• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes I used the original radiator, I had read that the 4by4 guys have no heating problems with it, infact some say it has more capacity than the 3.4 rad. Anyways the rad from my donor T-100 is too wide. I have done about 1000 miles

since transplant and temp guage stayed same as before. I do not run transmisson cooler lines through rad, didnt before either, I was using factory air to air cooler plus a smaller after market one, but during the swap I replaced them

with at 18000gvw aftermarket one. You see I have installed electric fan, just did that other day, however you can use the 3.0 rad, shroud and clutch fan and all fits as before.

Just for interests sake my customer with the most km on a 3.4 was in today. Its a 96 tacoma and has 653000 km, not even a valve cover has been off, I know as we sold it to him new and I have done all work on it, only timing belts etc.

we have 4 or 5 others who are past the 500000 and none have had anything other than normal maitenance so these are really good engines, trd also has a supercharger for them, now wouldnt that be nice!! I installed a supercharger

on a 2008 tundra 5.7 a couple of weeks ago. What a blast to drive, over 500 hp, think 13 sec quarter mile at about 105mph for a 5600 pound double cab. I would be in trouble all the time!

Jim

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I put 350 chevy in my Rv. Runs great. I love it. Turns a lot heads when I open the hood . I can't figure why no onelse has done this?

The lexus V8 is one to consider in a swap as well. it is readily available and there are adapters that make it a bolt in swap, in most respects it is an easier swap than the 3.4 (you only get a little more HP with the 3.4 than the 3.0, not worth the 30 hp in my opinion, 160 to 190) no exhaust to rework around things or nearly the clearance issues

as with the 3.4.

neat side note, the1991 mustang GT(5.0) and 1991 corvette(5.7) had less horsepower than the 1991 Lexus 4.0!! Mustang 225, corvette 245, lexus 260-270

now hows that for a bad behind small block!?, plus you still get 300,000 mile Toyota reliability.

post-5618-0-64051500-1317916946_thumb.jp

Whats the torque curve look like on the 3RZ?. The 170 hp sounds better than a 22RE, but the ol 22RE has nice low end grunt.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't know what the torque curve is for the 3RZ.

My '95 Tacoma has one, but alas, it really puts out 150HP with 177 ft/lb of torque.

Still a great engine though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_RZ_engine

Whats the torque curve look like on the 3RZ?. The 170 hp sounds better than a 22RE, but the ol 22RE has nice low end grunt.

• 1 month later...

Jim, any chance you have the details on the alternator belt you used?

2011JulySaskatchewantoBCRondo048.jpg

I'm finally ready to get one, I have the 3.0L lower bracket.

Thanks!

Andrew.

• 2 weeks later...

There is another 5VZ-FE (3.4L) swap thread on the Yotatech board! It is very well written and he has taken a ton of photos!

Here is the link:

http://www.yotatech.com/f160/superchiems-toyota-rv-5vz-swap-243241/

IMG_1699.jpg

• 6 months later...

I buy and sell a lot of cars, usually one at time and they become my daily while i fix them up a bit

so right now Im using a 95 previa s/c, and I foresee putting the engine in my motorhome.

It was only ever used in the previa. it is by location technically a mid engine dohc but it is really a front rwd

it basically lost the north american market to the oddyssy and caravan because it is technically a truck. It weighs a lot for its size

anyhow longg story short, the eupercharged 2.4 liter 4 has 160 hp/190 lbs tq. its a super charger on demand. seems close to ideal for a toy home.

it is roughly the same as the vg v6 but better.

The biggest problem i foresee is it might actually get worse gas mileage. similar either way. a super charger uses gas though definnitely its not a turbo charrger. Its sort of a 4 cyl that becomes a 6 cylinder option.

the engine is called the 2TZFE

and it is definitely rrelated to the 2.7 in tacomas but its a 2.4 super charged, and im going to also call it not a i 4 but a slant 4

i( just noticing the engine code, where t means turbo. must also mean supercharged.)

it would actually be almost 10 times easier to put a super charger on a 22r engine. I guess missing out on the dohc the previa has.

