Hi will try and get wife to take pictures this weekend. For the crossover best way I could figure was with engine on engine stand and crossover mounted get a acetalene torch and heat both pipes red hot and then with a

big bar in pipe bend then towards engine bellhousing area until they are about 1/4 inch from engine. I set engine in before bending crossover and it missed clearing frame by about half inch, bending as described makes it

clear, need to move fuel line away a bit and I put shielding between exhaust and fuel line. For alt I used 3.0 lower bracket and shortened it and mounted it from top bolt on thermostat housing, then you need to find a shorter

belt. You will need the evap canister and vsv also or it will set a check engine lite. Will try and answer your questions, I had researched the 4 by 4 forums alot but as I said before there are some differences with 2wd.

Jim

Hello Jim,

Like Andrew says were on our way over to check this out. Both of us have very seriously discussed swapping out the 3, for the 3.4 litre. Andrew has the engine and ECU, and wants to move ahead. On the other hand I would probably have someone perform the work, and would need the donor vehicle. You have broken new ground, because searching this sight and the Yahoo Campers you don't see folks who've swapped in the 3.4.

Please make sure you take lots of photo's. Of course there's nothing like seeing your handy work first hand. From your posting I'm assuming your in Alberta, for sure Andrew and I would definitely like to see your rig.

Thanks,

Ron

Edited by YVR

Yes I am in Alberta, Medicine Hat down here in the hot corner of Alberta. I am taking it to a muffler shop next week to get an exhaust system (proper) put on and my catalytic converter too off the T-100.

What I rigged up was temporary, no converter and is very loud which gets annoying on long drives which is the kind I usually go on. If wife has some time I will post some pictures in a day or two.

Jim

Jim,

We are anxiously awaiting the photo's of your engine swap, and important details you can highlight.

YVR (Ron)

"Happy wife, happy life." :angry02:

I've had two Buicks with the 3.8, a 95 Park Avenue and my current 2000 LaSabre. Great engine. Haven't seen the rear wheel drive version, but am having a hard time imagining it in my 84 Toyota. Would certainly consider it if it would fit.

Hi guys

I still havent got pictures up of my 3.4 swap as you can see. My wife has been working 6am to 8pm for the last while and not had chance to take and post pictures. Just finished putting electric fan on today, maybe get

.1 mpg better!! Am planning trip from Medicine Hat to Bella Coola BC this august so it will get a real workout going up the 17% or so grade out of Bella Coola. Got nice quiet exhaust put on so can hear myself think

in it now.

Jim

JIm,

Please check your personal mail. We will be transiting your city Monday the 24th, and would sure like to see your handy work.

YVR Ron

I had the pleasure of meeting board member "Jim" last week. He has installed the Toyota 3.4 engine from an extend cab 1995 T100 into his Itasca. Jim pointed out the problem areas he had such as the alternator bracket and the exhaust on the right side. I believe there were a couple of computer codes that caused a few minor problems as well. Jim also asked if I would like to take it for a drive. Well I must have had a smile a mile wide. For sure this is the engine that should have been standard equipment from the get go. I noticed better acceleration, and the ability to hold speeds above 60mph without difficulty.

I said that I would attempt to put some photo's of Jim's installation up on the site, so please bear with me as this is my first attempt to attach photo's.

If I can get the photo's up I hope Jim can add some text to explain his problem areas.

Before attempting to add several photo's can someone pls tell me if this pic is too large, or is it acceptable?

Well there was a photo there, and I suppose it was too large. I'll try later.

YVR (Ron)

Great Pictures YVR Ron ! :ThumbUp:

2011JulySaskatchewantoBCRondo046.jpg

2011JulySaskatchewantoBCRondo047.jpg

2011JulySaskatchewantoBCRondo048.jpg

2011JulySaskatchewantoBCRondo049.jpg

2011JulySaskatchewantoBCRondo050.jpg

2011JulySaskatchewantoBCRondo051.jpg

2011JulySaskatchewantoBCRondo052.jpg

2011JulySaskatchewantoBCRondo053.jpg

2011JulySaskatchewantoBCRondo054.jpg

2011JulySaskatchewantoBCRondo055.jpg

2011JulySaskatchewantoBCRondo056.jpg

2011JulySaskatchewantoBCRondo057.jpg

2011JulySaskatchewantoBCRondo058.jpg2011JulySaskatchewantoBCRondo061.jpg

2011JulySaskatchewantoBCRondo062.jpg

2011JulySaskatchewantoBCRondo063.jpg

And THANK YOU Jim !!! :ThumbUp:

Yes I used the original radiator, I had read that the 4by4 guys have no heating problems with it, infact some say it has more capacity than the 3.4 rad. Anyways the rad from my donor T-100 is too wide. I have done about 1000 miles

since transplant and temp guage stayed same as before. I do not run transmisson cooler lines through rad, didnt before either, I was using factory air to air cooler plus a smaller after market one, but during the swap I replaced them

with at 18000gvw aftermarket one. You see I have installed electric fan, just did that other day, however you can use the 3.0 rad, shroud and clutch fan and all fits as before.

