SR5 Seats from 90-95 4Runner

Our original seats are just not as good as the top level seats available form Toyota. The 4Runners top model have a very adjustable drivers seat, i think they call it a 7 way seat. You could even get them in leather if you like smile.gif They are 100% bolt-in.

In my area we have a abundance of the Japanese Domestic Market 4Runners (Surf) around here, so when one came up in the parts section of the local 4X4 board, I jumped at the chance to get the seats fror it! I spent the next year searching for a local 4Runner being parted out with a drivers seat to match the JDM seats I had. (They are available, but for more $ that i wanted to spend on them...) I took the two drivers seats (one left and one right) and just bolted them in... Now Driver and Passenger have the 7 way seats! Perfect for the long-haul trips to come!

100_2222.jpg

The original seats

100_2226.jpg

And the new ones!

100_2227.jpg

Notice that they have the pockets on the back too! :ThumbUp:

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I have an 88 chassis (21' Sunrader) and the seats are painful after the first hour!

Can you tell me which years of which Toyota models will bolt into this?

Also, was the seven way seat just drivers side?

Sorry, I don't know if it will work on the 88' model... I have seen the older 4runners have the same seats so i could "Guess" Yes... ?

EDIT: Just saw this on another Toyota site:

I did this swap in a 1985 toy 2wd regular cab, took the seats out of an 1990 4runner. 3 of the 4 holes bolted up, the other hole was a couple inches over i just welded up a little bracket and it worked perfect.

Normally, yes just the drivers side seat would be 7 way, but I went out and found a Right-handed drivers side seat for the passenger side too! :)

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Just wanted to thank you fo the idea. Last month i lucked out and found some seats for a decent price. They are exactly like the ones you installed although only my drivers seat has 7 way adjusment. What a easy and great up grade, much more comfortable on long trips!

Bob

The longest trip that I have taken was 3 hours without a break. The seats are a little stiff and not very adjustable.

I think that I will be watching for vehicles being parted out for a pair of those seats. If you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay for the new ones?

The longest trip that I have taken was 3 hours without a break. The seats are a little stiff and not very adjustable.

I think that I will be watching for vehicles being parted out for a pair of those seats. If you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay for the new ones?

I'm super cheep... So I was only going to spend $100... But in the end it ended up costing me $150... It took a long time to find two in mint condition though. I did find lots if you were willing to spend $250 +

Andrew.

• 2 weeks later...

did you all add new seat beats as well , are they part of the seat

Nope, not part of the seat :)The originals work great!

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi What yr and what did you have a dolphin? I have a 1992 New Horizons Toy. What do you think would work? Or where can I find out what will work? Also, you said you paid $250. 00 was that total for two? Thank you!

Yes yours is the same as mine, the 4runner/truck SR5 seats from 1989~1995 will just bolt right in for you. Total I paid is $150 for both seats. The ones in very nice shape are out there, but usually they are very expensive. If you take your time and look around they can be had for around $100 ($80 is the lowest I have seen recently)

Good luck! :-)

Andrew.

I have been blessed! :D

I found a pair of cloth seats from a 95 SR5. In great shape and in tan to match my truck's cab interior. I'm taking them out first thing in the morning at my local salvage yard. I'm paying $50 for the pair. Hmm... We could be going on longer trips, now. :)

I also got new plush carpeting and sheet flooring for my Toy. So excited to get her all spruced up for the summer. Oh Yeah! B)

I want to thank you all for all the good advice on this site. I couldn't have done so much, without your help.

WOW! Those look GREAT! I might look into something such as your beautiful upgrade. I really don’t need the 7 way, as I am 6 foot 2 with long torso, so I have to have seat reclined a bit so my head doesn’t hit the headliner, and then back all the way. I like the lumbar curve and side support bolstering though. I am sure even though my Dolly is an '83, with some hole in the floor mods like MAXX suggested, they could be made to work. I was going this route:

http://www.jcwhitney.com/pro-90-compact-seats/p2023675.jcwx?skuId=868305&filterid=d2183y1983g24u0j1

OR, with seat track mod maybe something like this:

http://www.jcwhitney...d=d2183y1983g24

But, after seeing your awesome retrofit, I would rather have a good quality factory grade product, THANKS for the share! Peace!