Another bad idea. but a super charged 22re is pretty similar.

been doing a little reading up on MB turbodiesel swaps. The OM617 5 cylinder turbodiesel is quite possibly the best damn ICE ever made. They routinely go more than 500K miles and are very trouble free. MBs later TDs make more power, but, have head issues as they are aluminum. The OM617 is cast iron, all the way through. The 4x4 folks have done a number of them and report mileage in the high twenties with stump puller gears and monster tires.

I would think that a conservatively driven 5 speed OM617 would have little trouble cracking 20 mpg. Also, the injector pumps can be tweaked to get decent power from them, although I think the stock 125hp and 180 ft/lbs is a pretty good match as it is.

ya those are in those mercedes sprinter vans.

my friend gets low 20s in his 6000 lb 23 foot mercedes motorhome. its th 5 cylinder one too.

well I did a quick math on the supercharged previa motor and it should get over 20 mpg in my motorhome and its gas.

in the previa it drags 3800 lbs gets 23 mpg and uses an auto.

there is a diesel version that of course was never for sale in the us that gets over 30 mpg in the previas overseas.

• 1 month later...

the 5 cylinder in the sprinter is not the OM617. It is a much newer design. More HP, probably more efficient, but, I still prefer the old OM617. All of those newer engines use aluminum heads. Aluminum heads aren't terribly fond of 25/1 compression. Give me good old cast iron any day with a diesel.

• 3 months later...

a super charger uses gas though definnitely its not a turbo charrger.

A minor point - but a turbocharger IS a type of supercharger. What is called today a "turbocharger" is an exhaust driven supercharger. Years back they were more commonly called "altitude compensators." Putting boost into an engine rarely makes it more fuel efficient. What is does though is allow a small engine to behave like a big engine when the power is needed. When not - and the boost and fuel delivery is down - it can behave like a small engine and get good fuel mileage. Adding boost raises the "effective compression ratio" and subsequently - some boosted engines run lower mechanical compression ratios that sometimes hurts performance when not under boost from any sort of turbo/belt/gear driven supercharger and/or intercooling. That being said, some new engines are getting the best of both worlds but also cost a small fortune.

• 1 month later...

I really think the toyhome would love the dohc and the vtec type technologies almost more than any vehicle.

Its a wot type of thing on the freeway it just needs that opening the valves for the dead spot, like is in the sc previa or any modern car.

I mean since the 90s.

The 3.4 has that technology and its a good fit but Id rather actually have the 1.9 liter dohc vtec type motors in a modern corrolla or civic type of car.

• 2 months later...

Can anyone help me with tranny swap questions? I have the 3 speed auto w/OD currently in my '87 Dolphin (22RE) and want to swap it out for a 5-speed manual. I'm a bit confused about what exact trans I should be looking for? Is it a W56 or something different? Also does it need to be specific to a 2WD truck (no transfer case)?

Also can you provide a basic overview of the project? I would think that the manual should bolt up to the engine and then of course holes have to be made in the firewall for a clutch master & the appropriate plumbing run to the slave, a hole in the tunnel for the shifter. The pedal setup has to be switched to a manual set (this can be taken from a donor truck at the yard?).

What tranny mount/crossmember issues will I encounter & will the driveline need to be modified (shortened as the manual is going to be longer, right?). I guess the wiring for the b/u lights will also have to be modified...any ECM issues?

I really have no clue how to do this but don't worry, I'll be sure to get qualified help in actually performing the swap. Any information you guys (and gals of course) can provide in helping me understand the basic process would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You!

There are a number of V6 and V8 engines that can be swapped into a Toyota. Some of these are discussed in the following link http://www.mindspring.com/~jayk3/toyota/swaps.htm#Engine

both these links do full kits and i mean everything to the strict australian standards as need to be to get certain things legal here

http://www.dellowconversions.com.au/

http://www.rodshop.com.au/

• 4 months later...

