Dolphin Over Cab Bubble Window

OhioDolphin

I've recently had an RV repair facility do a complete rebuild of the over cab area of my 1989 Dolphin. $$$$ project. Nevertheless, it is still leaking at the bubble window and I'm being told I should replace the bubble window with a custom made replacement - over $500 for just the window. I've suggested deleting the window, but apparently that is more expensive. So, the bubble window is not cracked, just old seals. The RV repair facility does not think they can find new seals to repair the bubble window. Does this make sense? Any recommendations and comment about experience with this problem would be appreciated.

The repair facility seem to feel bad that the window is leaking after $$$$, so I think if I can provide the proper seals/molding/gasket - whatever you call it - they will try again without additional charge.

The key to a leakproof front window is a nice rubber seal. The seam of the rubber seal should be at the bottom to allow water to drain from the trough. Notice that all the vertical windows have drain ports to allow water to drain from the window frame., but the front and back windows do not have these drains.

The angle of the front window would make a drain useless, but the back window could use these drains OR make sure the rubber seam is at the bottom, otherwise, water could get trapped in the frame, and flow to the inside of the frame and leak down on the inside.

The method used for original construction was chosen for ease of assembly, not longevity, If everything is working correctly, there is no need for sealants, etc, the rubber seal doesn't really seal, it pressed the window against the frame.

The problem with time, the rubber starts loosing its elasticity and no longer presses the window against the frame.

Look carefully at the inside of the window frame. if you see water in the frame trough, then this is the problem. There was a thread about this with some very nice artwork. I believe the thread was related to a Sunrader front window, they have a different type window than we do.

Anyway, I decided to make my own. I'm glad I did. I had several rocks hit the window that I know would have broken (cracked) the original plastic window, but just bounced off the Lexan window.

http://toyotamotorhome.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=3755

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

My front window (seabreeze "sister of the dolphin") was cracked and leaking, I removed the window this weekend, purchased a 60"x30" 1/8' sheed of plexiglass, used the old window as a pattern cut and fit a new flat window, used a accriic adhesive-caulk to reinstall to fram. I disposed of the old age cracked ruber seal. The new window being clear I purchased and installed a "pickup rear window shade-privacy screen and installed over my front window. I did Seal the "window decal in with clear sealer around the edges. If it goes bad I have more material to redo the window 2 more times.:hyper:

John, you are right on target. The water is accumulating in the trough on the inside part of the window frame. So, as I understand it, I should forget about finding seals, replace undamaged plexiglass bubble with a slightly thicker sheet of lexan, and then handle the sealing with caulking as outlined in your older post. Thank you for providing the link to your older post because when I searched this topic I did not find that post.

I'm also interested in hearing from other Dolphin owners too. I plan to assemble the responses and provide them to the repair facility to see which approach they are willing to undertake.

Great (well, kinda)

If you have a new front window thats in good shape, you could re-use it. Mine was cracked and needed to be replaced. The only negative about doing it with my method, if I ever need to replace the front window, it will be a pain in the but, as I'll need to dig out all the sealant. Hopefully, the window will outlast me. :-)

Double check your rear window, make sure the rubber seam is at the bottom. This allows water to drain from the frame, rather than seep up between the frame and the window, and leak to the inside of the frame.

I'll continue to look for that thread where we had posted some good drawings of this phenomena.

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

I'm hoping that my "tinted bubble window" over my dolphin's cab, never gives me any problems. The dark tinted glass keeps the interior cooler and retains privacy for occupants. The bubble shape gives a little pizzaz to a somewhat boring part of my Toy home. Don't know why they all didn't have this feature. ^^

84 Toy;

I like the bubble also. unfortunantly, they are not very resiliant to being hit by rocks.

I used clear lexan, and then purchased some of that window tint stuff and put on it. Looks great and is functional.

One thing I noticed immediately, SOUND. The Lexan window was much quieter than the original window when driving down the road.

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

• 4 years later...

Could you post steps/photos of the process of replacing the window?

My girlfriend just cracked ours when I took it out to recaulk the window (previous owner spraypainted it black wnr we were gonna try and get it back to the original clear condition.

• 4 years later...

This thread was posted in 2015 but I have a similar problem with my dolphin bubble window. The plastic on the plexiglass is cracked and taped and sealed with ugly black stuff. It does not leak now but looks bad. I am currently repairing and painting the exterior but I don’t know what I can do (anything) to make the bubble window “look” better.  I thought of painting the frame and randomly putting on some stickers or something. Any ideas or suggestions?

E5D60FC4-C5E6-4D4C-A51D-A5F7C030BDCA.jpeg

7D3078F4-D32C-4626-B6BC-6E77D731E736.jpeg

Thankyou so much for your help. I didn’t even know about this stuff!