Front mount bike rack?

I have a 1989 21' Sunrader, with that cute golf club box on the back. It has a factory hitch which is just u-bolted to the 4x4 back bumper.

I need a good way to put bikes on it. It is a real pain to carry them in the coach, I don't trust the ladder, I don't want to put it on top (too hard to get it up and down) and I worry about the torque caused by putting a long trailer hitch on to clear the cargo box and then putting a bike rack on it.

Has anyone tried mounting bikes on the front? If so, I'd like to hear about your experience. Seems like there is more spare weight carrying capacity in the front than in the rear, so it might be OK...

• 4 years later...

I saw a guy yesterday in an F250 with exactly what your talking about. I've been scratching my head as where to put bicycles and the front is a good location. I am not sure how he had the hitch attached , but it looked exactly like a tow hitch, but bolted to the front. I think a company called CURT makes them..I think they have a multi fit in Walmart for 88 bucks...http://www.walmart.com/msharbor/ip/Reese-Towpower-Class-III-Multi-Fit-Hitch/1957059

Would love to see a few pics of someone that has successfully installed a bike rack on the front of their rig. I did a mock up and IF you have a bike with removable front tire and seat it looks like a normal bike frame will miss the headlights and still allow air to pass through the radiator.

I saw a guy yesterday in an F250 with exactly what your talking about. I've been scratching my head as where to put bicycles and the front is a good location. I am not sure how he had the hitch attached , but it looked exactly like a tow hitch, but bolted to the front.

This Winnebago-Toyota pulled up next to me while getting gas in the Michigan UP a few weeks ago. Sault Sainte Marie. His rig has a front hitch. I see many trucks with front hitches around here. Not many Toyota RVs though, with front hitch or not. Some people like them for launching boats. Lets you keep the drive wheels on dry land when using a rear wheel drive.

post-6578-0-44644600-1438196575_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-82048100-1438196578_thumb.jp