Fit? Yes. It's a matter of how much work, more than a matter of if it will fit. A Chevy 350 will fit...

But unless you have a line on a really cheap 3.0 in excellent shape, I'd say that if you're going to do all the work involved in a swap, the 3.0 V6 is NOT the engine to go with. There are much better ones out there.

• 5 months later...

Everyone talks about the 3z in a toyhome but is there anyone that has done it?

Wheres the gas mileage in that one? 3z is starting to get really cheap in used jap engine sites.

I dont have the kind of set up to do something like that I just like to daydream about it.

Any thing within reason will fit deep pockets play a major part in this. The 6 will fit but the wiring is complete different as is the ECU = wiring nightmare. Exhaust systems, motor mounts and tons of little pain in the butt parts. If you want to swap out the trans I would suggest buying a rusted out stick shift truck with the same engine this will save you countless trips to the junk yard to get yet another part you will need.

Fit? Yes. It's a matter of how much work, more than a matter of if it will fit. A Chevy 350 will fit...

But unless you have a line on a really cheap 3.0 in excellent shape, I'd say that if you're going to do all the work involved in a swap, the 3.0 V6 is NOT the engine to go with. There are much better ones out there.

If I had a pre-'89 and wanted more oomph I'd consider the 3RZ (2.7L, 150 hp @ 4800 RPM with 177 lb·ft of torque @ 4000 RPM).

If that wasn't enough, I'd look at the 1UZ-FE. (4L, 256 hp, torque of 260 lb·ft) :)

http://www.yotatech.com/f161/1989-pickup-1uz-fe-auto-dual-t-case-swap-207835/

http://www.rodshop.com.au/toyota/2wd-hilux.htm

Wow that looks pretty simple I'll jump right on that. Lets see I got $21.36 in my pocket and I need a good 250 amp mig welder a plasma cutter and a----.

Well so far as a toyhome the only swap ive seen made reality is the 3.4 and the 4.7

whereas what you want is the 2.7.

Engine swap math always gets to a exageration. If youre going crazy throe in the turbo diesel etc. The enginr cost is only a small part

I don't have a 22R-E, but from the bit of reading I've done the 3RZ-E is closest to a bolt-in swap.

22R-E (Early) - 105 hp (78 kW) at 4,800 rpm and 137 lb·ft (185 N·m) at 2,800 rpm.

22R-E (Late) - 112 hp (84 kW) at 4,600 rpm and 142 lb·ft (192 N·m) at 3,400 rpm.

3VZ-E - 150 hp (112 kW) at 4800 rpm and 180 lb·ft (244 N·m) at 3400 rpm.

3RZ-E - 150 hp (112 kW) at 4800 rpm and 177 lb·ft (240 N·m) at 4000 rpm.

1UZ-FE - 256 hp at 5600 rpm and 260 lb·ft at 4400 rpm. :)

There were other global engines but not in the MH's

78-80 2.2L 20R

81-83 2.4L 22R

83-88 2.4L 22RE

85-86 2.4L turbo 22RET

87- until Toy homes were no longer made 3L 3VZE

The 3VZE did not show up in MH's till 88 regestration

Im not sure what you are listing maineah but the 22re was for sale in toyota trucks until 1995.

For all known motorhomes the model years are 85 to 89

for america the early 22re is primarily in celicas.

But there is one year itS's in trucks which is 84.

its not in any 84 motorhomes

If you are listing engines in toyhomes theres no correlation between that list and reality.

The first year the 22re is in any toyhome is 1985

The 22r is still available in toyhomes until 88

the 2nd edition 22r starts in 85

The first year of the v6 in toyhomes is 89

the first year of the 22r is 1980

the first year of the 20r is 1976

there is actually not one correct date on that list except thr 22ret.