Instrument Cluster Swap

dayoff53

i ordered the oil sending unit yesterday. took the advice of Odessybernard and purchased the oem from a toyota parts company. the price was steep ($63.00 ), but it makes sense to get a part that will not need replacing in a year. thanks for providing the exact part number, made it simple to order. there was a mention of replacing the cluster lights to green or blue? wondering if you have info where to order those, and do they need switched before reinstall of cluster, or can they be switched after reinstall? asking because if i want to switch back or different color preference are the lights easily replaced by reaching up under dash once everything is reconnected? one more inquiry, ednelson posted about having the odometer reset by a "tach shop", what is a tach shop and where would i begin looking for one if i decide not to try the reset procedure myself? the description on how to do it was fairly clear, but i may be inclined to let a pro do it. thanks to all for any help with my questions, and please if anyone has anymore insight, advice or suggestions to help guide me through this swap feel free to chime in. thanks again. joe from dover.

Smart to get the OEM sender, as it's tough to replace as it's so hard to reach.  Mine is only hand tight with Plumbers white tape, really hard to get a wrench in there. It's just above the oil cooler. Don't know if it's easier to pull the alternator as it's just above it.

You have to pull the cluster to change out the lights.  Can't recall where I got the green OEMs but not really worth pulling it again in my opinion.

HEY DEREK, thanks for the link. will call the place to get more info. maybe what i need to have the odo read correctly. thanks again. joe from dover.

• 1 month later...

hey all, need some more info regarding getting the tach to function. do i understand correctly that  i need to run a wire from the coil to the "p" terminal on the cluster? if so how can i identify which wire from the coil is the correct one to splice to? am i looking for a color coded wire, such as a black wire with a yellow stripe? does the schematic identify which wire from the coil to use?  thanks in advance for help with this question. joe from dover.

Joe,

On my V6 I did not have to mess with the coil at all, it was a plug and play other than as descibe above. If you have a 4 cylinder, I would search on yotatech for getting the tach to function properly, as it's been done and described over there. Sorry I can't help more, as it's been quite a while now.

odysseybernard, i have the 6 cyl. 3.0  i guess the previous posts that indicated the added ( to make tach work ) wire was for a 4 cylinder ???   no added wire needed for the 3.0   6 cylinder ? since i am here, another question, the cluster i bought i believe, has a "low fuel" indicator light. will this light function when swap is completed without any other parts, or modifications ? sorry for my ignorance, just thought it would be great to have the low fuel light function as well. thanks in advance. joe from dover.

Tach was jumpy as described way above. I didn't have to add a coil wire.

Just hooked it up as described in dayoffs post, with the yellow wire to the p terminal, and had to disconnect the red wire or the brake  light would stay on. Had to adjust the tach needle to zero with the ign switch on.I don't know about the low fuel level light as I've never let it get that low but it should function if there is one there

ok, thank you again for your help.  i am a little nerve wacky about this, having never attempted something like this before. will be a happy day when i post that it is done and working as expected. thanks again, i need all the help i can get, and then some.  joe from dover.

4 hours ago, odysseybernard said:

Good time to lube the cable while the cluster is out, which I now have to re pull and lube. Speedo needle is shaky and noisy

Did you try adjusting the small square potentiometer screw? Adjusting that stopped mine from shaking.

• 4 months later...

hello all.  as of now i am back to square one with this cluster swap issue. here is what has transpired . i bought what i thought was the correct cluster. the cluster i bought is a CABLE driven speedometer.  my mechanic told me i need an electronic driven speedometer cluster.  how can i determine with 100 percent accuracy that i do indeed need a non cable speedo type cluster?  is there someplace/link i could enter my VIN and get the correct info regarding this issue?  i basically have all winter to research this, just would like some help in where to start.  my mechanic is very knowledgeable, but anyone can make a mistake. could this be a situation where some cabs had both speedo versions in the same model year, mine being a 1992 , 3.0L , 6 cyl, auto trans.  if i do need a electronic type speedo, is this type of cluster more rare and hard to find?  thanks  for any info, opinion, or help with this . joe from dover.

