How much can it tow?

Jeffro

I'm just trying to get my head around your picture. Is this view from where the passenger side wheels live, looking to the rear? Is that a grey or black water tank mounted in the center (between the frame extensions), in front of the bumper?

Yep, Passenger-side looking back. Yes, that is a Black or Grey tank mounted in the center there... :)

SWEET Welds! by now I figured someone would have produced a failed frame story, but still none.

The Government recommends against drinking but that never stopped me.

As for transmissions and engines; I'd expect the trans to go well before the Motor if you are packing a 22R(E).

You know what Derek? If I drop a motor in mine other than another 22re it will be a diesel, like that out of a Jeep Liberty or TDI. Very similar characteristics (great low end torque and mileage increase would be almost guaranteed.)

The move to diesel opens the doors to fry-daddying, Veg fuel, Bio Diesel and the soon to be on the market algae diesel.

In a SHTF scenerio could burn kerosene also. So many choices.

if you see me doing a swap it will only be after my OEM stuff is dead and gone. I'll prolly need to hire a body guard to protect me from you and Maxxfabrication when it comes to weight added at that point too. lol

I'm trying to figure out how your proposed swap would be acceptable with a Tdi (VW or Audi) or the CRD (VM Motori) and would be less of a Frankenmobile than with a Lexus (by Toyota)? I guess a French Fry burner is more acceptable than a Rice burner! :ThumbUp:

As for the body guard, I'd have thought the opposite would be more likely!

if you see me doing a swap it will only be after my OEM stuff is dead and gone. I'll prolly need to hire a body guard to protect me from you and Maxxfabrication when it comes to weight added at that point too. lol

You've got me curious now, totem. How much does your rig weigh with your scooters and such, ready for the road?

I took my Itasca to a weigh station on the way out of town for the summer, it was 6,380#. Front axle was 2150#. Rear axle was 4230#.

My weight ratings are:

GAWR Front: 2,300#

GAWR Rear: 4,400#

GVWR: 6,000#

Oh, and by the way. I think maybe the reason you have not gotten a response to your "produce a failed frame story" is that this is a spurious argument.

I feel the onus is on you to provide credible evidence overloaded Toyota motorhome frame extensions cannot fail.

Two Blocked: I don't know; I haven't weighed it only the scooters and rack and the weight would certainly be a fluctuating thing anyway depending on fluid and fuel.

The onus is still on you. produce a failed frame from towing please.

*referencing a cracked suspicious unknown prospective purchase with missing pictures doesn't pass the spuriousness test. It MUST be a known frame fail from towing.

From the reference given we don't even know if the vehicle in question even has a hitch...Since I wrote the test I grade the answer; not enough information, sorry NOT well done more like bloody to rare.

Derek is infamous for speculation and Devils advocate logic as evidenced by his choosing to quote the dry weight of a UZ minus parts when the entire weight was clearly listed first in order to make it appear much lighter than it actually was.

shit.gif

Actually, I chose that weight of the 1UZ because it's description seemed to most closely match the description of a 22RE in the same list. Wet weight? The first 1UZ weight included a gearbox (and presumably a flywheel). You really expect that to compare favorably with a 22RE with no gearbox & flywheel? BTW, the weight of the A43D automatic is listed at 110lbs (not sure if a torque converter is included) if you feel inclined to do some more number crunching.

Am I to understand your logic? You think that towing will decrease the chance of frames cracking? They apparently crack even without the added stresses of towing.

http://toyotamotorhome.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=1769&st=0&p=7862&hl="cracked%20frame"&fromsearch=1entry7862

"Derek is infamous for speculation and Devils advocate logic ..." I had no idea. I thought I tried to make logical points and back them up with reliable sources. Something I often invite others to do.

"Think twice, type once!" - Anon

• 10 months later...

