Interesting stereo wiring

Adeibold

I recently bought a new stereo and speaker for my 84' Sunrader.

When I removed the older head unit I was greeted with standard HOME audio cable instead of the standard car audio cable that is compatible with a Toyota wiring harness kit.

Has anyone else replaced their head unit and found this? Is it something that was done when the cab was converted to incorporate the MH? Just wondering if mine is like anyone else's out there.

Thanks,

Alex

Edited by Adeibold

• 4 weeks later...

I ran into the same thing with my 85 Sunrader. I assumed it was a poorly executed installation by the previous owner since the radio I replaced was not a stock Toyota unit. I now have a standard Toyota harness.

brad

• 1 month later...

Mine (92 Winnebago) wasn't that weird, but all the wires from the stereo went into a nearly-square 9-pin connector, then 4 went from there to the back speakers and the rest into a standard Toyota harness. When I put in my new stereo, I also put in a standard Toyota rear speaker harness and cut out what was there, so that it is now all "standard" and any future stereo change will be easy.

• 3 weeks later...

I am installing a JVC stereo in my Escaper. When I removed the old, nofunctional radiom, i found that whatever has placed there my toyota had been removed. As a result, all I have to work with was 4 wires (lamp cord. )

There wer no power line or ground wires. Not tough to run new wires but where in the heck did the original radion hook up? Was this the result of somebody with a wire cutter going crazy?

• 3 months later...

I have a similar issue with my 1992 Itasca Spirit. I took out the old stereo and have the standard harness for the power, front speakers, etc. and then a separate after market harness that I'm pretty sure is for the rear speakers as they seem to be spliced into the front speaker wiring, but then there are 4 speaker wires that go under the carpet and towards the back, I assume these are right rear positive and negative and left rear positive and negative. My question is how can I tell which is which. I checked the colors of the wires at the rear speakers and they are different so they must be spliced somewhere along the way.

Any thoughts?

photo.JPG

Mine (92 Winnebago) wasn't that weird, but all the wires from the stereo went into a nearly-square 9-pin connector, then 4 went from there to the back speakers and the rest into a standard Toyota harness. When I put in my new stereo, I also put in a standard Toyota rear speaker harness and cut out what was there, so that it is now all "standard" and any future stereo change will be easy.

Yeah, that looks like what I found in my '92 Warrior. I used a multitester to figure out which went where. Sorry, but I don't remember what I discovered.

Thanks David. Sounds like we have the same set up. I checked the rear speakers and the left and the right are the same colors too.

Yeah, that looks like what I found in my '92 Warrior. I used a multitester to figure out which went where. Sorry, but I don't remember what I discovered.

Alright, with some help from David I figured out what went where and I figured I'll post it here to share the knowledge.

• Red = Left Negative
  • Pink = Left Positive
  • Yellow = Right Negative
  • Light Green/Gray = Right Positive

If you need to ID speakers use a flash light battery touch both wires to the battery and it will "click" if you are looking for polarity the speaker will pull in if correct and push out if reversed. Of course you'll have to observe battery polarity. I think you'll find most have zip cord going to the coach.