the 5 cylinder in the sprinter is not the OM617. It is a much newer design. More HP, probably more efficient, but, I still prefer the old OM617. All of those newer engines use aluminum heads. Aluminum heads aren't terribly fond of 25/1 compression. Give me good old cast iron any day with a diesel.

a super charger uses gas though definnitely its not a turbo charrger.

A minor point - but a turbocharger IS a type of supercharger. What is called today a "turbocharger" is an exhaust driven supercharger. Years back they were more commonly called "altitude compensators." Putting boost into an engine rarely makes it more fuel efficient. What is does though is allow a small engine to behave like a big engine when the power is needed. When not - and the boost and fuel delivery is down - it can behave like a small engine and get good fuel mileage. Adding boost raises the "effective compression ratio" and subsequently - some boosted engines run lower mechanical compression ratios that sometimes hurts performance when not under boost from any sort of turbo/belt/gear driven supercharger and/or intercooling. That being said, some new engines are getting the best of both worlds but also cost a small fortune.

I really think the toyhome would love the dohc and the vtec type technologies almost more than any vehicle.

Its a wot type of thing on the freeway it just needs that opening the valves for the dead spot, like is in the sc previa or any modern car.

I mean since the 90s.

The 3.4 has that technology and its a good fit but Id rather actually have the 1.9 liter dohc vtec type motors in a modern corrolla or civic type of car.

Can anyone help me with tranny swap questions? I have the 3 speed auto w/OD currently in my '87 Dolphin (22RE) and want to swap it out for a 5-speed manual. I'm a bit confused about what exact trans I should be looking for? Is it a W56 or something different? Also does it need to be specific to a 2WD truck (no transfer case)?

Also can you provide a basic overview of the project? I would think that the manual should bolt up to the engine and then of course holes have to be made in the firewall for a clutch master & the appropriate plumbing run to the slave, a hole in the tunnel for the shifter. The pedal setup has to be switched to a manual set (this can be taken from a donor truck at the yard?).

What tranny mount/crossmember issues will I encounter & will the driveline need to be modified (shortened as the manual is going to be longer, right?). I guess the wiring for the b/u lights will also have to be modified...any ECM issues?

I really have no clue how to do this but don't worry, I'll be sure to get qualified help in actually performing the swap. Any information you guys (and gals of course) can provide in helping me understand the basic process would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You!

There are a number of V6 and V8 engines that can be swapped into a Toyota. Some of these are discussed in the following link http://www.mindspring.com/~jayk3/toyota/swaps.htm#Engine

both these links do full kits and i mean everything to the strict australian standards as need to be to get certain things legal here

http://www.dellowconversions.com.au/

http://www.rodshop.com.au/

Fit? Yes. It's a matter of how much work, more than a matter of if it will fit. A Chevy 350 will fit...

But unless you have a line on a really cheap 3.0 in excellent shape, I'd say that if you're going to do all the work involved in a swap, the 3.0 V6 is NOT the engine to go with. There are much better ones out there.

Everyone talks about the 3z in a toyhome but is there anyone that has done it?

Wheres the gas mileage in that one? 3z is starting to get really cheap in used jap engine sites.

I dont have the kind of set up to do something like that I just like to daydream about it.

Any thing within reason will fit deep pockets play a major part in this. The 6 will fit but the wiring is complete different as is the ECU = wiring nightmare. Exhaust systems, motor mounts and tons of little pain in the butt parts. If you want to swap out the trans I would suggest buying a rusted out stick shift truck with the same engine this will save you countless trips to the junk yard to get yet another part you will need.

Fit? Yes. It's a matter of how much work, more than a matter of if it will fit. A Chevy 350 will fit...

But unless you have a line on a really cheap 3.0 in excellent shape, I'd say that if you're going to do all the work involved in a swap, the 3.0 V6 is NOT the engine to go with. There are much better ones out there.

If I had a pre-'89 and wanted more oomph I'd consider the 3RZ (2.7L, 150 hp @ 4800 RPM with 177 lb·ft of torque @ 4000 RPM).

If that wasn't enough, I'd look at the 1UZ-FE. (4L, 256 hp, torque of 260 lb·ft) :)

http://www.yotatech.com/f161/1989-pickup-1uz-fe-auto-dual-t-case-swap-207835/

http://www.rodshop.com.au/toyota/2wd-hilux.htm

Wow that looks pretty simple I'll jump right on that. Lets see I got $21.36 in my pocket and I need a good 250 amp mig welder a plasma cutter and a----.

Well so far as a toyhome the only swap ive seen made reality is the 3.4 and the 4.7

whereas what you want is the 2.7.

Engine swap math always gets to a exageration. If youre going crazy throe in the turbo diesel etc. The enginr cost is only a small part

I don't have a 22R-E, but from the bit of reading I've done the 3RZ-E is closest to a bolt-in swap.

22R-E (Early) - 105 hp (78 kW) at 4,800 rpm and 137 lb·ft (185 N·m) at 2,800 rpm.

22R-E (Late) - 112 hp (84 kW) at 4,600 rpm and 142 lb·ft (192 N·m) at 3,400 rpm.

3VZ-E - 150 hp (112 kW) at 4800 rpm and 180 lb·ft (244 N·m) at 3400 rpm.

3RZ-E - 150 hp (112 kW) at 4800 rpm and 177 lb·ft (240 N·m) at 4000 rpm.

1UZ-FE - 256 hp at 5600 rpm and 260 lb·ft at 4400 rpm. :)

One small edit is there are no toy homes with the early 22re. Only the early 22r

Thr truck also has a third 22re. There are no toyhomes with that eithet

There were other global engines but not in the MH's

78-80 2.2L 20R

81-83 2.4L 22R

83-88 2.4L 22RE

85-86 2.4L turbo 22RET

87- until Toy homes were no longer made 3L 3VZE

The 3VZE did not show up in MH's till 88 regestration

Im not sure what you are listing maineah but the 22re was for sale in toyota trucks until 1995.

For all known motorhomes the model years are 85 to 89

for america the early 22re is primarily in celicas.

But there is one year itS's in trucks which is 84.

its not in any 84 motorhomes

If you are listing engines in toyhomes theres no correlation between that list and reality.

The first year the 22re is in any toyhome is 1985

The 22r is still available in toyhomes until 88

the 2nd edition 22r starts in 85

Just finished this swap, it isn't in my Sunrader but it's a preview and test vehicle for what's to come this summer for my Toyhome.

83 Mercedes OM617 turbodiesel in 91 Toyota 4Runner:

post-7022-0-35645700-1390627101_thumb.jp

The first year of the v6 in toyhomes is 89

the first year of the 22r is 1980

the first year of the 20r is 1976

there is actually not one correct date on that list except thr 22ret.

Yes

Just like in the trucks the 22re and 22r were for sale at the same time. That covers all years of toyhomes with 22re.

In general the 22re is auto and the 22r is 4 speed manual from 85 to 88

Looks 'Factory'. Congratulations.

Have you done a write-up about the build anywhere?

Thanks. No I didn't do a write-up, I guess I should have but there's others that can be found on web. When I do my Sunrader I'll try and do a better job documenting the steps.

Youve got to be kidding. The majority of 85 toyhomes are 22r. A small percentage are 22re