Just for interests sake my customer with the most km on a 3.4 was in today. Its a 96 tacoma and has 653000 km, not even a valve cover has been off, I know as we sold it to him new and I have done all work on it, only timing belts etc.

we have 4 or 5 others who are past the 500000 and none have had anything other than normal maitenance so these are really good engines, trd also has a supercharger for them, now wouldnt that be nice!! I installed a supercharger

on a 2008 tundra 5.7 a couple of weeks ago. What a blast to drive, over 500 hp, think 13 sec quarter mile at about 105mph for a 5600 pound double cab. I would be in trouble all the time!

Jim

Great work. It gets lots of us thinking about a swap.

I put 350 chevy in my Rv. Runs great. I love it. Turns a lot heads when I open the hood . I can't figure why no onelse has done this?

The lexus V8 is one to consider in a swap as well. it is readily available and there are adapters that make it a bolt in swap, in most respects it is an easier swap than the 3.4 (you only get a little more HP with the 3.4 than the 3.0, not worth the 30 hp in my opinion, 160 to 190) no exhaust to rework around things or nearly the clearance issues

as with the 3.4.

neat side note, the1991 mustang GT(5.0) and 1991 corvette(5.7) had less horsepower than the 1991 Lexus 4.0!! Mustang 225, corvette 245, lexus 260-270

now hows that for a bad behind small block!?, plus you still get 300,000 mile Toyota reliability.

post-5618-0-64051500-1317916946_thumb.jp

lets not forget the 2RZ and 3RZ too. great swaps for the 22R/22RE another quality 4 cylinder with 150(2RZ) and 170(3RZ) horsepower

Whats the torque curve look like on the 3RZ?. The 170 hp sounds better than a 22RE, but the ol 22RE has nice low end grunt.

I don't know what the torque curve is for the 3RZ.

My '95 Tacoma has one, but alas, it really puts out 150HP with 177 ft/lb of torque.

Still a great engine though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_RZ_engine

Whats the torque curve look like on the 3RZ?. The 170 hp sounds better than a 22RE, but the ol 22RE has nice low end grunt.

Jim, any chance you have the details on the alternator belt you used?

2011JulySaskatchewantoBCRondo048.jpg

I'm finally ready to get one, I have the 3.0L lower bracket.

Thanks!

Andrew.

Hi Andrew

Just ran out and looked at my belt for alternator,,, it is from Napa,,,,MICR V-AT 25-040405. Hope this helps you, any other questions feel free to ask and I will answer if I can.

Jim

There is another 5VZ-FE (3.4L) swap thread on the Yotatech board! It is very well written and he has taken a ton of photos!

Here is the link:

http://www.yotatech.com/f160/superchiems-toyota-rv-5vz-swap-243241/

IMG_1699.jpg

I buy and sell a lot of cars, usually one at time and they become my daily while i fix them up a bit

so right now Im using a 95 previa s/c, and I foresee putting the engine in my motorhome.

It was only ever used in the previa. it is by location technically a mid engine dohc but it is really a front rwd

it basically lost the north american market to the oddyssy and caravan because it is technically a truck. It weighs a lot for its size

anyhow longg story short, the eupercharged 2.4 liter 4 has 160 hp/190 lbs tq. its a super charger on demand. seems close to ideal for a toy home.

it is roughly the same as the vg v6 but better.

The biggest problem i foresee is it might actually get worse gas mileage. similar either way. a super charger uses gas though definnitely its not a turbo charrger. Its sort of a 4 cyl that becomes a 6 cylinder option.

the engine is called the 2TZFE

and it is definitely rrelated to the 2.7 in tacomas but its a 2.4 super charged, and im going to also call it not a i 4 but a slant 4

i( just noticing the engine code, where t means turbo. must also mean supercharged.)

it would actually be almost 10 times easier to put a super charger on a 22r engine. I guess missing out on the dohc the previa has.

Another bad idea. but a super charged 22re is pretty similar.

been doing a little reading up on MB turbodiesel swaps. The OM617 5 cylinder turbodiesel is quite possibly the best damn ICE ever made. They routinely go more than 500K miles and are very trouble free. MBs later TDs make more power, but, have head issues as they are aluminum. The OM617 is cast iron, all the way through. The 4x4 folks have done a number of them and report mileage in the high twenties with stump puller gears and monster tires.

I would think that a conservatively driven 5 speed OM617 would have little trouble cracking 20 mpg. Also, the injector pumps can be tweaked to get decent power from them, although I think the stock 125hp and 180 ft/lbs is a pretty good match as it is.

ya those are in those mercedes sprinter vans.

my friend gets low 20s in his 6000 lb 23 foot mercedes motorhome. its th 5 cylinder one too.

well I did a quick math on the supercharged previa motor and it should get over 20 mpg in my motorhome and its gas.

in the previa it drags 3800 lbs gets 23 mpg and uses an auto.

there is a diesel version that of course was never for sale in the us that gets over 30 mpg in the previas overseas.