I really don’t need the 7 way, as I am 6 foot 2 with long torso, so I have to have seat reclined a bit so my head doesn’t hit the headliner, and then back all the way. I like the lumbar curve and side support bolstering though.

In that case, you should look at the Honda CRX Si seats! I put a set in my 81 Toyota (around 20 years ago...) If I remember right, the front supports just need to be bent with a big crescent wrench just a wee bit, and two new holes drilled into the floor for the rear, on the inside rear, I had to make a small spacer so it would sit level.. they were great seats, they hold you in there and are very nice on long drives... they also sit a bit lower too!

Here is a picture of them from the web...

21orj0g.jpg

A.

Good luck finding a pair in a junkyard that doesn't have the driver's side bolster all worn out.

Also, try and sit in any seats you want to swap in. A seat that's comfortable for one, might be less so for others, despite car manufacturers attempts to make them fit everyone. I used to travel on business a fair amount in the '80s and '90s. A common 'renter' was the Pontiac Grand Am. I never liked the seats. I found the bolsters squeezed my backside.

In that case, you should look at the Honda CRX Si seats! I put a set in my 81 Toyota (around 20 years ago...) If I remember right, the front supports just need to be bent with a big crescent wrench just a wee bit, and two new holes drilled into the floor for the rear, on the inside rear, I had to make a small spacer so it would sit level.. they were great seats, they hold you in there and are very nice on long drives... they also sit a bit lower too!

A.

Those look great as well. I saw a number of Toyota car seats on E-bay as well that looked like they would work. I like the thin profile of those CRX seats, and if too low, I'm sure one could have a couple riser plates fashioned of some kind where the rails and sliders would bolt to. I plan to redo the cab interior with-in the next year or so with some kind of better seats, new carpeting, recovering the door panels. I want to get rid of that 80's brown polyester plaid, and green shag cut pile, PEW! Good advice about trying a car that has the seats one might want to use Derek, maybe go look at some at a used car lot that is selling one and lookie loo a bit to try them on. Things for an 80's vehicle are no doubt gonna be hard to locate in good condition, so having other options as people are giving here is great. Also great is having a friend who is a master welder who has a TIG, MIG, and all in between that can modify seat rails with the old ones, or make floor plates to accomidate anything that doesnt fit perfectly. Have a great time and good luck with all your seat mods! PEACE!

• 1 month later...

Those crx seats look great. Similar to the prelude seats of a similar vintage I put in my '86 sunrader.

My '90 Odyssey has better seats, so I am not in a great hurry to find replacements, but, if I come across a set of those SR5 chairs for cheap, I will hop on them.

I swapped in some 03' Ford King Ranch leathers in mine. (the style that had the really wide headrest) removed the ford bracket from them; angle grinder cut the toyota bracket and track; then welded and bolted on to the ford. Heated aniline goodness. The seat belts in my sunrader were bolted into the floor separately and not part of the seat assembly at all; thus i unbolted the King ranches as they were useless.

The seat backs make nice places for kids to step on and also shield from incoming shrapnel from the back in event of accident

• 2 weeks later...

the sport seats in my bmw e30 are awesome

183941_185165978186052_7085433_n.jpg

not power but they are heated. would love to have some like this in my toyota.

The bmw is for sale

• 1 month later...

I upgraded the seats on my 1986 Sunrader using seats from a 1990 SR5 (exactly like Bunney's first post in this thread). The bolts in the runners from the SR5 fit perfectly from front to back, but were 1inch off measuring from side to side. When I lined up the bolts up in the center first, new holes could easily be drilled into the original extra reinforcing for the seat runners under the floor. I found the seats on Craigs List and while the bolster on the driver's side is slightly worn, the new seats show much less wear than the original seats which had a split in the seat and squashed foam.

