Thoughts on Leaving Dogs in RVs

fixiewrek

So as a new owner of a 1992 Itasca Spirit, road trips are being planned and of course, the dogs are coming. My question is related to how hot does it get in an RV and is it okay to leave the mutts in there for a number of hours if I go hiking, biking, etc. With an RV you have a lot more room for them to be in, insulation, ceiling air vents, large windows, blinds and shades that could be lowered and even a fan could be run. Of course, I would not leave them in a car in any sort of even warm climate, but I also don't think twice about leaving them at home on hot days.

So with an RV in the middle of the two I'm wondering what your thoughts are.So from everyone's experience and thoughts is it okay to leave dogs in the RV, at what outdoor temps, and for how long?  Thoughts are appreciated.

And just to not ruffle anyone's feathers, I love my dogs and want to take them everywhere with me, but there are some things they just can't do. But they are treated like kings.

Well, if the dogs don't go, I don't go. In the 90's we traveled all over America in a '80 Odyssey with two retrievers, great fun. And we'll bring our dogs along in our soon-to-be-rebuilt Sunrader.

The biggest danger is that you'll be a target for the self-righteous types who believe any animal in any vehicle equals abuse. (One cool drizzle day in Wahington state we had an old lady screaming at us and treatening to call the police. Luckily her husband had a more level head: "Shut up, Doris" was his comment.) So I suggest you block the dogs access to the front seat area, you don't want passers-by to see a panting dog looking out the window at them with those big eyes.

Or, better yet, bring the dog along...most hiking trails are OK with a dog on leash, Home Depot now welcomes dogs...times are a-changein, just ask. (We met a guy in a grocery store in Oregon with a big german shepard in a service dog harness. When we identified ourselves as fellow RV'ers and dogpeople he confessed, in a whisper, that his dog was really just a favorite pet costumed as a service dog so he could take it into the store.)

I leave my dog if absolutely necessary but only if it doens't feel HOT for me.

I also have a powered fan that I put on when I am gone, and of course WATER.

My dog loves her comfy place in the RV much better than in the car.

Henry

Well, if the dogs don't go, I don't go. In the 90's we traveled all over America in a '80 Odyssey with two retrievers, great fun. And we'll bring our dogs along in our soon-to-be-rebuilt Sunrader.

The biggest danger is that you'll be a target for the self-righteous types who believe any animal in any vehicle equals abuse. (One cool drizzle day in Wahington state we had an old lady screaming at us and treatening to call the police. Luckily her husband had a more level head: "Shut up, Doris" was his comment.) So I suggest you block the dogs access to the front seat area, you don't want passers-by to see a panting dog looking out the window at them with those big eyes.

Or, better yet, bring the dog along...most hiking trails are OK with a dog on leash, Home Depot now welcomes dogs...times are a-changein, just ask. (We met a guy in a grocery store in Oregon with a big german shepard in a service dog harness. When we identified ourselves as fellow RV'ers and dogpeople he confessed, in a whisper, that his dog was really just a favorite pet costumed as a service dog so he could take it into the store.)

Not a bad idea to keep them out of sight. I think as long as they are comfy they will be fine.

I'd love to bring them and do bring them most places, but we'll be road riding so there's no way they can come along. When we go mt. biking my dog comes along and LOVES it!!!

I'm a dog lover and I see no reason why not it's probably cooler inside with the windows and vents open then outside in the sun. I had a woman ream me once for leaving my dog in the car while I did a short shopping adventure until I pointed out that the car was running and the dog was cooler with the A/C on then she was.

We leave our dog in our toyhouse, using a maxivent temp. controlled fan (12 volt) which makes it as cool as laying in the shade outside. I purchase a new ac unit (roof mounted) this winter mainly for our dog on hot days, We are outside and the dog likes to be inside :rolleyes:

• 2 months later...

Have spent 50+/- days camping in the RV with dogs in the last year including a 25 day stretch in the national forest in Colorado. For my Rhodisian Ridgeback we just tried to stay in the shade and opened the windows. With the new Old English Bulldog puppy we bought a dc fan for 15$ and keep it on him in the kennel. I recomend the reflective screens for the front seating area and we put down the privacy cutain to keep the back cool. We also darkend the windows with a kit from the store 20$.

• 10 months later...

If you can always try to park with some shade over the truck cab area. Install a powered roof vent fan and turn it on exhaust (heat rises) with some windows on the shade side open. A key factor is to keep sunlight out. RV's will stay cooler much longer than passenger vehicles. But if its 120 outside use good judgment. If your inside a store for along time (walmart run) try and take a break and go out and do a welfare check.

• 1 year later...

I have had ladies start freaking out that the dog was in the camper even when I came to the window telling them I was in there too! I have been in the RV with the dog on a 90 degree day at the beach with breeze and when curtains closed really was quite comfy...never leave a dog in a closed air conditioned car...you will b arrested.