1986 Dolphin 900 with 93000 mi., i have done some towing that i wouldn't do again, my receiver hitch is mounted between the frame and in 1992 I towed a 1973 VW wheels down from East Tennessee to Tampa FL. 750 miles I-75 at 65 miles per, not proud of that just young and dumb, also carried a 12 foot fiberglass sailboat on top from Marblehead Mass. to Tampa 1500 miles, then towed a small utility trailer with 350 lb. motor scooter from East TN. to Atlanta GA and back and that one i would probably do again although i think i would install breaks on anything i might try to tow again, so far i haven't had any major mechanical problems yet, of course look out now, I've had mine since new and do keep up with all maint.

someone here reinforced the frame in the back and towed a geo metro, similar weight to a smart car across the country, with a 22re motorhome.

the biggest problem is the frame. if you can attach the hitch to the actual frame and not the extension

i can see brakes being the 2nd problem

id need to have a direct link to pictures of the tow bar modifications.

Im interested in doing this myself. Ive owned and towed geo metros before too. better to tow than a smart car because its a manual tranny. although longer.

i can see brakes being the 2nd problem

Toyota rated the 1-Ton SRW at 8500lb (GCWR). I've never seen a GCWR for the 1-Ton DRW, but I doubt it's less. At highway speeds, aerodynamic drag will assist your braking. Going down a steep incline you might want to add trailer brakes or a 'Brake Buddy' if flat towing.

If flat towing, tongue weight is basically zero, so all the forces will feed horizontally, so frame reinforcements should be designed to transfer them to the truck frame.

I have a hard time stopping in city driving towing nothing. I would be towing a vehicle on the freeway in the middle of the night with that set up, not ready for a quick stop in urban traffic.

im not sure what the brakes on mine are but I know it is a half one ton half half ton still.

mine is not its a half tone with retrofitted 1 ton rear end.

Im not positive either brakes were upgraded actually if the half ton brakes can fit in a 1 ton rear end....

but if they were i would bet only the rears were upgraded.

I think they do have to be upgraded to have a full floating rear im not sure thats a good question.

• 2 years later...

Recently I've had a 2x5 cargo rack loaded up with wood as well as a 5x8 trailer loaded with a golf cart behind my 1990 21ft Sunrader with 183,000 miles and it seemed fine. I wouldn't go far with the trailer but if you're going <60mph I'd feel comfortable enough.

I was thinking more about what the differences are between the 1/2 Ton, 1-Ton SRW and 1-Ton DRW.

Dual rear wheel trucks with front wheels to match have larger diameter brake rotors. The brake calipers are the same as light trucks but are held out further by different brackets to catch the larger circumference of the bigger rotors. That gives more leverage and more stopping power.

yep, the first thing to look for if you are adding the beefier brakes and 1ton fronts is the dust shields from a 1 ton setup. kinda tough to find.

You can still get the dust covers from Toyota. These are the part numbers for the dust covers for a 1990 double tire model

Left - 47782-35080

Right - 47781-35080

Linda S

• 4 years later...
On 12/3/2011 at 12:46 PM, Totem said:

My Sunrader is the 21 footer to answer the question. Frame when we looked at it had solid box tube frame (not c channel) all the way down stock and the whale tail extension also did along with some beefy bolts and welds; I just looked under there again after this article; aside from ugly rust looks straight as an arrow. How could yours have a C channel? aren't all the chassis the same?

The tongue weight of the steel 25 ft long triple toon trailer I towed for 4 miles had to be more than the cargo carrier used in the LA trip. I can't easily even lift the toon trailer.

Like you said we hit a couple big dippers usually at the valley of a big hill at top speed and the rig swelled down. I can say this though of my setup; My trailer tongue is permanent hitch welded; no receiver; thus I added a 4-bolt on Bumper receiver for the cargo carrier. The physics of this are important because the bumper mounted receiver is much closer to the frame than that of a protruding towing hitch which acts like a lever on a fulcrum. the closer you can mount the weight to the rig the better.

Besides, there are people in here mounting 210 KG Lexus V8 motors in these frames and not worrying about its stress then claiming it weighs less than a 160 KG 22RE, :gun:

Derek I doubt it would be a wheely machine more likely a death trap going down hill when a deer pops out fully loaded with people and gear at 110 MPH with stock brakes.

We always load "Grannies attic" with gear when en route to front place the weight and I wold also recommend this.

Hey Totem!

I’d love to learn more about these scooters. What is the name of the company that makes them?

Thanks!

-Michael