Interior Cabinet Lighting

B):w00t: Just put some lights inside my kitchen cabinets. Got tired of using a flash light everytime we needed something. Thought some of you might be interested. Use the link below for the full story and more pictures.

Cabinet Light Project

Here is a photo with the lights on. No flash was used for the photo.

cablight1.jpg

• 1 year later...

Greg- the lights look pretty impressive and the google linked

website

http://www.frostybytes.com/category_s/19.htm?Click=3

shows that they are dirt cheap. I dont think the bare

bulbs would look very good in the cabin however. Do you know

of any light fixtures with covers over the bulbs that have

a more "finished" appearance ?

Scott

You probably saw my post in the yahoo group but I'll duplicate it here. The lights draw very little amperage, 5 milla amps I think. I have a couple more and plan to remove the flourescent fixture that is left and replace it with a cathode. I am going to put together a housing for it. I have even thought of putting one in the refrigerator. One noticable thing is that they are bright when you first power them on but get brighter after a few seconds. The color temp is close to a cool white from a flourescent but a tad warmer. I'll take a pic of the stove and sink lights tonight and post the pics.

• 6 months later...

Hey guys,

Great article!! I noticed a link as broken, so here's a new on via Froogle:

http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=%22col...=en&btnG=Search

Also, LEDs are getting brighter and brighter the Luxeon? LED is a great example. Although LEDs are general more expensive than other lighting, they're prices are going down.

I put a couple red LED 1157 bulbs that I had laying around in one of the light fixtures in my Sunrader so I could use it as night light. They work great and generate WAY lest heat. I plan on getting new lens since the old lens are discolored from the heat of the original bulbs. (Note: the fixtures are designed to use 1156 bulbs)

And as Turbo Gregg noted, the low amp draw is a BIG plus.

Suggested links:

http://ledmuseum.home.att.net/

http://www.globalsources.com/manufacturers...7-LED-Bulb.html

http://www.superbrightleds.com/specs/115x-x12x19.htm

Edited by Dirk

I wired in 2 T1/34 blue lamps and a switch into the cealing in the bathroom,

makes a great nite light. If you leave them on no problem as the draw is only about 20ma.

Great project, Greg - I was wondering if anyone would use these new kind of lights. I ran across them awhile back on a computer site and thought they might have some RV applications. I know you have the microswitches already installed, but you might consider using magnetic reed relays as they probably would be easier to adjust and be less visible.

Dirk - thanks for the great idea of using the LED taillight replacements for a nightlight - my wife sometimes has to get up in the night to use the john, and hates to turn on that bright light in there!

Bill

Thanks bill

I had thought of the magnetic reed witches but could not find what I wanted locally. So I went for the micro switches. They were not real hard to adjust, just a simple bending of the lever. When I first installed the lights I was worried that they would easily break from road shock. But they have withstood several miles of dirt roads. Since the cabinet project I have gutted a fluorescent light and installed two cold cathodes in it for over the table. Works great. Next project is a led reading light on a flexible wand for the bed. I have found that a single key chain led light is sufficient for reading.

Greg

• 1 month later...

Hey these are neat! :) I especially like your switches and the low draw!

One question tho... is the "power supply" needed to reduce the voltage for the lights or is it a converter? And can one use these lights 12v direct?

Also how long do you find yourself wandering around Fry's? I can't seem to get out of that store... lots of great stuff!

They do need the power supply. It raises and produces a high frequency voltage. The pwr supply is actually called a river. The best place to purchase them in on the internet. Do a search for cold cathode lighting and do some price research for the white. You will be able to find much cheaper than Fry's.

Yes Fry's is a hard to store to not want to walk around and check stuff out. My favorite store is the Fremont store. The have one of the worlds largest Telsla Coils in operation and one of the worlds highest Jacobs ladders.

Greg