Also, note the door panels were originally two-tone brown and beige and had numerous discolored spots that I could not remove. When I took the door panel off to seal the plastic inside the door to stop cold air from blowing through the door handles, I spray painted the panels using a spray paint for plastics. I painted the handles to match while they were off the door. Unfortunately, I spray painted the panels before I found the seats or I might have chosen some color other than Espresso.

post-4493-0-54413400-1346606588_thumb.jp

I only drilled two holes in the floor of the cab on the side nearest the door (for both driver and passenger side seats). I did not drill new holes in the runners. The new 1990 runners fit the 1986 bolt holes in the cab floor perfectly on one side but not both sides. I could line up the runners and the holes on the floor either toward the center of the cab or toward the outside, but not both at the same time. I found that it was easiest to bolt the 1990 runners into the old 1986 holes in the center of the cab and then mark where to drill new holes into the floor on the side nearest to the door. The new holes were about an inch closer to the center of the cab than the old 86 holes. The metal reinforcing under the floor of the cab was wide enough to accommodate the new bolt holes. I did not tap the new holes. I used a new slightly longer bolt, nut and lock washer.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Coincidentally I thought of the same thing after driving home from Santa Cruz last night. Will be looking into the 3rd Gen 4Runner with power seat and see if they fit. I found the Sienna seats are very comfy as well...wondering if they bolt on...will check with my dad's Sienna

I upgraded the seats on my 1986 Sunrader using seats from a 1990 SR5 (exactly like Bunney's first post in this thread). The bolts in the runners from the SR5 fit perfectly from front to back, but were 1inch off measuring from side to side. When I lined up the bolts up in the center first, new holes could easily be drilled into the original extra reinforcing for the seat runners under the floor. I found the seats on Craigs List and while the bolster on the driver's side is slightly worn, the new seats show much less wear than the original seats which had a split in the seat and squashed foam.

Also, note the door panels were originally two-tone brown and beige and had numerous discolored spots that I could not remove. When I took the door panel off to seal the plastic inside the door to stop cold air from blowing through the door handles, I spray painted the panels using a spray paint for plastics. I painted the handles to match while they were off the door. Unfortunately, I spray painted the panels before I found the seats or I might have chosen some color other than Espresso.

They look awesome, and thanks to you and Bunneys for sharing! Dont worry about the espresso I think it looks fine, but, you can always go back sometime and go with black? I have some shopping to do for next seasons project list!

Coincidentally I thought of the same thing after driving home from Santa Cruz last night. Will be looking into the 3rd Gen 4Runner with power seat and see if they fit. I found the Sienna seats are very comfy as well...wondering if they bolt on...will check with my dad's Sienna

I also have a 98 4runner and have already tried that :-), Sadly they are not a direct bolt-in seat. one of the three mounts in the 3rd gen 4Runner/ Tacoma trucks mounts to the side of the trans hump tunnel... I have no idea about the Sienna though...

Good luck!

TacomaSue, those look Great!! Great Job.

Andrew.

• 8 months later...

What I would really need is an arm rest. I think the seat on my 1990 Itasca is okay for now. The Sienna's seats have foldable arm rests. I still haven't checked and see if it's going to fit. I double it but it's worth checking. Powered and heated seats are nice upgrade from stocked one.

• 2 weeks later...

90s Acura seats will fit better than 90s 4Runner seats. 82 might be different, but I had to do VERY little work to get Acura seats in my 78.

If that's what you end up getting let me know, and I'll explain what I did. As long as you have bucket seats now, you're in really good shape.

Check out the 5th post on page three. http://toyotamotorhome.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=5648

I read some stuff at the YotaTech forum where others have used Acura seats in their old Toyota trucks. Do you know if Honda seats are the same as Acura seats?

Yes. In fact I think mine are actually Honda, but it sounds fancier to say Acura.

This was a few years ago, but I remember going back & forth between a couple different Acuras and Hondas, and might have decided a Honda had the best of the bunch. I didn't check to see if the mounts were the same.

But I'd assume that the only difference is trim and labeling, ie the highest level Honda and lowest level Acura are identical except for the name on the outside.

So there's just the idea that if it says Acura on it, it's going to have at least as fancy seats as the nicest Honda.