I'm not sure how accurate they are, but maybe enter your VIN into one of the many on-line Toyota Dealers and see if they list a speedo cable for your VIN.

I looked on this one (without your VIN):- https://www.toyotapartsdeal.com/

They list several speedo cable options for 1990 Pickups and none for 1993 pickups.

• 4 months later...

hi again. still working on getting the cluster swap done. with derek's suggestion, i appears my rig does not have a cable driven speedo. i followed derek's advice , and no speedometer cable showed as an available part, although a speed sensor did. so, the cluster i bought last year will not work since it is a cable driven cluster. i have spent many eye straining hours at the computer trying to find a compatible cluster. i have found two or three that will work for me with the exception that they are from a manual shift donor vehicle, thus does not have the pndrl which i would prefer.  does anyone know where i can locate the cluster i need???  requirements :  3.0 v6.  automatic trans.  2 wheel drive. and NON cable driven speedo. must be an electronic speedo. t-100 or 4runners,  from 92 to 95 i believe are swap friendly. any help with this is extremely appreciated. thanks. joe from dover. p.s. to derek- thank you for your tip.

On 6/25/2019 at 9:02 AM, odysseybernard said:

Good time to lube the cable while the cluster is out, which I now have to re pull and lube. Speedo needle is shaky and noisy

Need to do that from the bottom but it makes it a bit easier if the cable is loose.

update: i have been in contact with a seller from the great state of texas that has a nice cluster. the only hitch at the moment is the seller cannot recall if the cluster came from a 3.0v6 or the 3.4v6. does anyone know if the larger 3.4 would make a difference since i have the 3.0 ??? while i am here, another question to throw out there. does it matter if the donor cluster came from a 4wd ?? thanks in advance. joe from dover.

I have removed several cable driven, automatic, 2WD  from Toyota T100 3.4 pickups and installed them in 3.0 RVs and they worked just fine. I'm not sure if they even made an automatic 4WD drive that would have the PN DLR cluster that you need.

Defrag has swapped the electronic cluster and did have a couple issues, try contacting him or look up his posts.

ednelson100,  thanks for the reply. you have just answered one of the major questions i had. i can now assume buying a cluster that came from a 3.4v6 will work just fine. thank you so much. and the 4wd vs. 2wd issue is probably not relevant. i am trying to ask questions to cover any possible conflict, before purchasing another cluster only to find for some reason IT will not work. been there, done that LOL. thanks again. much appreciated. i would really like to accomplish this project this year, before camping season is here. joe from dover

i found a yotatech thread that covered all my questions and provided an in depth (with lots of photos) step by step swap procedure. thanks for all your help everyone. i have  the electronic driven cluster on order. who knows maybe will get swapped soon. LOL. and i do have a very nice cable driven cluster for sale!!. thanks again to all. joe from dover.

hi derek. i am not smart enough to "share a link" the way you probably would, but i can tell you how i got there ! i googled  T-100 INSTRUMENT CLUSTER, when the line popped up  T-100 CLUSTER REMOVAL,   i clicked on that. then the  YotaTech forun block (?) came up and i scrolled down to i think the last line which read, "sr5 gauge cluster swap. how to with pics. 04-08-2009." when i clicked on that it brought me to the toyotatech page with that topic. topic title on the yotatech page was "toyota 4 runner 1984-1995 how to swap gauge cluster. date of topic 02-09-2016  10:13am.  don't know if this helps, hope it does because the yotatech thread was really helpful for someone that has no knowledge of this stuff, that someone being me. lol. joe from dover.

Edited by hunkaman
hit wrong key

• 3 months later...

to quote from a grateful dead song, "what a long strange trip it's been". finally found an electronic speedo cluster. i had previously purchased the cable driven version, which was the wrong one. i am having the cluster installed this week by a mechanic skilled in these things. will be happy this "trip" is done. joe from dover.