinion but its still wrapped in a ford wrapper. enough said, you still have "toyota" reliability, this V8 is a 300,000 mile engine

3. I dont know, what would it to to the GVWR? that would be G V W R not G W V R. I am guessing if you have a V6 truck the GVWR would increase by the 60 pounds that it is lightened up by removing a heavy cast iron engine and replacing it with an aluminum block engine.

4. braking? I am guessing that it would be better since you lightened the truck by 60 lbs. just because the horsepower is there does not mean it will make your truck "just take off out of control" so "now adding a V8" wont change a thing to overload your truck. can you explain how this would happen with a lighter engine?

these are all facts, nothing more to post on this subject to counteract invalid, not well thought out silly responses condemning a great swap.

Mcshank, the V6 came in 88 trucks with the same 3.0 as 89-95. I dont know if any 88 motorhomes came with 1 but they do fit the 88 compartments the same as 89-95s. I owned an 884runner V6, same amount of space in engine compartment believe it or not (give or take 1/4-1/2 inch here or there)

FWIW, the Lexus LS400 and SC400 the 1UZFE came in have a top speed of 145... yep that is 145, how many of you have seen any LS or SCs going, lets just say 100? the power is there right? you may have had one leave you at a stop light but never have you seen one going 145. the brakes on these cars are no larger than your cab chassis trucks are and the LS 400 is a damn heavy car(a GVWR of 5600LBS) - ever seen one have a hard time stopping because of the V8 in it? no, I didnt think you would.

I do love when someone brings a knife to a gun fight..................

Edited by MAXXFabrication

MAXXFabrication'

I do love when someone brings a knife to a gun fight...............

I'll love to do the Lexus swap, wouldn't you get more enging braking from the V8 ?? on the other hand don't the newer cars seem to get much better braking from about the same size brakes ??? It seems to me I am not getting much braking from the rears from our Dolphin. We replaced all the brakes, seals and front hoses. Maybe should'a replaced the rear hose also (forgot) and just bypass the valve??

vanman

Since the motorhomes empty are close to the GVWR and loaded usually well over the GVWR, the adjusting valve is totally useless and if not properly adjusted, dangerous. If you've beef up the rear springs or pumped up the air springs since the valve was last adjusted (if ever), the valve will 'think' you're a lightly loaded pickup and reduce rear braking accordingly.

Derek

What you posted is exactly what happened to me when i put in the air bags! We drove the Toy about 600 miles home and the brakes were OK,nothing to brag about but for a 6000lb vehicle with 1/2 ton pickup brakes about as good as you could expect.Got it home and did alot of work on it including air bag install.We started out on a 2500mile trip and WOW the brakes were really poor,first place i got to i got out the shop manual and ran the adjustment all the way up and the brakes are back to normal,still not great but OK if you push hard enough.Maybe there should be a "sticky" about this so new members would be made aware of the situation. Don

Maxx & Bryan:

Fun stuff! I've been following the different swaps for the 3.0, but am not too familiar with this one and some of the challenges. A lot of the 3.0 swaps other than the 3.4, seem to require moving the 5speed R150 trans back a few inches and thus new driveshafts and crossmembers etc. Was wondering if this is the same case w/ the lexus. Also read that the IFS might get in the way of oilpan and would also require a small lift? The 2 lexus swaps I've read about were both 22re/SAS. Look forward to reading more about this.

Derek, OldDiesel, Vanman:

Good point on the brakes. Myself, since my camper is portable, the GVWR goes from close to 5,000#'s to probably around 3,000# (haven't weighed truck alone). The valve should work automatically for the different loads as it was designed to do, but I also have airbags installed now. So there are a lot of different things going on w/ my rear axle load. Any suggestions as to what should be done with my brake regulator w/ air bags and different loads? Looking at it, the mechanical arm looks all bent out of shape btw and prob isn't working properly as it is. The PO had a 4" lift (block) under the axle.

Agree the brake valve adjustment should be a sticky or at least a separate topic.

EDIT:

There is a new topic pinned at the top of this forum regarding brakes started by Twoblocked here:

Proportional brake valve

Maxx & Bryan:

Fun stuff! I've been following the different swaps for the 3.0, but am not too familiar with this one and some of the challenges. A lot of the 3.0 swaps other than the 3.4, seem to require moving the 5speed R150 trans back a few inches and thus new driveshafts and crossmembers etc. Was wondering if this is the same case w/ the lexus. Also read that the IFS might get in the way of oilpan and would also require a small lift? The 2 lexus swaps I've read about were both 22re/SAS. Look forward to reading more about this.

Derek, OldDiesel, Vanman:

Good point on the brakes. Myself, since my camper is portable, the GVWR goes from close to 5,000#'s to probably around 3,000# (haven't weighed truck alone). The valve should work automatically for the different loads as it was designed to do, but I also have airbags installed now. So there are a lot of different things going on w/ my rear axle load. Any suggestions as to what should be done with my brake regulator w/ air bags and different loads? Looking at it, the mechanical arm looks all bent out of shape btw and prob isn't working properly as it is. The PO had a 4" lift (block) under the axle.

Agree the brake valve adjustment should be a sticky or at least a separate topic.

EDIT:

There is a new topic pinned at the top of this forum regarding brakes started by Twoblocked here:

Proportional brake valve

I am searching for an RV with a bad engine right now so I can get one of these swaps knocked out and running to post up numbers and let some local RV'rs drive and post up opinions afterward.

The IFS should not be an issue, I am installing a lexus 4.0 into a 1992 4x4 IFS right now and no issues with that and many 2wds have been done before, the SC400 oilpan/sump is of a rear sump design and the LS400 is of a front/mid sump design, so with just those 2 choices it allows for easier placement (both are interchangeable with one anothers engine) add to that the 4.7 liter engine by toyota has the same mounting pattern for its pan and can be used as well (2wd/4wd tundra and the landcruiser UJ100) so thats a total of 5 diferent pan choices for these engines to be able to swap in and "custom" fit.

The 4.7 tundra engine uses the same block but is cast iron, the Lexus heads can be bolted on for more horsepower for a cheap junkyard mod.

these are the "UZ" family of toyotas engines, overseas the same lexus here is a toyota soarer (SC400) and toyota crown (LS400) so for those thinking "what?!! a lexus in my toyota!!!?" no, its a toyota in a toyota

• 1 month later...

Bryan

I think this might be the wrong thread, but...Have you mounted the 16" rims and tires on the front. If you have, how was the turning clearance??

• 1 month later...

I'm a bit late in this conversation, but this is completely awesome.

well, when are we doing it!?!! email me (I cant log in under maxxfabrication, some1 doesnt like me lol) I had to open a second acct.

• 2 years later...